‹ Prequel: Smiles & Heartaches
Status: On Going.

Teardrops & Stars

Chapter 7: Kisses That Shut Me Up

That night I had dinner at the Prynce residence, as Nate had planned. Hannah was there since she was his responsibility after all. The food was starting to smell great as I played with Hannah and her toys. She was such a cute kid. Cute obviously runs in the family.
“Derek?” She asked, with her pretty little eyes looking up at me.
“Yes?” I asked back, smiling down at her.
“Do you love my brother?” She asked with a sweet little baby smile.
“Yes I do.” I chuckled as I rubbed her teddy bear into her face and she giggled. She grabbed the teddy and began stroking it.
“Are you two going to get married?” The question really caught me off guard. What was her brother teaching her?
“What?” I asked, confused, thinking I just heard wrong. Or that I was hearing things.
“Are you and Nate gonna get married?” She asked simply again. “Cuz, I heard, that if you love someone you should be together forever and stuff, and not to let go.” Intuitive little monster, isn’t she? “So are you?”
“Yes, but you don’t have to tell your brother that.” I whispered, not wanting to crush her dreams of the still pending legality of same-sex marriage. And the beautiful subject of homophobia.
She gasped her little gasp. “Can I be the flower girl?”
“Yes, and you’re gonna be the prettiest flower girl in the world.” I pinched her nose gently. She laughed again. “Now, let’s go to the kitchen and see how your brother is doing.”
“Okay!” I stood up and she did too. I held out my hand and she grabbed it with her little fingers and we walked to her brother.
“Dinner will be ready in a few.” Nate flashed a small smile in our direction and went back to checking the oven. Looking at him, messy, covered in ingredients, in apron, and sweaty, made me oddly fascinated. He looked very, very sexy. “Derek, hey!”
“Yes!” I snapped back to reality, instead of thinking about him in that same look, only in a very different and naughty place.
He laughed a little bit. “I said could you help me set the table?”
“Sure.” I said and let go of Hannah’s hand. “Now play with your toys, I’m gonna help set the table, okay?” She nodded and skipped off. “She’s such a sweetheart.”
“Best sister in the world.” He smiled and leaned on the counter by the stove as I took out the plates.
“What?” I smirk a little bit.
“Nothing.” Then he walked by me to take out the silver wear. We set the table, having small talk. The timers dinged for him and he rushed to his cooking. I called Hannah for dinner and I got a whiff of all that delicious food. I grabbed a mozzarella stick but it was too hot so I dropped it on my plate.
“Ow, ow, ow! Hot!” I muttered to myself and Nate grabbed my hand to blow on it. My cheeks burned brightly and Hannah was beaming towards us. “Thanks.”
“Anytime. Be careful okay?” He smiled and threw his apron away. “Try the ravioli first, it’s turning out well.”
“I’ll take your word for it.” The four cheese ravioli was orgasmic (the word is really growing on me, it’s kinda embarrassing). The sauce was impeccable. The mozzarella sticks were spectacular too. I didn’t shut up about them, until later that night. If he had a restaurant, he’d have to make them part of the menu.
“Oh c’mon, it wasn’t that good.” He mumbled through my splurge of compliments as we washed the dishes. His parents were eating what we had left. And he saved us a couple more cupcakes for later.
“This is amazing, son!” His father said, the blush on his cheeks were unmistakable.
“Does that disprove your theory?” I asked, with one eyebrow up. “I’ll be happy to invest in your future restaurant endeavor.”
He smiled and kissed my cheek. “I love you so much, you know.”
“Love you back.” I bumped him with his hip. “You know, even if you weren’t my boyfriend, I’d say it was a great dinner.”
“Thanks.” He chuckled. “I’m actually really excited for college.”
“I bet you are.” I smiled.
“What about you, aren’t you excited for American Idol?”
My smile wavered, but I held on it, I didn’t want to upset him. “Yeah, I guess, but what if I don’t make it?” Those words weren’t meant to escape my brain, but they did. Bad lips! You made Nate feel bad now.
“C’mon, don’t say that. Believe, Derek.” He kissed my softly and pulled away. “You will make it.”
“There’re always people who will be better than me.” I muttered. Feeling down. The dishes were clean now and he led me up to his room. All the while he was reassuring me. I couldn’t ask for a better person to be with right now.
“Just don’t forget.” He said, hugging me closer to him. “I’ll always, always be your most adoring fan.” My blush was harder now. I should get a medal for this! “And, don’t say anything afterwards, but you will, without a doubt make it far.” Before I could shoot myself down, he kissed my hard. It left me dazed a little bit, and distracted. Well done Mr. Prynce.
“Didn’t I tell you not to say anything?” He murmured against our lips and continued kissing me.
(****)
“Alex, I’m home.” I called. There was no response except for a crash. It made me worry until I heard Alex curse.
“Just a second, Derek.” He called back and I shifted my weight. He came out, with his button up shirt mismatched and his hair messier. And what’s this? Lipstick smeared on his lips? Then a small girl appeared she looked familiar... Then I put it together.
I gasped. “Son of a bitch!” It was Katie, a sophomore, part of the glee club. “I knew it! I knew it! You tried to deny it but I knew all along!” Katie blushed and readjusted her long enough skirt and her messed up hair. “Oh ho, ho, girlfriend, if your parents find out they’ll freak!”
“Derek, please be mature.” Alex said, looking very uncomfortable.
“I’ll get to that, in a minute.” This was just too good to pass up. It wasn’t always that my cousin is trying to get some poor girl’s virtue, not that he was really. Alex is a nice guy, I had more experience than he did, but I wouldn’t dangle that in front of him, he’ll freak and get furious. “Since when?”
“Graduation.” Katie answered with here little soprano voice. “Please don’t tell on us.”
I scoffed and dramatically put a hand on my chest. “I beg your pardon. Why would I do that to my glee friends, and relative? I demand justice for that.” I got Katie to laugh a little bit. How cute of them! Since Alex’s graduation! I could just imagine when he got off the stage into her loving arms! Ugh, too cute! Alex glared at me lightly and I shrugged with a smirk. “I’m guessing I’ll leave you two alone.”
“No, um, I was about to leave anyway.” Katie said.
“Uh, it didn’t seem like it, stop denying, stay as long as you want. Alex let’s Nate stay, why shouldn’t I let you?” I said as I went to my room. Oh, I am so telling someone about this.
“Hey Nate, guess what...” I said into the phone, it isn’t like he cares about this but Nate’s the only one I know who won’t betray the secret.