Status: Still writing

Vampire Exterminator

Chapter 7

“You can’t catch me!”
The little boy’s laughter was ringing in her ears. Ria was standing in a little green garden filled with flowers, watching two little kids running and laughing. A little girl was dressed in a flowery sundress, her bright red curls hanging over her little waist. Her big green eyes sparkled with happiness as she got up, and chased after the little boy. Her arms were stretched out, and her cheeks flushed with red. The boy laughed harder and started running faster. The little girl stumbled after him, then tripped on a upturned tree root.
She landed in a pool of mud, dirt splattering on her tender little cheeks. The white lace dress she was wearing was also coloured dark brown. Her tiny little hands stung from scraping against the hard ground and tears were slowly building up in her large green eyes.


A drop of water landed on Ria’s face. Her eyes fluttered slightly. Someone was carrying her. She could hear the gentle thuds of their footsteps and feel a pair of soft but firm hands holding her up. Opening her eyes slightly, she could barely make out the surroundings around her.
Trees. A place she had not ever been to before. Her head throbbed with pain as her eyelids drooped. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes again. The surroundings vanished and she was once again in a peaceful flowery garden with chirping of birds and a soft whispering summer breeze.

The trees were swaying gently in the wind.
The little redheaded girl, her body covered in dirt and mud looked up as the boy rushed over to where she sat, a worried expression on his handsome young face. He bent down next to her and took her hand.
“Are you okay?” he asked, his eyebrows knitting together.
Ria watched. The girl grimaced, little painful dimples appearing on the sides of her face. She wiped away her tears with her sleeve and staggered up into a standing position.


The scene shifted, fading into a white blur and then reappearing in a different location. Ria was now in the living room of an enormous mansion, its ceiling raised high above her head. The same little girl was sitting on a fancy couch with the boy, holding an old storybook. The girl raised up a tiny little finger and pointed to something on the page.

“What is that Keenan?” she asked, her soft voice was like a sweet lullaby tickling the insides of Ria’s brain. Her finger was pointed at an image of a setting sun, its violet rays painted beautifully on the page.
“That is the sun,” said the boy, his voice in harmony with the girl’s, like the clear ringing of bells and the soft chirping of birds. He smiled a warm smile, his exotic brown eyes gentle and soothing.


Click. Click.
The sound of footsteps against a stone floor took her back into the present. She was still being carried, but was now going up some sort of tower. The faint smell of rain tickled her senses, her eyelids too heavy to lift up.

She watched the little girl and boy read. The giant living room echoed with the boy’s soothing voice as he read out loud.
Suddenly, the doors to the grand hall opened. A woman stepped in. She was dressed in a simple but beautiful white gown. Her hair was long and back, with perfectly curled ringlets hanging over her waist. Her emerald green eyes, the exact same colour as the little girl’s, were filled with worry.
“He’s here.” She whispered, looking at the young boy who nodded. The woman walked over to the little girl and picked her up.


The scene shifted again. Ria was now standing outside the double doors. The woman was still holding the girl, but this time, a man stood beside her. A few feet away from them was a dark figure wearing a heavy black cloak.
And suddenly, Ria realised. The scene in front of her was the exact dream she had had yesterday. The only reason it took her so long to figure out was because last time she was the girl. This time she stood there, watching the scene from a different angle, a different perspective.
She watched the girl being taken back into the house, watched the worried expression sketched across her face as she screamed out “Daddy”. The wooden doors closed, and the only sound heard was the whooshing of the wind and the rustling of the trees.

Ria opened her eyes. The night was covered in heavy rainclouds, blocking the moon from sight. Keenan, who was holding Ria’s body close to his, looked at her. He looked worried, resentful. Then looking at her with his concerned brown eyes, he sighed.
“Welcome, Ria,” he whispered. “Princess of the Vampire Clan.”