Sleeping Beauty

Chapter 2

Frank and Gerard spent most of the days together, watching movies, playing videogames. Sometimes they just killed time with Gerard drawing and Frank playing his really old guitar. He was in a desperate need of a new one.

Frank sat in his room, reading some music magazine when he heard someone opening his door.

“Hey.”

“Hey! Gerard, what the fuck happened?” Frank asked when he saw the big bruise that covered Gerard’s right eye. He couldn’t open the eye and it looked really painful.

“Some idiots beat me up”

“What? Who? I’m so gonna kick their asses!” Frank said angry as Gerard sat on his bed.

“Well, could you get me some ice first?” he asked in pain.

“Oh, yeah, sorry! Of course. Just wait a minute” Frank said and went to get the ice.
He pressed the ice against Gerard’s swollen eye. It probably hurt, ‘cause Gerard made a sound and seemed to be in pain.

“Gerard, what happened?”

“I don’t know. I was going to buy some smokes and then this really big guy just jumped on me and started to beat the shit out of me. I don’t know why. I think he and his friends were drunk” Gerard said.

“I’m gonna find that guy and kick his ass”

“Yeah, well he was really big and you look like Frodo, my friend, so he’d probably just beat you up too and then we’d look like idiots” Gerard said smiling.

“I do not look like Frodo! I’m not that short. I’m just... not as tall as some” Frank said and made Gerard laugh which probably hurt because the bruise was fresh and really large.

“Sorry” Frank said feeling bad for causing Gerard pain.

“No, it’s fine. Pain is a part of life”

Frank had knew Gerard now for five months. Frank spent lunch with Mikey in school and afternoon with Gerard and Mikey if Frank’s parents were home. If they weren’t, they hang around Frank’s. Gerard hadn’t met Frank’s parents ever and Frank didn’t want to talk about them and Gerard was wise enough to let it be. If the guy didn’t want to talk about it, then it was better to drop the subject.

“Hey Gee?”

“What, Frankie?”

“You ever think about dying?”
Gerard was slightly surprised to hear that from Frank.

“Umm, yeah. Why do you ask?”

“No reason.”

“Okay.”

When the day was turning into night, Frank changed into his pyjamas. He went into the bathroom and brushed his teeth. He heard the voices of his parents. They were arguing again. Frank took two pills out of a bottle and swallowed them with a swig of water. Then he crawled into his bed and felt how his eyes started to close. He felt sleepy and soon he was asleep with Gerard in his dreams.