Makeout Club

Part Five.

Druscilla never spoke to Brendon about that time when she was in hospital and he lay beside her praying. Shalisa never spoke to William again about how she felt. Gabe never told Druscilla that she was the only thing that made him happy and he was sorry he screwed up so bad. William never told Ryan or Brendon or anyone that he was planning to leave town the afternoon after he'd woken up next to Shalisa. Druscilla never spoke to Shalisa about that time Brendon whispered a prayer to her. Shalisa never spoke to Dru about the time her and Brendon had sex after William left.

No one ever spoke to anyone about anything, because William left before anyone had a chance to shatter their careful web of lies. It was better that way. After Druscilla was discharged everything that was so carefully hanging on the ledge fell. It fell into the ocean and fucking drowned.

A familiar sounding song is loud in the speakers, and the city is flashing passed quickly. Dru was sitting and singing, legs crossed, knee's poking out, in the passenger seat, her voice hiding in the volume of the music. She is full of contrast - more alive and closer to death than ever before. Cocaine stinging fresh in her veins.

"What?" she looked over, her glazed eyes suspecting Brendon's soft stare.

"Nothing," he glanced his directive back to the road, his foot longing to hit the brakes and turn around.

"What?" she knew it wasn't nothing. His mouth looked like it was trying to form words, sentences, something.

"You're high aren't you?" he twitched.

"No shit Sherlock," she laughed loud and fast. Scary fast.

"No need to be smart," he mumbled. His fingers were tight on the steering where, the tip of his thumb was losing feeling. He didn't mind, he wished the numbness to go deeper with its pins and needles and sting him right in the heart. It made it easier to forget.

Forget why he was driving her away. Literally, too. After William went away, so did everyone’s spark. Shalisa was affected the worst; you wouldn't know it, though. You wouldn't know that she cried herself to sleep clutching at the t-shirt he'd left on the bathroom floor; once wet with the dampness of his body, now soaked through with her salty tears. She couldn't help but wonder if he'd been planning to leave the whole time. If he'd been standing under the steaming shower, thinking about how he was going to leave her. You wouldn't know how often these contradictory thoughts passed her mind, she hid it well. Each day she smiled a little less, ate a little more, and cried when no one was watching.

Be default, if Shalisa wasn't coping, either was Dru. She'd severed most of her ties with Gabe, but every now and again he'd pop in for a visit, for another shot at ruining her life. She was into heavier stuff now too, cocaine, heroine, meth. The more she took, she sadder she got. And the sadder she got, the more she took.

So now Brendon is taking her away.

"I don't know why you're doing this," she whispered, the cocaine dictating her tremulous and sudden change in mood, "I didn't do anything wrong," tears were burning around the rims of her heavily lined eyes.

"Because you need to get better -” she cut him off with a big horrible laugh and choke, breathing in heavily, and sighing.

"What do you care, anyway? What makes me so great? You left Ryan behind. He needs to get better, has he told you he's hearing things again? Yeah, he is. And Shalisa? She's an emotional wreck Brendon, she can't stop crying! And you - you hypocritical fuck," she spat her words out, not being able to get them out quick enough, "how dare you take me away, when you're almost just as bad, just as bad, Brendon!" her voice wailed much louder than the speakers now.

"Shut the fuck up Druscilla. If you kept your knees together we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place."

She went to speak but stopped.

Because at that moment she realise he really genuinely hated her. He cared enough, but there was pure hatred in his voice.

"How long until we're there?"

"As long as I say."

She didn't speak for the rest of the trip.

When the car pulled up at a comfortable looking suburban home instead of a whitewashed nut-house she was confused, maybe she was seeing things, she's slept the rest of the drive and her eyes were blurry and fuzzy.

A warm voice filled the car, speaking in beside Brendon, coming through the drivers window. William.

"How long do you want me to have her here, Bren?" he looked in at her, disapproving, but he understood.

"As long as it takes."

"Takes for what?" Dru questioned.

"For everything to be better again." William smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have 9 subscribers so I expect 9 comments ;)