‹ Prequel: Smiles & Heartaches
Status: On Going.

Teardrops & Stars

Chapter 6: Fat Derek

I woke up in the morning feeling like getting back to sleep. In a zombie like way, I trudged to the bathroom, hoping that the water would shock me awake. And it did though, hooray for cold water. As I was trying to warm my body in the shower, it finally dawned to me that sectionals are on Friday and that was two days away. At first there was a lot of excitement building up in my stomach, then I realized it was nervousness. But that wasn’t gonna throw me – or the rest of us – off. And we didn’t really think about it that often
When I got dressed and ready, I made myself crappy pancakes that were either too burnt or too soft. They tasted good though. It just really sucks that Alex is asleep. I feel so lonely.
My cellphone vibrated in my pocket and it was from Nate. Hey sleepy head, ready 4 school?

Yup I replied. How many minutes b4 u get here?

Give me 5. Love u!

Love you back. After I finished my food, I left some pancakes for Alex. He won’t really enjoy them, but at least it’s food, he won’t waste it. Nate arrived on time and his friends were all scrunched up in the back seat. It made me smile.
“Good morning.” I said, getting into the front seat and kissed Nate on his cheek. There were a couple of good morning’s before we started for school.
“Hey.” Nessa tapped on my shoulder. “Good luck on sectionals this Friday.”
“Oh yeah, you have that show choir thing.” Tyler nodded. “Have fun.”
“Thanks.” On the outside I was smiling very wide, still excited/nervous, but on the inside I felt sad that Nate couldn’t come. I turned to look at him, and he glanced at me with a perfect little grin. “Wish you could come.”
“Yeah me too.”
“Gag me.” Peter laughed.
We got to school with time to spare. Nate wrapped his arm around my waist as a cool breeze blew. It made me wonder when it would start to snow. It’s pretty late in the year, but it hasn’t started to snow yet. In the halls, everyone was giving me and my fellow clubbers encouragement. And that we would win again this year. Of course they didn’t really know who was going to audition for American Idol, but that didn’t really matter now.
“So, what do you want to do tonight?” Nate asked as I picked out some books from my locker.
“Not much, unless you thought of something.” I chuckled, closing my locker.
“Well, I wanted to try this new recipe with you, four cheese ravioli. And those mozzarella sticks you had made me get a recipe, since you loved them so much.”
“Aww, that’s so sweet of you.” I kissed his lips and we went to my first class, biology.
“Speaking of sweet, I’m also making you cupcakes for dessert.” He smiled wide, showing off his newly colored braces, they were gray and blue, my favorite colors.
“You’re gonna make me fat.” I sang. He laughed and gave me a huge hug.
“I’m sorry, baby, next time I’ll make you low carb dinners.” He continued to hug me all the way to the biology lab.
“You can let go of me now.” I said before entering the classroom.
“Aww, but I was having so much fun.” Nate murmured into my ear, making me blush. But he let go reluctantly and gave me a peck on the lips before bidding me a fond farewell, I couldn’t really concentrate in class because of it. I’ve been replaying that time for a few hours before my algebra teacher got a little pissed for me daydreaming. I knew I shouldn’t have looked out the window, it was so obvious.
By lunchtime Nate was already waiting for me in the halls. “Hey, you had to run here, didn’t you?” I asked, smiling as he walked with me. Though I used to love looking up at him, looking at him at near eye level was good too.
“Yes.” He smiled a small smile. “I like spending a lot of time with you.”
“Once again, I say, you are so sweet!” I gave him a tight hug and we walked slowly, talking about our morning. When we entered the cafeteria he says:
“Go find us some seats; I’ll get us some lunch.” I nod and we went our separate ways. I took a seat in the far side of the cafeteria, nearby the windows. Some of my glee mates told me that we had practice today, and that not to be late. I nod again; of course I’ll be there.
“Here you go.” Nate slid beside me, along with the fish fillet they were serving for lunch. “Something healthy, for once, so you won’t get fat. Not that I would mind.” He nudged.
“That’s what you say now, wait till I bloat up.” I mumbled slicing off a piece. His arm wrapped around my waist.
“I’d still love you; you’re still going to be Derek.” He then kissed my cheek. There were a lot of butterflies in my stomach and I didn’t really enjoy the first bite. Not that it was bad, I was a little distracted.
(****)
Practice was over that day. And after two days we would have sectionals. I was pretty excited and I wanted to lash it out to Nate (again) but he wasn’t outside when I got out. Weird, he never not show up. I walked aimlessly, it’s a good thing we just ran through the singing today, leaving a lot of time for free period.
When I approached the music room, on the way to my next class, I noticed Nate’s voice. Slowly, I went to the door. “Please, Mr. Grace!”
“I’m sorry, Nate, I know Derek is special to you but the school can’t afford another student for the trip to sectionals.” Mr. Grace sighed.
“Like I said, I’ll pay for it myself. Please Mr. Grace I’ve got to be there for him. He’s gonna be on American Idol soon and I know he’s gonna make it far. So please, I want to spend most of my time with him as much as possible before that happens. And I even made him a banner see?” I fought the urge to jump in to see my banner.
“Oh so you made one for your boyfriend and not for the whole choir.” Mr. Grace laughed.
“Um, I do have one for the choir.” There was a flip of fabric and someone gasped, I’m guessing it was my teacher.
“Exquisite.” He said. Now I really want to see it.
“Thanks, my mom made it; she’s a graphic designer... So c’mon, I’ll pay for myself, I swear, I’ll ride on the bus standing up, I’ll do anything just as long as I get to cheer him – and you guys – on.” It just warms my heart to hear him right now. My smile went as wide as it could.
“Okay, fine, I’ll see what I can do. I’m expecting your payment tomorrow.” Mr. Grace sighed in defeat and there was a muted “Yes!” in the background. I sighed in relief; I didn’t notice that I was holding my breath on that one. “Thanks Mr. Grace!”
Nate walked out of the room with his head held high and his stride was full of bounce. I matched his step, also excited. My boyfriend is gonna be with me during sectionals! I can’t believe he’ll go to such trouble just to spend more time with me. Before I could control myself, I jumped on his back and I started to laugh. “I love you, Nate.” I whispered into his ear.