Status: DONE.

Young Love Was Such Dumb Love

The Talk.

John O'Callaghan ran his fingers through his hair as Benny sat next to him staring at the ring on her finger. Their adrenaline was rushing through their veins wondering what their parents would say. John heard the front door open and close and rush of hushed whispers he knew their mothers were gossiping. He couldn't help but feel a panic how their parents would react, after all they were both still living at home, so it mattered. "God, Benny we were gonna wait to tell them," he sighed feeling defeated at the moment.

"I know, but she just saw it. I forgot it was on my finger," She mumbled, rubbing her forehead feeling the same amount of stress John was, if not more. The fact that she was only seventeen and had a whole year to still live at home with them was frightening.

"Hey, it's okay, it'll be okay," He cooed into her ear before rubbing her back gently after seeing the tears starting to welt up in her eyes. He stood up and pulled her up with him, hugging her tightly. "Let's just get it over with, okay Ben?" He whispered softly before she looked up at him with her bright brown eyes that he loved. She felt a wave of comfort just with those words though they offered no tangible solace.

He engulfed her tiny hand in his own before they made their way down the stairs and followed the voices to the kitchen where Mr. and Mrs. Fallon and Mrs. O'Callaghan sat with mugs in their hands looking up at the sound of their footsteps. "Sit down honey," Mrs. Fallon said pointing to the two vacant chairs at the end of the table and they nodded, meekly sitting down, still gripping each other's hands tightly.

They all sat in silence all stealing looks at Benny's left hand resting on the table until Mr. Fallon cleared his throat. "Now, John, I don't have to tell you that Suzanne and I love you like our own boy, but what in the hell are y'all thinking? She's seventeen for Christ's sake," Mr. Fallon started out softly before letting his annoyance showing in his voice.

"Daddy, you and Mom were about the same age when y'all got engaged. I mean it's not like we're getting married anytime soon," Benny pleaded with her father, a bit of her southern accent slipping out, John's hand tightened it's grip. He looked over with a proud smile, amazed that she was fighting for them.

"That 's different, honey! It was a different time! I mean you're not even out of high school, John just graduated, I mean you're both so young and you both have so much ahead of y'all," Mrs. Fallon's eyes grew big with empathy growing in them along with desperation. Ever since Benny had told her mother she was turning down an Ivy League education to be with John, she seemed more distant. There was another awkward lull, no one really sure of what to say.

"Bennett, are you pregnant?" Mr. Fallon asked bluntly after taking a sharp breath, none of the parents seemed surprised, but John choked on his spit and Benny's jaw dropped.

"No!" Benny snapped before collecting herself. "God, Daddy, no. John and I just decided we want to spend the rest of our lives together and if it makes you feel any better, it's more of a promise ring than an engagement ring," Benny tried to reason, though the two were basically the same thing. Mr. Fallon's lips spread into a knowing smile.

"John, son, you never thought to pick up a phone or walk on over here to ask for my blessing?" Mr. Fallon chuckled, John's heart nearly stopped as all eyes were on him. He opened his lips, to respond before realizing that he had to find the right words first.

"No, sir, I'm sorry-" John stuttered, his eyes growing wide wondering what exactly her father would've said if he had asked for his blessing.

'"I'm just messing with you, John," Mr. Fallon laughed lightly, successfully helping John feel less afraid of the situation. He turned his attention to his young daughter, "No doubt your grandfather had something to do with this, let's make a deal." They both nodded their head curiously, and both their mothers looked on knowingly.

"How about y'all can remain 'promised' to each other, but John, keep this ring and on her graduation night if y'all feel the same way, you ask her again and if she accepts again. Wear it, and wear it proudly," Mr. Fallon said hesitantly, before pointing to the ring, switching eye contact between John and Bennett. John looked down releasing her hand and rubbing his forehead, not wanting to wait. He was an adult couldn't they make an adult decision. He looked at his mother, who had an unreadable look in his eyes.

"I agree with him John, I mean Bennett's going to be in high school with a diamond ring on her finger- you know what kids will say. I respect that you two love each other and I love that you do, but let Bennett have a normal senior year with you as her boyfriend," Mrs. O'Callaghan added her two cents reaching her hand across the table to cup her eldest son's hand hoping to reach him.

"Maybe they're right, John. I love you, you know I do, but I don't think I'm ready for the whole wedding bells and ring thing," Benny said with a shy voice and this cut John to his very core. How could the same girl who said she would love to marry him last night not be ready the morning after.

"Alright, I get it," John spat bitterly, trying to be alright as the girl he loved slipped the diamond ring he had worked so hard for off her finger and clutched onto it tightly. Their parents all looked around, surprised at how easy it had been before Mrs. Fallon clasped her hands together.

"Okay good. Now that that's all settled, who wants pancakes?" She chirped brightly and the young couple was amazed at how quickly their parents went back into their lives. The big disaster that had their parents up in arms had been diverted.

====================

"John!" Benny called out after getting out of her white sedan before grabbing her purse and seeing him getting into his white truck. That was one of the benefits of being neighbors with your boyfriend, he had been avoiding her for some reason and she wanted to get to the bottom of it. He stopped and she ran over to him, "why are you mad at me?"

"I'm not mad," he muttered, not even looking her in the eyes. He knew that if he did, he couldn't stay mad and prove the point he was trying to make. He stole a glance at her, wondering when she started looking older, he could remember just yesterday when she was fourteen and they were just kids. Now he was packing up his room to go off to college and they were basically growing up.

"You're avoiding me, you haven't called me or responded to my texts, so I'm pretty sure you're mad at me and I'm not going to leave you alone until you tell me what's wrong because I love you," She crossed her arms stubbornly and he chuckled reminded of why exactly he loved her.

"Benny, how could you just give up that easily?" He sighed finally admitting what had been bothering him since the talk with their parents. "I knew what I was asking you right from the start, and I thought you knew what you were saying yes to. How could you not wanna wear that ring?" He asked, slightly ranting. He bit his tongue from asking her if she even wanted to marry him anymore, afraid of her answer.

"John," She rolled her eyes before pulling a long, silver chain that was tucked into her black v-neck and revealed the diamond ring he had given her dangling from it. "I am wearing it, just not on my finger. I mean our parents would never let us hear the end of it and it wasn't even worth it. I do wanna marry you and I knew exactly what you were asking me," She laughed letting the necklace fall back over her shirt. John joined in, softly chuckling before running his fingers through his growing out hair.

"I'm sorry I'm such an jackass," John smiled, wrapping his arms around the familiar brunette and inhaled her familiar scent, his heart sent into a flutter. It had been longer than he wanted since she had last been this close to him and now he had just found out it was all for nothing.

"You are a jackass, but I guess I love you," Benny looked up after wrapping her arms around him and got on her tippy toes to press her lips on his, feeling electricity that had somehow she had forgotten about. He played with the long necklace that the diamond ring was ran through, he placed it back on the inside of her shirt and kissed her gently on the lips. He should've known they were stronger than the doubts of everyone else and no talk was going to change her mind about him.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm starting to update this more again
i hope you guys like it! let me know what you think!
thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing :D!