Status: Still writing

Vampire Exterminator

Chapter 5

Ria arrived at the dance in her dress with Kanna and Adrienne. She had applied some make up last minute but left her long red curls hanging down naturally. Students were around every corner. Girls were giggling nervously, and guys were laughing and fixing their ties.
Ria looked around.
“Braedan?” she asked, looking up at him who was standing near the doors leaning against the wall. “I thought you weren’t coming. Don’t tell me,” she smirked, “ you’re suddenly into dances now?”
Braedan rolled his eyes.
“You wish,” he retorted. “I’m only here because coach asked me to patrol the dance. You know, keeping students safe.”
Ria stuck out her tongue.
Suddenly, a hand touched Ria’s shoulder. She spun around and saw Keenan standing there with a fancy white suit and a red bow tie.
“You look beautiful,” he said, looking down at her and smiling. “I was right. The colour does bring out your eyes.” He stroked her hair gently. Then, taking her hand, he lead her into the ballroom. Ria looked over her shoulder at Braedan, who looked at her for a moment, then turned and slouched off.
Ria let Keenan lead her across the dance floor, weaving in and out of hundreds of students, laughing, dancing, having fun. As they finally reached to a stop, Keenan pulled her in so her face was pressed into his chest.
The music suddenly slowed down to a soft, sweet pace and the whole room quieted down. Ria rested her arms gently around him, burying her face further into his chest.
So this is what it feels like, she thought. The dance she’s been dreaming of her whole life, was happening right then and now. There were no sparks, no singing birds, just the slow steady music playing softly in her head. Is this really the night she had dreamed of? Ria closed her eyes. No. Something felt wrong. It was as if there was a missing piece to their puzzle. That one piece that would make the whole picture complete. But what was it?
The song slowly reached to an end. Ria looked up at Keenan, whose warm eyes looked at her curiously. She pulled herself away from his embrace and lowered her head.
“I have to go somewhere,” she murmured apologetically and dashed off into the crowd, leaving Keenan, his arms still raised, gazing after her.
“Excuse me,” Ria said, pushing her way through the crowd. She reached the other side of the hall and looked around anxiously. Beyond the doors to the balcony, she saw a tall figure with white blonde hair leaning against the railing, gazing out into the night.
***
“Braedan?” a voice behind him jerked him out of his trance.
He turned and looked behind him. Ria was standing there, her beautiful red curls rippling in the breezed.
“What are you doing here?” he jeered. “Why aren’t you dancing with your prince charming?”
“That’s not funny.” She replied, lowering her head. “I was worried about you.”
“Worried about me?” he snorted. “Since when have you been worried about me?”
“Since always, and don’t you give me that face.” She reprimanded.
“You sound like my mother,” he teased and then his face fell.
“What’s wrong?” she asked him nervously.
“Nothing.” He replied flatly. “You wouldn’t understand.”
“What wouldn’t I understand?”
“Everything!” he shouted, letting the words explode out of him. Words he had held in for the longest time. “You don’t know anything! You have it so easy, not remembering what happened to your parents. You’ll never understand how I feel!” He glared at Ria.
It was true, he thought. Ria would never understand. She had never experienced losing her parents because she had no memory of it. She has no idea how it feels to watch her own parents slowly being tortured and then killed by vampires. He will never forget that night, however much he wanted to.
He looked up at Ria, who was standing there, watching him with a shocked and hurt expression on her face. He saw her bright green eyes fill up with tears. She turned, her red hair flailing behind her, and then ran towards the doors. Realising how his words had hurt her, Braedan reached out and grabbed Ria’s wrist, holding her back.
“Go away!” she cried, her face wet with tears and attempted to yank away her arm. He held on tightly.
“Let go!” she screamed, trying to push him off. He pulled her towards him and hugged her tightly.
“I’m sorry,” he mumbled as Ria sobbed. He felt her wet tears soak through his shirt as he held onto her.
“I didn’t mean it like that,” he continued. “I overreacted, sorry.”
***
Ria wiped her face with her hand and looked up at Braedan. He smiled nervously, a smile that Ria rarely saw from him. He held up her hand and bowed.
“May I have this dance?” he teased and Ria grinned. She put her arms around him and laid her head on his shoulder. There was no music, but their feet synchronized perfectly as if the two shared an imaginary song together. The night was quiet, and the soft distant hoot of an owl was heard, followed by a slow harmonizing chirp of a cricket. Inside Ria’s head however, distant sounds of exploding fireworks filled her head and she couldn’t help but smile.
***
Up on the highest tower, Kuuro lowered his binoculars.
The cold night air was blowing eerily around him. As he stood on top of the building, gazing down at the grounds, he felt his lips curl up in a smile as he hastily lit a cigarette.
“Tut, tut.” He said, shoving the cigarette into his mouth. “Looks like this game of hide-and-seek has come to an end...Ria,” and let out fresh plume of smoke.