What if We Danced?

what if we kissed?

“Kaylee?” Michael asked again.

I backed away for our embrace and said, “I have to go, Dustin, I’m so sorry,” I whispered, walking away from the dumbfounded boy.

“Kay? Is that you, babe?” I heard Michael shout louder as he spotted me. “Shit, it is! I found you!” He yelled, jogging over to me and holding me in his arms; a sloppy hug that I didn’t return. “Oh, babe, you had me so worried! I’m happy that I found you though, you can come home now,” he smiled, trying to get me to look at him.

When I finally did, it was a cold, hard glare. “Why are you here?” I scowled.

“I’m here to take you home! Let me say, though, you’re extremely hard to track down. Luckily Patty, you know – your best friend? Well, she’s all smart ‘n stuff so she suggested looking up your credit card history and guess what? She was right! We’re just lucky you stayed in the same place. Oh, Kaylee, I’ve missed you so much,” he sighed, trying to hug me again.

“What did he just call you?” I heard someone ask. The music was suddenly shut off as everyone watched the scene between the three of us.

“Kaylee, ya’ know, her name?” Michael shot at Dustin, giving him a guarding look.

“Oh, well, not from what I know,” he said smugly, giving me a sad look of hate.

“Dustin, I can explain!” I pleaded, pushing away from Michael’s big build.

“Explain what? That you lied to not only me, but the whole entire town?” he hissed. My heart felt as if it was going to explode with the glare that Dustin was giving me.

I wanted to tell him that I wasn’t lying, that everything just one big mistake, or even that it was for his own good – but I’d just be lying to him again so all I could come up with was, “I’m sorry.” I looked away from his cold gaze that made my heart break.

“Babe, you don’t need him, or any of them, come with me and I’ll take you home,” Michael said softly, trying to get me back in his protective hold.

“Get away from me,” I scowled. He didn’t listen to me because he just grabbed me by my arm and tried to drag me away from the place now known as my home. “Let me go!” I screamed at him, trying to loosen his grip. It didn’t seem to work because I was being brought to his truck against my will.

“Let. Her. Go,” I heard someone shout at Michael through clenched teeth.

We both turned to see Dustin standing just feet away, clenching his fist together so hard that his knuckles were turning white. “Yeah? What are you gonna do about it?” Michael laughed, letting go of my arm and throwing me toward the ground.

“I’m going to kick your ass,” Dustin hissed just as he swung his arm and nailed Michael right in the jaw.

Michael staggered back and held his cheek just in time for Dustin to kick him in the stomach and send him falling to the floor. I got up in time so that wouldn’t get crushed by his big body. “You want her? Have her. She’s not worth this bullshit,” Michael spat, blood forming from the side of his mouth as he got up. I had it with him, so what did I do? I kicked him right where the sun don’t shine – causing him to buckle over in pain and fall to his knees again.

Dustin and I walked to his truck and he drove me home in silence. I didn’t know what to say because I didn’t know if he hated my guts, or if he was still falling for me. He parked outside the motel and turned off the truck. We sat in there for a few moments before he finally spoke. “Maybe you should leave, for the sake of everyone,” he muttered, not meeting my gaze.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and nodded before getting out and shutting the door. I didn’t know what to say to him at a time like this – so I just used silence to tell him what I was feeling. I couldn’t sleep that night so I packed up and left just before dawn came around without saying any goodbyes.

__________________________________________________

As I drove, I couldn’t help but think about Dustin and how u blew my chances with him. I wondered what he must think about me now. Truth was, as much as I hated to admit it; I was falling for Gas Station Boy. I smiled, thinking about how he looked the first time we met – old, dirty overalls, red flannel shirt, greasy hands and spots of oil on his arms and face. I’d never been fond of filthy men, but when I thought of Dustin – memories of my grandparent’s farm came flooding back to me. I really missed the days when I didn’t care what I looked like, or how I dressed.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair and glancing down at the gas meter. I was running on empty and my car was starting to slow. I groaned, “Please, baby, don’t do this to me, please.” But, as I went on further – I kept getting slower and slower. Eventually, I pulled over, fed up with my bad luck. I crawled on top of the roof of my car and laid down; at least I’ll get a tan out of all of this, I thought grimly as I waited for someone to pass by and help me out.

I began to get extremely angry at myself for not filling up before I left – but that would mean running into Dustin and having an awkward goodbye conversation; something I was happy to avoid. I really wish I hadn’t smashed my phone, because now I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with no gas and no cell phone to call someone to bring me gas. But who would do it anyways? I certainly wouldn’t bring me gas after what happened last night.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of an old truck pull up to my poor car. I looked up and saw the relieving face of Dustin—a face that I never thought I’d see again—getting out of his ancient truck. “Why are you here?” I asked him, sliding off the top of my car and walking over to where he stood.

“Thought you’d need my help,” he muttered, looking away from my gaze. “Since you left without getting gas, or without any goodbyes.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, looking down at my feet. “I didn’t want to lie to you, I really didn’t. I just wanted to start all over and for no one to remember the old me that I left back home because I hated her. I really did. That’s why I ran away,” I found myself crying at him. But I didn’t stop; I just kept going – pouring my heart out to this boy that I barely even knew. “I left because yes, I was sick and tired of everyone loving me, everyone wanting to be me. I’d trade all of that to have someone like you, Dustin. When you look into Ashley’s eyes, there’s so much love in that single gaze that it breaks my heart. Not my mom, my dad or even Michael ever looked at me the way you look at your little sister. That’s what real love is, and that’s what I ran away to find. I wanted real love from people that didn’t know a thing about my past and what I was running away from,” I finished, tears streaming down my cheeks as I pleaded for him to forgive me.

Dustin met my gaze and walked closer to me, holding me in his arms while my tears stained his shirt that had the sweet smell of gas and farm hay; not some stupid, expensive Abercrombie cologne He sighed softly, rubbing small circles into my back and brushing out my hair. “Patricia, I’m willing to forgive you, if you’re willing to start all over again and apologize to everyone. I’m sure they’ll accept you the way that you are, no matter what or who you’re running away from,” Dustin promised, holding me tightly.

I pulled my head up and looked at him through blurry eyes. “That’s all I’m asking for,” I whispered.

“Well then,” he let me go and took a step back, hold out his hand for me. “Hello, pretty lady, I’m Dustin.”

I giggled, but grasped his hand in mine with a smile. “Kaylee.”

“Well, Kaylee, might I say that it is a pleasure to meet you on this fine February day,” he chuckled, tugging on my arm so that it brought are bodies close enough for him to lean down and press his lips softly on mine. I never knew Prince Charming wore overalls, I thought with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
blaaah, maybe the last chapter?
I'm not sure what to add after this
so i'm guessing it might be the end.
buuut, I'll let you guys know, kay? (:
<3
©alyssasaavedra. 2010