Status: New story idea. Updates may be slow.

Institute for Criminal Youths.

Six.

I'd gotten ready two hours before the bell had even rang to signal the beginning of the day. It was killing me though...I was seriously craving a cigarette and they didn't allow anyone to smoke indoors.

Impatiently, I tapped my foot against the steel legs of my bunk, listening to the rhythm of the taps that I was making with boredom. I wondered idly what Vicky would pick for her chosen lesson. For some reason, I couldn't picture her in Cooking. She'd probably worry that the other cell-mates would get hold of a knife and...well, I wasn't even going to think about it.

Music could be an option...she came from a rich family and weren't rich families meant to play like the piano and crap? She seemed a little too feisty to be able to play any instruments without breaking them though. I could totally see her trashing a guitar like a rock star if she failed to get the chords right or something.

Physical Education was instantly ruled out. She was a soft, frail looking sort of girl...no way in hell would she be able to slog it out on the concrete yard with a bunch of manic criminal teenagers. I could almost picture her standing helplessly on the edge of the pitch as a crowd of kids came charging at her with hockey sticks.

The other lessons flew through my mind, each having their own little reason to why she would and wouldn't pick it. Art, Manufacturing, French, Spanish, History, Geography...none of them seemed to be the subject for her. Usually I was able to tell just by looking at the new kid what they'd choose...I couldn't call it when it came to Victoria though.

"Ugh...finally." I grumbled as the bell went and the cell doors clicked open. I stepped out and stretched, running both hands through my hair as I inhaled deeply. It was sort of claustrophobic in those cells...it was nice to get out of them for a little while.

Automatically, without even thinking about it, I found myself outside of Victoria's cell. Curiously, I peered in to see if she was ready but not to my surprise, I saw that she was still curled up in a ball on her bunk. I grinned to myself and slid inside the room, making sure no guards were watching as I shut the door behind me.

Quietly, I tip toed up to her bed and looked down at her as she slept. Her blonde hair was sprawled out across the pillow and over her face. Through the slithers of hair, I could make out her eyes, scrunched up tight and causing wrinkles to crease her forehead. Clearly, her first night here wasn't a brilliant one.

I reached out with my hand and gently shook her shoulder.

"C'mon sunshine, rise and shine and all that jazz." I said brightly, laughing when she rolled away from me and dived under the sheets.

"Go away!" Her muffled complaint hissed, the quilt quivering slightly as she wriggled beneath it.

"Now aren't you a delightful bundle of joy in the morning." I exclaimed, reaching under the sheets to grab her foot and yank her out of bed. She screamed as she hit the floor, shooting me the death stare as she rubbed her back with a wince.

"Thanks." she muttered darkly, pushing her dishevelled hair from her face with a free hand.

"No problem. It's what I'm here for."

"What? Bullying the rookies?" she questioned, standing up and self consciously wrapping her arms around her torso; as if she was suddenly aware that she was stood in her pyjamas with me in the same room.

I took offence at that remark. I wasn't the bully here...I was the only person who offered support and help in this place. I let it go though, she was new here and didn't realise what she was saying.

"No. I'm here to give guidance." I said softly, correcting her gently. She sent me a confused look before grabbing her jumpsuit from the end of her bed and pointing at the doorway.

"Out."

"Pardon?" I said, genuinely thrown.

"Get out. I don't want you in here when I'm changing."

My mouth popped open in realisation and I nodded quickly as I rushed to the door. Girls can get pissed off when it comes to stuff like that. Obviously.

"Well, alright. I'll wait for you in the corridor in case you need me." I said to her as I paused at the door.

"And why would I need you?" she grumbled with doubt.

"Oh, you know...just I've seen some pretty freakish spiders in this place. I know how girls can get around bugs." I shrugged casually, slipping out of her room and smiling when I saw the look of horror on her face.

Still, the door slammed shut behind me and I leant up against the wall as I waited, occasionally nodding to a few people passing by.

"Sup Jay?" asked Coll, a frequent prisoner of the Institute.

"Hey." I greeted back, bumping my fist against his as he shuffled slowly by.

Victoria had the potential to cope in here, I was positive of it. Sure, she was a little soft around the edges but after spending some time with me, I could fix that. She'd get used to it in no time.

When she finally emerged from the cell, looking tired and drawn out, my opinion faltered slightly. She just had to come to terms with the fact she wasn't getting out of here any time soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long time, no update. As usual, I feel awful for that.
So I chucked this together for you, hope it's okay :)