‹ Prequel: Smiles & Heartaches
Status: On Going.

Teardrops & Stars

Chapter 2: Mash It Up

Ah, school where the best part of the day is going singing with people. And Nate... and of course the much awaited history lessons (okay so right now it’s just American History, but so what) with Miss Silena! I’ve been waiting for her ever since Sam, Nessa, Nate, Tyler and Peter mentioned her. Obviously, no one hates her, or even dislikes her. She’s just my kind of teacher. And she hasn’t disappointed her praise from them anytime soon.
“Yo, yo, yo, it’s glee time!” I announced as I entered the room. Everyone smiled with me. Oh this club just makes me smile. The book club was mostly calmed down, but fairly interesting, good thing it was only twice a month. “Hey Ri.” I greeted. “Happy birthday!” Rianne was one of the best singers in the club. Also very down to earth. She has this amazing ability to hold on to a high note for nineteen seconds. That’s pretty freakin’ amazing. We had planned to surprise her today. “You’re turning 17!”
The lights turned off and Chace came in with her cake lit. She clasped her hands on her mouth and stifled a scream. He sang... “Happy...” In a high note. All of us joined in afterwards. Mr. Grace joined in with the piano, and he had, of course, fixed it for us in choir version, well a better choir version. We swayed simply and sang beautifully. Adam sang the melody, since he was the one with the eight octave range, lucky bastard. When we were done the water works began.
“I never knew being old felt so good right now.” She sobbed. “I love you guys, group hug!” We laughed and all of us, even the new clubbers (a lot of potential on this batch) joined in the hug. All twenty-eight of us. After we had the hug, Mr. Grace went into to business. After a quick speech for Rianne (she cried again) and some announcements about us taking Nationals again (you know which we will).
Then this happened:
“Now, we all know American Idol is having their last season. Now I’m sure you know how disappointing the last batch was, but this year’s winner is really doing well. All I’m saying is that the auditions for the last season is coming this late December during Christmas break.” The Freshmen did a collective groan.
“It sucks that I can’t audition this year.” One said, Miles, I think.
“Yes, we know Miles, and the rest of you.” He motioned to the Freshmen. “But you always have a chance. I believe in you so much.” This is one of the things I love about Mr. Grace, he’s like the male Ms. Silena, always inspiring, always believing. If he wasn’t married, I’d so hook them both up. “Now, I’m expecting, but no pressure of course, that most of you will audition for it.” He eyed me and I felt like shrinking into my seat. Why was he looking at me? Why wasn’t he looking at Ri or Adam, or Sam! It just makes me wonder. “Be strong when you get there, the competition will be fierce. And you may be sent home at some point, but don’t let it dampen your dreams okay? Now,” he clapped his hands together and passed some sheets, “let’s get going. Everyone know this song?”
“For Your Entertainment?” Adam said with a gleam in his eyes. “I might shit my pants.” We laughed.
Mr. Grace chuckled. “Yes, well, I was wondering if anyone could find a mash-up for this.”
“I’m having a flashback, I feel like we’re in Glee.” Jessica stood up; oh the jokes just keep on coming.
“It was just off the top of my head, any suggestions?”
“Vogue.”
“Hoedown Throwdown.” Michelle suggested. Some laughed, some gagged. She winked at me and I laughed. We had this time when we tried to mash-up Take a Bow and that song. It was pretty interesting.
“Hot Mess.”
“Oops I Did It Again.” Amy, one of the recent seniors said. Everyone turned at her and her eye bulged.
“That is a great idea!” Monica, a sophomore, broke the silence and everyone agreed.
“Good job, Amy, I’ll print some sheet music and you can share your ideas.” Mr. Grace said. “I’ll see you later after class.”
I raised my hand and so did Adam and Cassie, one of the newest members, a junior though. She makes transferring school this late in the high school life seem easy. “Uh, yes, Cassie.”
“Mr. Grace, I’d like to come with the mash-up producing too.”
“Ditto.” Adam chimed.
“Me too! But only until 4. I-I have work.” I shrugged.
“Is that okay with you, Amy?” He asked.
“Oh totally.” She smiled. “It’ll be fun.”
“Okay, while we’re at it, let’s take this song from the top, Adam, your time to shine...”
(****)
It was, by far, one of the best rehearsals to date. We even had a little cake. And later this afternoon I’d get to work on a fun mash-up! As soon as we walked out to the halls, Nate was there to greet me. “Hello.” He smiled, pulling his hands from his pockets.
“Hey you.” I grabbed his hand and we walked to my next class, which was right above his classroom. Isn’t that funny. And no, I didn’t look at the school map just to see if they really were on top of each other. I just... observed. He had Physics next. He said it was the worst way to end the school day, but at least it was the best start of the school year all year round since Nessa’s mom put us in the same homeroom.
“So how was rehearsal today?” He asked.
“Amazing.” I said in a clear “duh” voice. “I had so much fun.”
“So I’ll give you a ride to work today, like always?” He chuckled, bumping at me while we walked up the stairs. “I’m sorry but I couldn’t drop you off at Creams and Things. I have to get to work early today, someone bailed at the last minute, birthday party or something. I hope you don’t mind.”
I stopped a little bit. Oh yeah that’s right. “Oh Nate, I forgot.”
“What is it?” He looked concerned already, oh I love him. I smiled weakly and grabbed his hand and we continued walking.
“I agreed to help with a mash-up today; I’ll get off at 4. Sorry.”
He smiled and quickly kissed my cheek. “It’s okay, I’m just worried how you’ll get to the mall...”
“Oh I have Alex to... oh right. I keep forgetting that part.” He chuckled. We stopped at my classroom door. “I’ll just take a cab.” I kissed his cheek. Luckily, I got taller the last few months, only a bit shorter than him. But he’s still growing! And why do I find that so arousing? I am such a freak.
“Okay, be safe, and save me some ice cream.” He winked and he sprinted down to his class. I swear, if he gets detention for being late again, I’m the one who’s bringing him to his class.
“Bonjour!” I said aloud in my 10th grade French class. The teacher wasn’t here yet, so yay! I just hope I can say the same thing for Nate.
(****)
“And it will be like while in the introductory music, some will go: oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah... Huh? Huh?” Adam suggested.
Amy laughed. “That’s a good idea!” Writing a mash-up was easy. Mr. Grace was taking the keyboard, and I took the piano. “Now I was thinking, why don’t we put the chorus after F.Y.E. chorus? Play it Mr. Grace, Derek keep up right there and skip to there.” She pointed at the notes in Britney’s song. “Adam, join me.” She laughed. “Cassie, feel free to add in some places you think it would help.” Cassie nodded beside me..
“...I bet you thought that I was soft and sweet. You thought an angel swept you off your feet.” Adam sang without missing a beat.
“... Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...” Cassie chimed in, perfectly setting that mild blank part. Mr. Grace nodded in approval and Adam gave a “thumbs up” as he sang.
“...I’m here for your entertainment.” I started to play the music overlapping a little bit. It could use some polishing though.
“You see my problem is this. Oops! I did it again, I played with you heart...” This continued up to the end of that chorus.
“Wow that was amazing.” Amy said. We high-fived each other.
“Oh crap, I’ve got to go; Lucy will kill me if I don’t show up on time. Glad I could contribute!” I smiled, got up and waved as I went away.
“Take 5 everyone.” Mr. Grace said. “Derek, wait up.” I stopped and turned around. “This will be quick.” We walked outside the music room.
“What is it, Mr. Grace?”
“Do you know why I looked at you when I mentioned American Idol?” I nodded solemnly. “Because, I especially want you to audition. And if you do, I have great faith that you will win.”
The complement blew me off. “But Mr. Grace, I’m flattered and all, but there are more people better than me, what about-?”
“Shh, none of that. If you don’t believe in yourself, who will then? Listen Derek, the moment you step on that stage, I can see the gleam in your eyes. Whenever we rehearse, you rehearse hard, even if you’re in the choral. Derek you are one of the best, I’ve seen.”
“Really?”
“Yes!” He rolled his eyes. It was as if I should’ve already known. I’ve never felt that way, really. That I was one of the best, I didn’t get all of the solos, I only got a few. And, this is the sad truth; this is the first place that really made me feel that I sang well. “Derek, you have a good voice,” Good is not good enough. Shut up brain, “and don’t forget that. Don’t let anyone bring you down? Don’t be insecure; if you tried hard enough you could be the best. It doesn’t matter if you have the highest range or the best technical singing, but if you haven’t noticed-.”
“Woah, easy on the sarcasm there.” I interrupted and he chuckled.
“Anyway, if you haven’t noticed you sing with the most passion in there. I love watching you perform.” This was seriously making me blush. “You are going to audition aren’t you?”
“I might.” I said coyly, of course I was, it’s not like I can do anything other than perform. If I don’t make it, I might as well become a waiter already.
“Well think about what I said okay?” I stood there, awestruck; it takes a lot to put good things in my mind, only a few have succeeded. I’ve always been insecure about myself, but after Mr. Grace’s little speech... Let’s just say, insecurity’s ass got kicked.
(****)
“Derek!” A tiny squeal made me look up from the parfait I was making. “Derek, Derek, Derek, Derek!”
“What have you been feeding her?!” I laughed and Nate kissed me on the cheek. I finished the parfait and said. “Hold on, just one second.” I served it.
‘That your boyfriend?” She asked with a smirk.
“Yeah.” I shrugged. She smiled a motherly smile and went back to her magazine, eating at her parfait slowly. Then I went back to my boyfriend and his sister.
“I want that one!” She smiled pointing at the strawberry.
“Okay, get a table for us and I’ll buy you one.” Nate said gently. I admired him, well this admiration was different, he was always gentle with his sister. Other brothers would like to stab and/or strangle theirs. Actually, Nate has always been gentle. “I take it that you heard her.” He said handing me some money. “Make it double.”
“Sure.” I did the work. “You know, they’re still half price.”
“Yeah, sure, sure.” He said and I gave him his half off change as I continued scooping. The tip jar was full now, seeing that my helpful boyfriend put the change in it. “Here you go.” We shared a smile as he took his ice creams. “And why are you spoiling me so much?”
“It’s my job,” he kissed me quickly, “get used to it.”