Broken Hearts and Betrayal

Doll Face

Riley sighed as she sat back against her bed. She had just finished packing five, count them, five boxes of her stuff. She hadn't known that she had that much shit, but she did. A sigh escaped her lips as she ran a hand through her dirty blonde hair. The young girl sat up when she heard the latch to her second brother's door close.
"Max's home late again," she said with a sigh. Max and Riley were a year a part and always got in fights. They rarely ever got along, which meant the only time Riley could have peace was when he was away from the house playing sports. She jumped a bit when her door opened to reveal the dreaded one.

"This bombs," Max said as he leaned up against the door frame.
"What? Your face?" Riley asked not really having any witty comebacks.
"Ha ha," her brother said dryly before continuing. "Can you believe we're moving so mom can marry a guy she met on a business trip?"
"Honestly I can't. Mom's never done that before. Ever since dad died, she swore off men for life. And now she has the hots for this guy in Rodeo California and has the nerves to uproot us and move."
"I over heard a phone conversation mom was having with Jamie. From what I heard he's coming up before the move to meet his new step kids. Also he's bringing his daughter up. I think her name is Marie and I here she's a doll," Max said rolling his eyes as he moved out of the door frame and walked over to Riley's bed.
"You little eaves dropper," Riley said with a smirk as she looked up at her brother. Max gave her a sly smile and shook his head. He patted his sister's shoulder before saying a small good night and exiting her room. Riley shook her head and covered up with her small blanket before sucumbing to sleep.
*-*-*

A few days had gone by. The Foster household was hectic and thrown into overdrive. The family was packing and loading boxes into the family Suburban and the U-Haul Van they rented for the most of the week. Every now and then Candice would bark orders at Riley and Max, who were not really doing anything. The two were sitting on a few packed boxes, Riley cleaning her nails and Max messing with his Game Boy.
"Riley, Max! Get your butts off those boxes and start packing!" Candice shouted after carrying a heavy box down the stairs.
"Mom, I've already packed five boxes of my stuff and I loaded them into the moving van. And I've already loaded half of your shit too," Riley said as she looked up from her split nail she had been tending too.
"Young lady! Don't use that language with me. Get you butt upstairs and pack the rest of your stuff. You too Max."
"What ever," Riley said as she rolled her eyes and stood up. She gestured for her brother to follow her and began her way up the stairs.

"This sucks," Max said as he walked up the stairs behind his sister, flipping some of his shaggy brown hair behind his ear.
"And blows," Riley said as she reached the top landing and turned to the right before descending down the hall and to her room.
"And get's laid in the closet," her brother finished as he followed her into her room. He noticed that her old guitar was resting in the corner of the room, untouched and a little dusty. A smile spread acros his thin lips as he walked over to it and picked it up.
"You remember how to play?" he asked as he brought the sunburst Gibson Les Paul over to his sister.
"Barely. I haven't practiced in ages. Basketball got in my way," Riley spoke quietly as she reached out and grabbed her guitar around the neck and rested the body on her lap. She fiddled with the tuning knobs and plucked the strings to check if they were in tune. She was surprised that she even knew how to tune the guitar, now she just had to try and attempt to play it.
"You know London Calling?" Max asked as he sat down cross-legged on the floor.
"Use too," Riley said as she readied her fingers on the strings and began to play the Clash's London Calling.

"Riley! Max! Come down here and meet Jamie and his daughter!" Candice called up the stairs a few hours later, disrupting the music Riley was playing and Max was listening too.
"Oh goody. Time to meet the doll," Riley muttered as she set down her guitar carefully and followed her brother out of her room down the stairs. They were instantly greeted by a young teen who was wearing way too much glittery blue eyeshadow around her equally dazzling blue eyes. Her thin lips were painted with a light shade of red, the same color red as her cheeks. She was clad in a white Abercrombie and Finch tank top and a small pink skirt that reached almost to her knees. Her long blonde locks were twisted in a bun that sat behind her head.
"Hello! You must be Riley and Max. I'm Marie," the girl said with a smile as she wrapped her arms around a flustered Riley. She never liked being hugged and this girl who was going to be her sister was getting on her nerves.
"Marie, don't strangle the girl," a tall, thin man said as he appeared behind his daughter. His thin lips drawn up into a smile; his blue eyes sparkling.
"Hi, I'm Jamie," he said as he shook Max's hand with a firm grip. Max nodded his head and couldn't wait to let go of the man's callused hand. As Jamie let go of his hand and turned around, Max wiped his hand on his shirt. He looked over at Riely, who had been released from the death grip, and was now being chatted with by Marie.

"Oh my God Riley. There is this really hot guy that lives next to me. He has the most beautiful green eyes," Marie said, putting emphasis on the word 'beautiful'.
"That's nice," Riley said as she turned around and began to stalk up the stairs again, not realizing that the boy Marie was talking about would soon be her best friend in the future. She frowned when she heard the click of Marie's heels on the stairs as she followed her up the stairs.
"I want to see what your room looks like before you leave," she said as she breezed passed Riley and ran onto the second landing before looking back at her soon to be sister for direction. Riley raised an eyebrow and brushed passed the 'doll' and stepped into her room. She clenched her teeth when a scoff escaped the prep's lips once she took sight of the blood red paint on the walls along with the various posters of The Clash and The Ramones. Riley wanted so badly to say 'If you don't like it, GET OUT', but she wasn't in the mood to bite off another prep's head, at least not at the moment.
"You actually like this crap?" Marie asked as she stepped over and examined a poster carefully, grimacing at the way the lead singer of The Clash was dressed.
"It's not fucking crap," Riley spat as she sat down on what was left of her bed. She smirked when Marie gasped because she had used 'a dirty word'.
"What? Afraid of fucking words like shit, damn, and bitch?" Riley asked with a hint of venom in her voice as she went over and pulled one of her posters off her wall before rolling it up and placing a rubber band around it.
"Daddy wouldn't like those in his house," Marie said as she cocked her head to the side.
"Well tell your daddy, princess, that he's going to have to fucking live with it," Riley said as she turned her head to look at Marie and giving her a nasty glance.
"And if you'd please get out of my room so I can pack."
And with that, Marie turned on her heels and exited the room. A smirk spread across Riley's lips as she heard the click of the 'doll's' shoes as she descended down the stairs.