Status: Writingg....

Finding the Forsaken

Chapter Seven

I woke the next morning to the sound of giggling. I shot up, confused. Where the heck am I? I glanced around the small cabin, looking at the shelves stocked with hunting tools and other miscellaneous items. It hit me then. Oh... I'm a captive... to... orphans? Strange dream... They mustn't be orphans...

Another giggle echoed through the small hut. Looking to my right, I found four 11 year-old-looking boys peeking through the window beside my makeshift bed.

"Gahh!" I gasped and jumped up from the bed I had slept on, leaning up against the wall. Sure, I was reacting as if they were a bunch of spiders or something, but they did startle me.

The little boys hoped away from the window and darted right along, past the open cloth door, disappearing from sight as the rounded a corner. Just then, as I grew less tense and stood up naturally, Crispin walked in smirking—at the look on my face most likely.

"Looks like you've just met the neighborhood snoops. Don't worry 'bout them much... They’re just curious..." He said, amused still about the boys spying on me I suppose.

I shrugged, acting as I it didn't affect me much. I tried to react in front of Crispin like one of the guys would have, or so I would think they would. I was going to with them for... a while… so why not?

"What’s for breakfast, Crispin?" I asked as my stomach growled, I was starving. The last meal I had was lunch the previous day. Yesterday... wow. I wonder what my dad was doing right now. Searching everywhere for me, getting more and more enraged as he couldn't find me. What if he found me here? What would he do to the boys here?

Crispin interrupted my thoughts. "You're on your own for breakfast unless you're a toddler. For lunch and dinner, we all pitch in and share with everyone... eatin' all together."

"Oh... Well how do we provide for ourselves in the morning?" I questioned, confused. "I mean... uhh.. where’s the food?" I tried to change my tone alone with my wording, but it just both came out and sounded all wrong. Ughh this isn't going to work! No use making myself seem like a retard to fit in.

Crispin smiled somewhat apologetically. "You hunt." He said with a sneer. I imagined myself hunting... My dad was usually the one hunting to provide meat along with the vegetables from our small garden out back.

"I have to... hunt? But I don't... know how!" I wailed. I was beginning to grow starved, and now Crispin tells me I have to hunt for it?! I can't wait that long!

"Yeah... I guess I'll have to teach you." He replied. His mood had suddenly turned from satisfaction to disgust. I was determined to prove to him that I wasn't some little puppy dog that he had to train. I could provide for myself and survive on my own. "Well, c'mon, Ki—ehh—Aveline..?" He asked cautiously; trying to get my name right.

Wow really? "Mhmm.. Call me... Ave... or something" I said and followed him out the door.

He grabbed a small self bow and a gigantic long bow. Guess which one is for me... I sighed to myself. This is going to be terrible.

We walked through the village and stopped at a small cabin, almost the exact copy as the one I had spent the night in. A younger boy I recognized and Sterling stepped out of the house with a crossbow and trailing behind him was a boy I did not know.

Crispin gestured to him. "This’s Sterling's brother, Johnathon. I'm sure you saw him this morning spying on ya." He laughed a deep pleasant chuckle and looked at me with a twinkle of humor in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes and brushed it off; of course boys will be boys. "Let’s get going. I'm hungry..." I grumbled and turned to walk towards the woods.

"Where you going so fast, hon?" Sterling ran up to walk next to me and put his arm around my waist.

Excuse me?! That is not going to work out. "Get off of me!" I shoved him away, spun around, and marched over to Crispin. I stood next to him and watched as Sterling jumped up, seemingly un-wavered by my rejection.

"She'll get used to me." He said to Crispin and winked at me as I moved to Crispin's other side, away from Sterling. We moved into the forest and began the hunt.

Oh joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys... I've been deprived from comments... Told you I couldn't write more without them... It's all your fault. :(
Like the chapter? What about Sterling's obnoxious behavior? ;)
Comment... :)