Status: Still writing

Vampire Exterminator

Chapter 3

Ten minutes later Ria and Braedan were in the car driving back towards the academy grounds. The sky slowly darkened as they drove further away from town. The silhouettes of distant trees loomed over the setting sun.
“So,” Ria said casually, breaking the silence. “Why were you stalking Kennan?”
Braedan glared at her.
“Why was I? Why were you?” he retorted, giving her an annoyed look. Ria rolled her eyes.
“I was just curious.” She answered simply. Braedan looked out the windshield at the dim orange sun that was slowly slipping away into the darkness.
“There’s something going on with him,” he whispered quietly, almost to himself. Ria snorted. “What is it Sherlock?” she teased playfully, looking at the rear view mirror to see his expression. He wasn’t smiling.
“This isn’t a joke,” Braedan insisted, his face all serious-looking. “He’s up to something and it has something to do with you.” Twiddling his fingers he added, “You’re probably better off staying away from him.” Then, as he looked up at her, his ice blue eyes meeting with hers, Ria realised that he actually meant it.
I appreciate it Braedan, I really do. She thought. But whatever happens, I’m still going asking him to the dance.
The car went silent again as both of them dwelled deep into their own thoughts.
***
That night, Ria walked into the Ext. Class determined to ask Keenan to the dance. She could hear her heart pounding against her chest as she sat down in her seat. She looked over her shoulder. Keenan was sitting at his desk, his dark brown bangs was brushed to one side of his face. He met Ria’s gazed and smiled. Ria quickly turned around, her face bright red.
What if he says no? What if he laughs? She thought, and then shook her head. If she didn’t put up the courage to ask him soon, someone else surely will. After all, she can’t possibly be the only girl in the academy that wants to dance with Keenan. These thoughts kept floating in her head as the class went on causing her not able to concentrate on anything the teacher was saying. A
At the end of the class, Ria hurriedly stuffed her books into her bag and glanced over in Keenan’s direction. Braedan, noticing who Ria was looking swung his bag over his shoulder and stomped off. Ria, who hardly even noticed Braedan’s reaction, approached Keenan and his friends. The other guys went quite, and a few patted Keenan on the shoulder and walked off laughing. Ria, her face bright red looked at Keenan, who was looking at her, puzzled.
“There’s, um, something I wanted to say...” she murmured quietly. Keenan just looked at her. Ria swallowed.
“Will you, um. Well you see, uh...” she stuttered, her face brightening with every word. Keenan smiled.
“You can tell me anything.” He said in a warm soothing voice. Just then, one of his friends yelled his name and beckoned at him. Keenan looked at Ria.
“I’m sorry, can it wait?” he asked apologetically. “Whatever you need to say, I’m sure you can tell me during tomorrow’s class.”
“Yeah, alright.” Ria said. “That’s cool too.” And watched him walked off feeling slightly sick.
***
“What do you think of this pink one?”
“Does this dress make me look washed out?”
Ria was sitting on a bench in the changing room of a fancy dress shop and watched Kanna and Adrienne try on dresses for the upcoming Fall formal. Braedan had refused to tag along as the girls fussed over their dresses so he decided to sit and wait for them in the car.
“How’s this one Ria?” asked Adrienne, turning around so the back of the dress was visible.
“Beautiful,” said Ria, examining the dress’s velvety texture.
“Absolutely stunning,” piped up Kanna. Adrienne grinned and spun around more.
“What about you Ria?” she asked, “Are you going or not?”
“I don’t know,” sighed Ria, “I guess not?” Her failed attempted at asking Keenan to the dance last night was now slowly killing her from the inside. Why didn’t she just come straight out and say it? It would have been so much easier. But now... She sighed. Now some other girl is surely going to be dancing with him.
“What a shame,” sighed Adrienne. “It seemed like he really had a thing for you.”
After the two girls had finished buying their dresses, they headed out of the mall and into the parking lot. Half way there, Kanna gasped and said she had to quickly go to the washroom. She handed Ria her shopping bag and ran off.
Ten minutes later they were sitting in the car admiring the new dress Adrienne bought. (Braedan sat in the back and pulled a ‘Girls can be so simple’ face.)
“I wonder if Kanna’s okay,” asked Adrienne out loud. It had been almost 15 minutes since she went to the washroom and she still had not returned. Ria shrugged and leaned back on her seat and closed her eyes, thinking about what she’s going to do the night of the dance. Perhaps she can ask Braedan to come over and they can watch a movie.
Her thoughts were suddenly cut out by a piercing scream that filled the air.
“It’s Kanna!” she heard Adrienne scream. “Something must have happened to her!”