Status: Writingg....

Finding the Forsaken

Chapter Nine

After picking up the small corpse of the bird that was now trickling blood, Crispin came back with three oval shaped eggs in his hand and we headed back to the camp.

We found a group of boys that had gathered to cook and eat their kills for breakfast and joined them. Crispin threw down the bag of birds and pulled one out carefully and began to slit the skin along the animals breastbone with a knife he had pulled out from his pocket.

"Hey! Now, I know how to do that!" I called to him proudly. My father had me do this many a time and I considered myself pretty good at skinning and cooking animals. It was the least I could do after breaking his bow and practically ruining the hunt by not knowing how to shoot!

"Are ya' sure you know how to do this?" Crispin asked skeptically. I had to prove to him that I wasn't totally worthless.

"Of course I do! Watch!" I replied confidently and took the corpse from him.

I continued Crispin's work and peeled back the skin from the bird's breast. I then took each leg and felt for the delicate joint and bent each backwards, cracking the joints.

"Can I have your knife, Crispin?" I asked softly. He gave it to me reluctantly, mumbling something about not breaking his knife and I should get mine back.

I reached for the knife and brought it to the animals head and sliced with a little force, removing the head, and did the same to the feet. I peeled away the rest of the birds skin and threw it to the dogs who sat patiently, waiting for a snack.

Taking the bird's wings, I found the joint and just like the legs made a clean crack and removed them. Finally, I moved to the tail with Crispin's knife, swiped off the tail, and looked up to Crispin's surprised expression. The other boys were either amused or just as shocked as he. I laughed and shot a bragging smirk at Crispin.

Glancing around quickly, I found an open spit and skewered the body with the hot iron rod. I spun the handle a few times, keeping the meat cooked evenly. A young child sat next to me and watched with curious eyes. I laughed and nudged him to the smoldering fire leaping at the tender meat. He took a hold of the metal and cranked slowly.

Turning around I found Crispin still with surprise in his eyes.

"What? You didn't think a girl could skin and cook? Isn't that the only thing we are good for, preparing meals?" I asked him amused and playfully. Sterling skipped up un-wavered by the look both I and Crispin gave him. He wrapped around me again and squeezed the breath out of my lungs.

I gasped and wiggled around in his grasp trying to get free. He whispered in my ear, just loud enough for Crispin to hear. "No, that isn't true my dear. Girls are useful for lots more than cooking. Isn't that right, Crisp'?"

Anger flared across Crispin's face and he jumped up with a jerk. "Get away from her, now." He growled.

"Ahh, lets not get angry here, Bud." Sterling replied and I noticed the malice creep into his voice.

"I said get off of her!" Crispin lashed out and grabbed Sterling, ripping him away from me. I scrambled to get out of the way as Sterling jumped up and threw a punch at Crispin. He deflected it easily and a sickening snap echoed through the camp as Crispin squarely punched Sterling in the nose. I winced but moved on the to the toddlers who were staring wide-eyed at the older boys, trying to make sure they didn't get close enough to be harmed.I glanced around looking for the other littles and saw Finn running towards us with a grim look on his face.

Just as he reached us, Crispin head locked Sterling and grabbed his throat, thrusting him up against a nearby cabin. He took hold of his shaggy hair and shoved his chin up.

"You are never, ever to touch her again! Got it?" Crispin hissed into his ear, enraged. He dropped Sterling and stalked to my side to stand protectively in front of me. I suddenly had a lot of respect for Crispin.

Maybe being here won't be so bad with him around, and the thought of it made me smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry! Comment more and I'll write more!
Heyy tell us what you thinkk!!!