Status: Still writing

Vampire Exterminator

Chapter 2

Ria put down her tray and sat down at the breakfast table with Braedan and her two other friends; Kanna and Adrienne.
“Lucky charms? Again?” asked Braedan, looking down at the tray with disapproval. “Do you know how bad that stuff is for you?”
Ria ignored him and shoved a spoonful into her mouth. Braedan huffed. Ria shot him a death glare and then turned to Kanna and Adrienne who were discussing the Fall dance that was coming up in a few weeks.
“So Ria, when are you planning on asking Keenan?” said Kanna. Ria sputtered and choked on her cereal. Across the table, Braedan coughed loudly.
“I never said I was asking anyone,” said Ria defiantly. And her friends laughed.
“Oh please,” said Adrienne, while Kanna was trying to hide her giggling. “Everyone knows he has this thing with you.”
“What thing? There’s no ‘thing’! Wait everyone knows about this?” The look on Ria face just made the girls laugh even harder. Braedan cleared his throat.
“I don’t know why you guys care so much about all this,” he said in a cool voice. “I couldn’t care less about this,” he paused and waved his hand carelessly in the air, “dance.” Kanna and Adrienne looked at him as if he was speaking a different language. Ria just sighed. That’s the thing about Braedan that many people don’t understand. Nobody ever knows how he’s really feeling inside. That cool expression and his casual attitude that makes him seem like he couldn’t care less about anything that’s going on in his life. He never tells anyone his feelings, not even Ria. And sometimes, Ria thought he looked sad, almost lonely. But whenever Ria would offer him help he would just look annoyed and tell her that she wouldn’t understand.
Ria looked at Braedan, who was slowly stabbing a fork into his morning omelette. She must have looked like an idiot because Braedan looked up at her and said, in an annoyed tone.
“What are you looking at?”
Ria quickly snapped out of her trance replied, “Nothing,” innocently. Braedan gave her a weird look and continued with his breakfast.
***
“Where are you going?”
Ria stumbled over something on the floor.
“Found it!” she exclaimed and picked up a small leather purse with tiny silver sequins. Hurriedly stuffing her credit card and some spare change inside her bag, she looked over at Kanna, who was sitting on her bead with a science textbook open on her lap in front of her.
“I’m dropping by the nearest drug store to pick up some shampoo and hand cream. My la la lavender body lotion is almost out.”
Five minutes later she was in her car driving towards town and jamming to the newest song by Ke$ha and 3 oh 3. As he reached the drugstore, it started to rain, and droplets of water landed onto her wind shield. Getting out of the car, she pulled her hood over her head and sprinted into the shop. Heading to the bath and body section, she quickly grabbed two bottles of Pantene shampoo and hair conditioner and a container of the new la la lavender body lotion. After she paid the clerk 17 dollars cash, Ria returned to the parking lot. She was just about to get into the car and start driving back towards the school when she saw a familiar figure lurking in a corner. As she took a closer look, she realised that the figure was Keenan, and he was on his phone.
Wondering why Keenan was out of school at this time of day she got back out of her car, curious to see what he was up to. Just then Keenan put down his phone and started walking into the nearby woods. Deciding to check out what he was up to, Ria quietly entered the woods after him. She watched Keenan approach a large tree that was knocked over in the storm a couple of days ago then leaped effortlessly over it. Attempting to keep up with him Ria tried to go across the tree herself with little success.
Finally, after a few cuts and some minor scratches, Ria found herself on the other side of the fallen tree. Picking up her pace she spotted Keenan n a clearing with a boy she didn’t recognise. She thought she heard the boy say something and then saw Keenan shake his head. Then, kneeling down on a soft patch of moss, Ria heard her name.
“It’s almost time. Ria has to find out sooner or later.”
Ria craned her neck to hear more of what they were saying but to her disappointment, they stopped talking and started moving closer to the trail. Realised she had about a second to hide, she quickly behind a nearby bush and hid there until Keenan and his companion was out of sight.
Thinking about what they had said, Ria stood up, brushing bits of grass and leaves off her jeans. Just then she heard a rustling sound behind her.A branch suddenly snapped and a figure fell from a tree 5 feet away from her.
“Braedan?” she said in disbelief. “What are you doing here?!”