Status: one-shot

Time Spent in the Trees

Part one of one

Haldir stood atop the flet near the border of the wood, his arms crossed over his chest, his keen Elven eyes scanning the horizon for any possible foes. He had been on duty at the fences for over two months, more than most usually spent at the border for one given tour of duty. His heart and mind were itching to return to the city, to be with Her again. He knew he couldn't leave until the enemy showed itself again though. 

   It had been four days sense the band of orcs had attacked the Wardens patrolling the borders, but some had escaped during the battle that had ensued and the Wardens never left any alive. His other younger brother Orophin had at that time scaled the ladder leading up to the flet and strode over to where his elder brother stood and addressed him

 "We've just received the latest reports from the farther away posts and they have not seen any activity of the Orcs."

 Haldir had been a Warden for nearly all of his immortal life sense he had been old enough to join, he knew what was going to happen. 

"they will come soon Orophin, I can assure you of that." and they stood in silence for a few moments. 

"You want to see her again don't you?"  Orophins soft voice cut through the silence. Haldir uncrossed his arms and turned to face his younger brother "I do care for her Orphin and I have let her know that, it is her who is uncertain of her feelings."

"don't worry so Haldir, I have seen the way she looks at you, she cares for you also, she just needs time." The corner of Haldirs lips twitched faintly into a small smile and he said to his brother "and what of the ellith who you have your eyes on? I have seen no attempt from yourself to woo her."

 Orophins own Mouth curved into a smile and he said to his elder brother "you underestimate Verya and I, dear brother."

"well then if I were you, I would make your feelings for each other more known for I have seen ellyn who have had their eyes on her for some time and, if you don't make a more noticeable move soon, who knows what may happen." And with that, Haldor strode to the ladder and nimbly climbed down it's long Lent to the forest floor and patrolled in between the great trees. 

****

 The air was thick with tension it would not be long now. Six days had passed sense the orcs first attack on the Wardens and the most recent messages from other posts had indicated that the party of Orcs was on the move and ready to attack. 

   Haldir and Rumil were on the same low branch of a mellyrn tree, Orophin and several others were across from them, everyone was waiting for them to come. Haldir gave out the hand signal to ready the bows to fire, he did the same and adjusted the hilt of his sword for easier access. 

  Soon , the sound of the Orcs dumbly and brutally crashing through the branches of the trees and the dead leaves on the ground could reach every ones sensitive ears, and everyone shifted and prepared to fire their bows. 

   Worhin moments the party of about two dozen orcs was visible, and un knowingly to the dark creatures, was on a path straight for the Wardens. The numbers of the border guards was about fourteen, plenty to take on this foe. When the ghastly creatures were almost under them, Haldir gave the order to fire and a dozen deadly missiles hurled threw the air, only a few missing their mark. 

  As haldir, Rumil and the other Wardens near them jumped to the ground and drew their swords, another deadly wave of arrows sailed threw the air, killing more Orcs. As Haldir and his brother and their companions fighting on the ground, ten more Orcs came bounding through the woods catching everyone off guard. 

  Haldir and Rumil watched in dismay as one of their dearest friends fell under the blow of and Orcs brute blade. 

"Alyan!" Orophin and Rumil called out together as Alyan crumpled to the ground grabbing his chest and Haldir fired an arrow that hit the Orc right between it's disgusting eyes. When the last Orc was dead, rumil rushed forward to check on their friend. 

 When he let loose a anguished cry, haldir knew the worst had befallen and with a sorrowful face, he bent over Alyan's body and closed his eyes and whispered "namarie" and then turned to comfort his brother. 

"who will take his body back to the city and tell his family?" Orophin asked somberly "I will, it is my duty as captain" Haldir said.

"Haldir," Rumil started, a tear staining his face "he was my best friend, please let me go with you" "I know he was Rumil, he was dear to us all, you may accompany me to the city. Orophin, you and Durien will be in command in my absence."

****

Not a word was spoken between Haldir and his youngest brother on the trip back into the city, Alyans body in a litter between them. When they reached the gates of the city, and the guards tolled the bell that was only rung when an injured or fallen Warden was brought back from the border, the majority of the city inhabitants rushed to the gates. 

  As they crossed into the city, every head was bowed in mourning as the two brothers silently carried the litter into a nearby Talan on the lowest level. Once they had carefully set down his body onto a bed, the only remainder of his family, his you her sister Airemana rushed in. 

Her pale hand flew to her mouth in a failed attempt to stifle the anguished cry that escaped her lips. Tears already stained her cheeks by the time Haldir stepped forward to tell her that he had died fighting bravely. Before he could get a single word out of his mouth, the young elleth flung herself into his arms and let loose a torrent of tears onto his tunic, but he didn't mind and he wrapped his arms around her and gently smoothed out her hair and softly spoke to her. 

 "do not be so sad Airemana, I know you miss him, we all do but he died valiantly and he gave his life protecting you and everyone else in the Golden Wood from the evils of the world. So do not mourn for him, for he died doing what he did best. Now dry your tears little one," he said and took the end of the sleeve of his tunic and lightly dabbed her eyes dry of all her tears. 

"thank you, Haldir, you made his passing much easier for me" she said, but the end of her sentence ended in a slight sob but she still stood up to kiss his cheek in thanks and went to sit with her brothers body. 

****

  Haldir sat on the ground of his mothers garden, he and his brothers had taken upon themselves of attending to it ever sense their parents had sailed to the west some years ago but it was still not as vibrant as she could make it.

  A day had passed sense Alyans death and he had not seen Her yet, nor had he shed a tear for his fallen friend and he did not know why the tears were not coming. He heard the soundpf soft foot falls behind him but he made no move to acknowledge their presence, even as their owner kneeld down beside him and took his hand in hers. 

 That simple, kind act had somehow un corked what ever was holding back his tears. He suddenly burst into tears and gripped her hand tightly. 

"Alastegiel" he finally choked out, and with her arms she drew him to her and cradled him in her embrace and kissed the top of his head while she spoke soothing words to him. He knew then that Orophin was right and that she really did care for him and that just made the tears flow out even more. 

 "Alastegiel, I love you" he said softly while she stroked his hair. 

 "I know Haldir, I love you too"  and she bent down to kiss him softly on the lips.  In that kiss, a great weight seemed to be lifted off of his shoulders, thank the Valar he was no longer alone!
   
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short story I put together really quick. Hope you guys enjoy comments and feed back are welcome!