Forever

Chapter 17

Just my luck. There he is staring at me from the same spot I use to talk to him in every Saturday. He was sitting in one of the two seats with a book on his lap. I was staring back at him hoping that he would go back to his book. But of course he didn't. He put the book down and walked right over to me. Before thinking about it, I turned around in the other direction and started to walk faster than I normally would. When he saw I was walking faster he also picked up the pace. The farther I went the more watery my eyes got. I wanted to suck it in but that didn't work out so well. When he caught up to me, we were now alone in the back of the library, he grabbed my hand and spun me around to face him. He looked deep into my teary eyes with the most depressed look on his face I have ever seen in my entire life. Neither one of us said anything as we looked back at each other, still with our hands intertwined. I wiped my eye with my other hand.

'Why are you so upset?'' Anthony asked "It kills me to see you like this."

"You know why." I answered

"Because of Annabelle?"

I shook my head. "Because of you and Annabelle." I pulled my hand away from his. He looked down at it. I continued. "How could you do this? I thought that we were really close and that if something like this happened you would tell me you were going out with someone. I thought that this time maybe someone liked me for me and wouldn't go after Annabelle instead. I thought....I thought you liked me."

I waited for his response but he just stood there in silence looking down at his hands. When he didn't respond for a while I knew something was wrong. "Anthony?" Nothing. "Are you okay?" Nothing. I felt bad now. Now he was upset too and it's all my fault. Then he looked up at me. His eyes were watery too. He looked like he wanted to say something. "I know I screwed up and I'm sorry. Since the first moment I saw you I thought I had fallen in love. I was so blinded by you. And that's when I knocked out you out." I laughed "But everytime I look at you, you shine brighter than the sun. When you smile it makes me melt. I get so nervous and happy around you but then once you leave the room I feel like something withs value greater than gold has just left."

I stood there in such shock. Never in my life have I ever thought that someone would see or think of me in that way. I felt like I was walking on air. I was so happy until I realized he was still with Annabelle. He probably just said all of those things to make me feel better and didn't even mean it. He's still with Annabelle and I would never do something like this to her.

"What's wrong?" He asked me

"But you're still with Annabelle, don't you see? She has fallen so hard for you and she must deserve you a whole lot more than me." When I said this his smile slowly faded. I turned to walk away. But then he grabbed my hand again.

"But all I want is to be with you."

"That doesn't matter anymore. You still are all hers."

"Manuella, I will do anything to make you happy."

"You don't understand. Either Annabelle or I, one of us are going to get hurt and I would never let that happen to her. She is my best friend and I want her to be happy even if that makes me miserable. I'm already hurt anyway...so please just treat her right for me."

"I will." He suddenly wrapped me into a hug. "But what if all she wants is you to be happy."

"Just don't tell her about this. If she were to find out she would probably break up with you so you could be with me. Please don't tell her. Promise me."

Why did I say that? I shouldn't make him promise.

"If that's what you really want. Then okay."