Tired of Being All Alone

Sixteen year old Heather Clarke has lived in Boston for as long as she can remember. She was happy with her peaceful, quiet life in the heart of the city, and enjoyed the rush of the express-way to New Hampshire she could hear at night, leaking in from her window. She and her Dad had lived in the same apartment for the past eight years, having settled into it after her Mom passed away.

When her Dad dies, her world is uprooted—leaving Heather to deal with a barrage of emotions, and the fact that she is to stay with her Mom’s parents in Arizona, whom she has never met. After she gets to Arizona, she finds herself in a world she doesn’t understand—a world that somehow revolves around bands, fights, and skipping school at every possible chance. Heather moves against the current, answering questions in class and never missing a beat, soon attracting the attention of her new classmates. They make fun of her good grades and perfect attendance, forcing her to decide between what she had always done and what everyone else wants her to do—a decision that seems impossible without the guidance of her Dad. When a rebellious seventeen year old named John takes interest in her, she can’t help but stick to her natural instinct: fight back.