The Second Chance

The Beginning

Image

“Granna! Granna!”

I smile when I see my two grandchildren run to me. As I lean down to give them both a hug I can feel the sun’s heat on their faces.

“And how are my little munchkins doing today?”

Samantha, my daughter’s little five year old, smiled and crawled into my lap, “Mama took us to get ice cream before we got here!”

My smile grew bigger as Sam’s twin brother, Alex, pouted until I freed up one of my knees.

Joining his sister on my lap he inserted his two cents, “I had chocolate while Sam had bubble gum!”

“Kids, get off your grandmother!”

Looking up I watch my only child walk into the house. Susan’s dark hair was pulled into a loose tail, her blouse untucked and starting to wrinkle, and her heels hanging from one hand.

“Hello dear, how are you?” I ask as she leans down.

Giving me a kiss she straightens, “Hey ma. It was a busy day at work, but the kids wanted to see you so I figured what the heck, let’s go to grandmas.”

Leaning back in my recliner I laugh, “Well I’m defiantly glad for the visit,” I look down to the kids on my lap, “this way you guys get your surprises early!”

As young children do, Samantha and Alex began jumping in excitement over the prospect of new toys.

Hiding the pain that their movement brought I laughed, “Go check my closet floor.”

The kids ran off as I rubbed my legs.

“Are you taking your medication?”

Susan’s voice brought me back to the present. Looking up at her I watch as she sits on the love seat to my right.

“Mom? I’m still waiting for an answer.”

I sighed, “They weren’t working.”

“Did you talk to your doctor about upping the dose?”

“What for? All she’ll say is that I’m old.”

“Mom! You can’t doctor your own medication! You don’t know what’ll-“

“Oh, hush,” getting irritated I rub my arthritic hands, “medicine can’t make me immortal. With or without those chemicals I’ll die.”

“Mom, don’t talk like that,” Susan whispered, pain evident in her voice.

“It’s just the fact of life. I’m old, Susan. It’s just a matter of time now.”

“Mom-“

“Look what granna got us!”

Glad for the interruption I watch as my grandchildren rush into the room, Samantha clutching her stuffed horse and Alex pretending to fly his airplane.

“Wow”, Susan gushed appropriately, “those are pretty awesome.”

Now with their new toys the children sat by my feet.

Being the most animated Samantha spoke first, “Tell us a story granna!”

“Yeah!” Alex inserted.

“I don’t know you guys. Maybe we should let grandma rest.” Susan spoke, getting ready to move.

“Now, don’t go rushing off,” I spoke, “I would love to tell them a story.”

As the children squirmed in their excitement I noticed Susan’s worried look.

Ignoring my daughter I start my story.