The Faire Folk

Please, oh please. Don't dance with them.

“She's a bit puny, don't you think?”

“Ah but so young, so tender.”

“Her bones would make a satisfying crunch.”

“What are the odds of her coming here on her own?

“None of course, Gabriel brought her here.”

“Do you suppose she's waking up?”

“Oh yes, it's time for the party.”

Jenny woke up quickly, and found that the world was strangely tinted red. She was laying in a small hut, seemingly made entirely out of tree branches.
What had happened? Where was she? More importantly, Who was she?

Her head still buzzing, she placed an unsteady hand roughly on the wall of the hut, her hand brushing the woven twigs. She rocked on her heels, feeling around the red fog for the door. Finally, short of breath, she found a small opening in the dark space and crawled out.

What she saw disturbed her greatly. There were people in the red fog, lots of people who looked a lot like the man and the little girl she had met earlier in the forest-

That's right! The forest! She was in the dark forest...There was a girl....

“You've wakened.” A small voice sang. Jenny barely recognized the child from the woods. There were three major differences. Her hair seemed flatter, not as lively. Her eyes seemed a bit slanted, clever looking. And one arm was completely bone.

“Get away from me!” Jenny screamed, stumbling back against the matted grass. The red fog seemed to be increasing, getting denser and denser until she could barely make out the figures gathering around her.

“Lilah, play us a song.” And with that, a tall skeletal woman rose and began blowing on a wooden flute. Beautiful music floated through the air, calming Jenny before long. Everything, even the vicious people began to look normal. Harmless.

“Dance with me?” The little girl asked, her wicked face grinning. Jenny happily took her hand and joined the circle of beautiful corpses dancing merrily in a circle.

It wasn't long before her feet were worn straight down to bleached bone. But she smiled a ghostly smile, continued to dance, and no one ever heard the cries of the search party for her as the Fairies devoured them for the feast.