No Other Two Hearts Closer Than Ours

Mall Act

Friday night marked the first party of the school year. Surprise, surprise, it was at Jason’s house. And of course, Jaime really wanted to go since Jason decided to not do the whole group movie. According to him, the party was going to be the shit.

After school Jaime came over to my place to help me pick out an outfit. She dropped her
purse by the door and headed up the stairs making a beeline straight to my closet. By the time I had closed the door behind me and made it up to my room, Jaime had already laid three different outfits on my bed and was searching for a fourth.

“Geez Speedy Gonzalez, calm down. The party doesn’t start until ten,” I laughed, swinging out my computer desk chair and opening my laptop.

“Yes but you and I need to go to the mall. Christy has to work at Vicky’s until seven and you need a new push up my dear. Besides, a girl can never have enough make up and nail polish,” she said, looking over at me and flashing a smile.

“Thank you for caring about my boobs,” I said, turning back to my computer and checking my email. Bright had sent me something and I moved it to my saved folder to look at later when I didn’t have Jaime over my shoulder. Suddenly my phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out while Jaime started searching for shoes.

How’s party prep with her royal bitch? Bright had texted me. I smiled and thought of a response.

Well she has picked out four outfits. Two are too slutty, one’s out of season, but the other might work. How’ Pretzel Palooza? I asked, referring to where he worked in the mall.

Slow. Only the annoying ass pre-teens are here.

Just remember you were once one of those annoying ass pre-teens :p

Hey. I was not :p So what are you doing until the party?

Going to the mall, actually. I’ll stop by and get a pretzel no matter how much Jaime and Christina try to tell me they’re not good for me.

Good. It will be nice to see someone normal.
He sent and I smiled again. I looked over my shoulder as Jaime muttered something about her hair color while standing in front of my full length mirror.

I’m sure :) Gotta go, time for hair dye distraction.

“No way,” I said, putting my hands on Jaime’s shoulders and steering her away from the mirror and back over to the bed.

“But my roots are starting to show,” she whined and I rolled my eyes.

“Sweetie, you’ve dyed your hair three times this year. Just keep it this color at least until Christmas break. Then you can re-dye.”

“Fine,” she pouted, turning to look at the outfits she had left lying on my bed. “Oh! Okay, choose one. Personally, I think you should pick this one.”

She pointed to a pair of really short shorts. I never wore them. Ever. I bought them on a shopping trip I went on with Jaime and Christy once last year just so they’d shut up. Paired with it was a low cut tank top that hadn’t fit me in two years and I just never bother to throw away.

“Uh, no,” I said. “No to this one, too. It’s too slutty. This one is just… no. But this one I can deal with,” I said, picking up the summer dress on its hanger with one of my white shrugs attached.

“I guess that will do,” Jaime shrugged. “You can curl your hair and do some light makeup. Oh, how are your toes? Do you need a pedicure?”

“My toes are fine. I just painted them last night.”

“Okay. Can we go to the mall now? I plan on eating there and since you’re staying at my house you should just grab your shit and leave a note for your parents or whatever,” she said, standing up and heading to my door. “I’ll be in the living room. I need emergency filing on my nails.”

“Alright, I’ll be down in two,” I said and she nodded her head as she turned to the stairs.

Once I heard her heels clicking down the stairs I sighed and grabbed one of my small overnight bags from under my bed. I threw in a pair of pajamas, my brush, jeans and a cami for tomorrow, and my glasses and contact stuff. I didn’t bother with make up since I knew Jamie would want to buy tons I would use maybe once.

“Okay, I’m ready,” I said, making my way downstairs.

“Let’s shop til we drop then booze it up til sunlight,” she said and I stared at her for a second, wondering if she realized what she said. Of course she hadn’t. She grabbed her purse and headed to her car while I scribbled a note to my parents reminding them I’d be back the next day then locked the door behind me and headed to my car.

****

Bright’s POV

“Hey Bright, there’s a group coming up,” Dominic called back to me from his pretzel making station.

“Okay,” I said, putting my gloves on and heading to the front. “Shit,” I muttered as I saw Jason, his best friend Max, and some of the other lug nuts from the football team walking across the mall from the sports store to get some pretzels. Served by me; wonderful. As if I didn’t get enough shit from them already.

“Hey J-man, is that hottie Kelsey coming to the party tonight?” one of the bozos asked and my eyes snapped over to him, glaring.

“Dude, back off. Kelsey’s mine,” Jason said shoving him away as the others laughed.

“You gonna booze her up?” Max asked and I glared at him, not liking what I was hearing. This was my best friend they were talking about after all.

“Fuck yeah! I bought her a shit ton of wine coolers since I heard Jaime say something about how she hates beer.”

“How considerate of you,” I muttered under my breath.

“What’s that? Pretzel boy?” Jason sneered, walking up to the counter.

“I said, what can I get you?” I lied.

“That’s what I thought,” he said, looking over at the pretzel case. “I’ll have a sour cream and onion and a large lemonade.”

“No problem,” I said, getting his pretzel and drink as quickly as possible then his friends to follow. I sighed in relief as they left to continue their idea of fun.

“Jesus,” Dominic said, his eyes following them down the mall.

“I know, right?” I asked with a laugh. A little while later I saw Kelsey with blonde and blonder heading down the stairs to the left. They stopped in front of Sephora and Kelsey started walking over while Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum looked after her in disgust.

“Hey you,” she said with a smile.

“Hey yourself,” I said in my we need to talk tone.

“What’s wrong?” she asked and I busied myself by getting her usual to keep up appearances.

“Your knight in tin foil stopped by earlier with his band of idiots. He was saying he was going to get you drunk tonight so I would be careful. Drink but not too much and if you need me my cell will be on all night,” I said, handing her a cinnamon sugar pretzel then grabbed a cup for her drink.

“Shit,” she said, rolling her eyes. “I don’t even want to go to this thing. I’d much rather continue our Star Wars marathon.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“Well, I gotta go. Thanks for telling me though. Love you tons,” she said with a smile. She took her drink then turned back to those other two.

“Yeah, love you too,” I said to myself as I watched her walk away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! So I know it's been awhile but I'm writing three stories of my own currently and going to start work on a co-written one with my friend let it rain; called The Time Of Our Lives. We're pretty excited for it.

So I made a Tumblr and I'm kinda getting addicted. I'm Heaven Can Wait so if you have one, follow me! :)

Thanks for the comments on the first chapter! I'm glad you like the story!!

~Steph <3