Ashes to Ashes

Prologue

The one thing I’d detested since my mother and father’s vicious murder... was the one thing I’d become.
I was 16 when I had my first encounter with a vampire, when one killed both of my parents. She was the cliché nightwalker with long black hair, pale skin and ruby red lips; I now know that most aren’t like the stereo-types, in fact most vampires look like normal people with tans and all and most people can’t tell the difference between a vampire and human. If you ask me, that’s the most dangerous thing about the parasites.
I tried as hard as I could to fight her off, to distract her from my mom and dad, but she was too strong. After finishing them, she came after me. While my parents lay lifeless, I became indifferent to death, willingly accepting my fate as she informed me that I was next. Luckily, though I thought otherwise at the time, the struggling and screaming I’d given when she was killing my mother, was heard by a passing hunter and I was saved.
His name was Jared Moore; he was 23 years old with green eyes and a green mohawk to match. Realizing that my parent’s were dead, he offered to take me to another relative and when I informed him I had none, he took me in. He later got me a job as a waitress in O’Toole’s Pub, a bar with an apartment directly above it, where he lived. The bar was a common hang out to both humans and vampires alike, though there was an unspoken rule that no vampire could kill inside or near the pub, and the same went for hunters. It was like a safe zone.
Jared and I became each other’s family, as he didn’t have any either. The two of us were very close, to the point where I wouldn’t have been surprised if we eventually started dating. Unfortunately, the opportunity had never presented itself because when I was 18 and working as the bartender, he was killed by a vampire that hunted slayers like Jared. His name, as I would later find out, was Elijah.
Since the day he died his two co-hunters, Domenic Rivera and Michelle Whitman, have come into the bar every night to talk to me before helping me close and making sure that my apartment was vampire free.
Domenic was a 27 year old hunter with dark brown hair and mahogany eyes. He was much taller than me; I’d guess he was six feet four inches or so, and he was well built. I’m pretty sure he had a thing for me, but there was no part of that boy that I wanted. That’s not to say he wasn’t gorgeous, he was just very cocky and I’m almost certain he was unable to love anyone but himself.
Michelle, however, was the sweetest person you could ever meet. She was 45 years old with light brown hair and stunning bluish-green eyes. She definitely didn’t look like she was a woman five years short of fifty years old.
The two of them would often try to draft me into their vampire hunter organization, The Vigilantes, and each time, I’d politely decline.
Little did I know that someday, with the simplest act of taking allegiance with another hunter, I’d forever change my fate, causing an uprising between both vampires and mortal hunters...

And so the story begins...