Status: In Progress

In the Eyes of the Beholder

Prologue

This year was the first year that Voldemort’s threats weren’t looming over the three best friends. In the final act of the war, Voldemort’s life, or rather what was left of it, had been taken by the same green curse which he used to bestow for his amusement. It had been Harry who had dealt the death blow, as had been written in the prophecy, for neither could live while the other survived. And now he was gone, along with the threat that Harry and his two best friends had lived under for the past six years. But so was Albus Dumbledore, Harry’s guardian, mentor, and most respected friend, and so was Severus Snape, his unfortunate and unwilling murderer.

This summer after the war had brought by many changes in both the magical and non-magical world. To start with, the push and pull of power in the magical world had named Kingsley Shacklebolt the new Minister of Magic, replacing Pius Thicknesse, Voldemort’s puppet ruler under the Imperius Curse. The latter man decided on a permanent vacation, blessing the reaquired time with his family, and knowing fully well that the world will take time to forgive his unmentionable wrongdoings, whether intended or not.

Then, as the world rejoiced after the battle, the Daily Prophet, much to Harry’s chagrin, issued a formal apology to the Boy-Who-Lived, claiming that they had been under Voldemort’s direct threat. Although some believed this, and readily forgave the newspaper, those close to Harry recognized this as the ruse to regain readers. The Quibbler became a nationally renowned political paper, in favor of Kingsley Shacklebolt of course, but still had the occasional, quirky mentions of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. In fact, the paper was so popular now that Xenophilius Lovegood had to hire twenty new professional writers to meet the everyday demands.There were still power struggles between the pureblood families, who didn’t approve of the fact that a halfblood was leading the magical world. However, for the moment, the pureblood population kept their resentment to themselves. The wounds were still too fresh.

In the private lives of the Golden Trio, the changes seemed all too fast, and the hurts all too deep. After their beloved Headmaster’s funeral, they attended one for Ted Tonks and Mad Eye Moody. Nymphadora Tonks remained pale and blue for the entire ceremony, leaning on her husband for support. The Order also requested a funeral for Severus Snape, a critical figure in their victory in the war. Hogwarts students all came to say goodbye to their Potions master, even Neville, in whose presence a bogart no longer transformed into his dead professor. Harry said a private goodbye to his elf friend, Dobby, who had saved them from a horrible death.

Despite how much pain the end of the war brought, it also brought new beginnings. Bill and Fleur were expecting their first child in November, a baby girl named Victorie. And Tonks and Lupin were busy with their own first child, a five-month old baby boy named Ted Remus, after his grandfather and father. Even Percy had gotten serious with Audrey Hilland, another worker in the Ministry.

Even through the whirlwind of changes, the three friends remained strong, holding onto each other with a fast grip. Harry found himself being less of a mediator between his two best friends. They rarely fought anymore, and mostly spent time talking to each other. Harry, although feeling a little abandoned, took it in good graces, enjoying the peace and quiet after the war.

It was in a pensive mood that Ginny found Harry in that day at the burrow. He had been thinking about what Dumbledore had said to him in his second year: "I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

“I am loyal to you, Professor” he whispered, looking at the sky above the Burrow’s garden, “I promise…”

He turned his head to look at Ginny walking towards him. She was pretty, and he knew that. Her red hair glinted like gold in the morning sun. It had been almost three months since they had decided to end their relationship, yet his heart still yearned for her, beating faster every time he saw her. But he would not go back to her a broken man. She deserved better than that.

“Hi” said Ginny, sitting down next to him, following his gaze to the sun.

“Hey” he said back.

“You okay?”

Harry paused for a moment. He ran his hands through the grass, morning dew clinging to his hands. He turned to look at her.

“Yah,” he answered, “At least, I will be now.”

They both sat in complete silence, watching the morning rays play through the trees, just enjoying each other’s company.
♠ ♠ ♠
End Note: I would love any sort of feedback. I know this chapter was slow, but I think that it was important to show where everyone stood before the story begins. I promise the next one will be good. Here is a short preview:

“ Fred Weasley!” yelled Mrs. Weasley, “ If I notice you or your brother selling illegal things to little children, I will drag you through your street by your ears! You mark my words! George! George! Where are you!”

She marched up to the counter, dragging a five year old boy who had turned remarkably green and was on the verge of massive waterworks.

Fred grinned sheepishly, turning to look at the boy who was slowly inflating. “I told you not to eat that,” he lied unconvincingly.

“I want – my – MOMMA!” the little boy yelled.

“Wait! Wait! I know I have the antidote here somewhere!”

Remember: The more the comments, the faster I will update!