Status: Comments?

Case Closed

Five.

As soon as Gene opened the double doors to his office Annie approached him, beckoning him towards the file that was placed on her desk. Gene quickly looked over the other unneeded people that loitered around his office. If he had bigger space in his department he would have shoved them all in another room. They were all so useless to him.

Annie passed Gene a sheet with signed names on it. He looked from her to the sheet and asked what it was for.

"That's the list of names you asked me to get, Gov. That's where you can find who left the office last."

Gene nodded quickly before looking down at the sheet, he scanned the scrawled names and something became apparent to him. He scanned the other workers, his eyes searching, Harry Millard was missing from the group. Gene tried to not let that phase him, he was, after all, nothing to him. However the missing signature to authorise the man's departure made it clear to him who had been the traitor.

The doors to the office opened abruptly. Harry Millard shadowed the doorway his hands in his pockets as if nothing was wrong. There was a look in his eye that seemed off to Gene and he stood up straighter as to seem more threatening than he already did.

"The rat has returned to it's birth place, ay Millard? I wouldn't have thought you'd be the traitor out of this lot," he said, motioning towards the rest of the team. Millard pulled out his hands from his pockets to reveal a small revolver. He targeted it at Gene and stood there, his breathing rate increasing by each passing second.

"You won't do it."

"To hell I won't!" Millard shouted, placing his finger on the trigger.

"You can't do it," Gene said in a controlled, authoritative tone.

"Yes I can."

"Just put the gun down, Harry," Chris said, attempting to sooth him.

"Shut up!" Millard shouted, pointing the gun quickly at Chris before turning back to Gene.

"But why?"

"Because you never noticed me. Because you never cared about how much effort I put into this place."

"Oh, so it's attention seeking you're after. Sorry Millard, I don't like to be at risk of becoming a poof."

"That's not what I meant! You're disrespectful, and you're rude. I just can't stand it any more."

"Quit my district then, Millard. Rather than pointing a gun at me."

A click ensued behind Millard's head and Gene looked at Tyler pointing the gun. Gene would've smiled but he didn't think that emotion would have been appropriate at the given time. Also, Sam was never to know that he was thankful. That would lose Gene his respect.

"Put the gun down, Millard. You don't want to be doing this," Sam said, trying to coax the gun out of Millard's hand whilst holding his revolver. After a few seconds thought Millard placed the weapon into Sam's hand. Sam quickly pocketed the gun along with his and forced Millard's hands behind his back. There would be two new occupants of the cells tonight, it seemed.

"Hold on a second, Tyler," Gene said, walking swiftly up to the man who had previously held him at gun point. He punched him as hard as he could and Millard groaned in pain.

"Nobody messes with the Gene Genie!"

Sam took the decrepit mess of a man away from Gene's gloating figure quickly, in the hope that he would avoid any further damage to Millard's face. Gene quickly turned to his team and looked at them all gleefully. He'd done it again, he was the king of Manchester once more. Gene returned to his desk and contemplated going down to the Railway Arms. Nelson would have to put a new barrel on for the celebrating Gene would be doing.

That's just the way he liked to end the day, at the pub.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's over. I hope you liked it.
Comments?