Status: Complete

A Walk Through Hell

Chapter XI

It's the first day of school, I'm nine now. It’s been three years since Faith died. My teacher is heavy set and has a military haircut. He looks like he can pick up a tank. I make my way to the back of the room. His voice isn't as deep as I thought it would be. Most of the kids look scared of him, except one girl. She has short black hair, pale skin, bright blue eyes. She looks like a dark angel. Did I really think that? Class seems to last forever. I counted the seconds I stared at her, three thousand, wow a fifty minute class.

Finally recess comes around, I hate recess. Even in elementary school I never have anyone to hang out with. I walk around and calmly watch all the people around me. All the girls are pretty but they don't measure up to her. The jock boys are tackling each other, the yard duties are just standing there watching them and laughing. Pricks. At the play set, a couple of kids are hanging upside down. That's a concussion just waiting to happen. I'm hating fourth grade already. That's when I see her. She sitting underneath a tree, watching everyone just like me. She looks a little sad. I get an urge to run to her side and hug her. She looks straight at me. I freeze. All I can do is stare back at her.

She slowly stands up and begins to walk towards me. I can't move, she's coming closer. Part of me wants to run away from her the other part wants to stay and meet her. I give in to my first half and take off running. Why in the world am I running away from a girl? I take a quick look behind me, she's chasing after me! Fine I'm going to give her the run of her life. I cut through the play set, and I can tell she's close behind. I look out on the field and a great idea hits me. I pick up the pace and charge towards the fence and make a sharp right, I can hear her collision with the fence, but she's still close behind me.

I look to my left and see small holes popping up every few feet. I start to run in between the holes, more like jumping. We're in step now, she hasn't fallen down yet. Why is she trying so hard to get me? I give up and circle back to the play set. The yard duties are still ignoring this high speed chase. They probably think we're playing tag. I can hear her breathing closing in on me. I turn to the left and try my hardest to make it back to the classroom. I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm getting closer but then she does the unexpected. She's close enough to tackle me, but I didn't think she would, she did. I'm rolling around, but she pins me down. She climbs on top of me so I can't run away again.

"Hi I'm Francis."

"I'm Zalex." Did I really smile?