Status: Ativated

Cerulean

December 3, 2004

It was six o' clock in the morning, and I was running simply because I felt like it.
And there she was, at six in the morning, drinking a Slurpee from one of those big, clear, plastic cups like it wasn't freezing and the middle of December.

The first thing I noticed was that she was all legs. Even sitting down she looked to be at least five ten, give or take an inch or two. Her long, thin legs were pulled up tight against her chest as she sat her Slurpee down on the curb.

Then she looked up at me and met my gaze. She titled her head to the side as if she were wondering what I was doing outside at six in the morning. It was as if she didn't realize I could be asking the same thing.

I watched as she eyed me up and down, a sly smile sneaking onto her face. I looked to the left, and then the right just to make sure I was correct in assuming it was me this strange, beautiful girl was smiling at.

She didn't say anything at all; just took a quick sip from her Slurpee and stood up before lazily crossing the street. She had this slow stoner walk to her. It was as if she knew she had somewhere to be, but didn't care to get there on time. I sort of liked it.

"What are you running from?" She asked me, her cup loosely dangling from her right hand.

I looked down, nervous that it was going to fall and splash all over my bare feet. "Why do I have to be running from something?" I countered. "What if I'm just running?"

She chuckled to her self and swept her wavy brown hair out of her eyes. "I just... you're outside at six in the morning running around in nothing but a pair of red, flannel pajama bottoms," she told me. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a little sketchy."

Instinctively, I moved my arms to cover my bare, goose bump covered chest. "It was a last minute decision to go for a run. I just... I needed to clear my head, you know?"

I wasn't sure why I was telling her all of this. Sure, I hadn't said much, but it was the first time I'd said more than a few words to anybody; let alone a complete stranger.

She nodded, something I wasn't expecting her to do. "I know what you mean."

We stood there, awkwardly, for a few minutes. I wanted to leave, but at the same time I wanted to know more about this girl. I didn't even know her name.

She caught me staring, and smiled. "I'm Edith, in case you're wondering."

My eyes widened. "How... how did you know I was wondering that?"

"I just had a feeling. You were staring awfully hard."

I felt my cheeks burn up as they turned a bright shade of red. Edith couldn't help but to silently laugh to herself. I had never been one with the ladies, but for a moment I was thinking I was doing a pretty good job with her.

"I'm, uh, Evan," I told her. "And I'm sorry for staring."

She waved it off, finishing up her drink. "No worries, Evan. Happens all the time."

I wasn't sure what she meant by that or if she was even serious. Frankly, at the time I couldn't have cared less.

"I'm going to get going, okay?" Edith said, breaking the short silence. "I have somewhere to be."

I wasn't going to be rude and ask where it was, exactly, that she was going. And even though I wanted to, I wasn't going to ask if I could go with her either. Meeting her, at the moment, was enough for me. My only problem was that I wasn't sure if I would ever see her again.

"Okay then," I replied. "It was nice meeting you."

Edith smiled and started her slow, but steady, walk down the street. After a few steps, however, she paused and turned around to face me.

"Are you from here?" She asked. "I mean... like do you live near here. I've never seen you before."

I shook my head. "No. I'm just staying here with my aunt for a few months."

Edith smiled, crossing her arms over her chest. "I had a feeling. I'll see you around then. Maybe tomorrow morning? Same time?"

I smiled back, waving goodbye as I started walking back toward Aunt Laura's house. "Yeah, tomorrow morning. I'll wear more clothes next time."

I watched her turn around, her easy laugh filling my ears as she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
*< : D