Bought and Paid For

Twelve

As efficient as ever, the smart black limousine was waiting for Jade outside the front door of the house when he turned up at 6.30 sharp, feeling very overdressed in the expensive new suit. The driver didn’t say a word as they pulled out of the grounds and began speeding along the familiar route to the airport. Jade didn’t bother asking him where they were going: even if the man did know, he probably wouldn’t lower himself to talking with the whore.

As expected, they headed towards the airport, the car passing through security checks and driving straight onto the runway, next to Hunter’s helicopter. Well, one of them; a larger one. Jade was ushered up the wobbly steps and strapped into a seat. It was getting dark and by the time they were in the air and above the clouds Jade had no hope of seeing where they were going. It didn’t matter he’d soon find out.

Another black limo picked him up from the tarmac at the anonymous airfield they landed at. Jade tried to watch out of the windows for road-signs to give him a clue, but they were travelling too fast for him to see anything useful. He settled down into the ride, deciding to accept whatever was going to happen. It wasn’t like he could change it, anyway.

It was nearing 9.00 when they turned right through some extremely familiar gates. Jade’s blood ran cold. He was back at Bios. Hunter had sent him back. He was a failure. His head filled with graphic images of the punishments his instructors would eke out to him for not managing to do his job satisfactorily, for embarrassing them by being substandard. He gripped the tan leather of his seat until his knuckles turned white, trying not to hyperventilate.

But something seemed strange. As they drove up the winding drive towards the main Institute building, Jade saw the lights of numerous other cars ahead, the place seemed busy and not with uniformed Subjects but with well-dressed outsiders. Curiosity grew, taking up some of the space in his heart that the blind panic had been occupying. He pressed his face to the window, trying to work out what the fuck was going on.

The driver pulled the car over into a short layby in the drive, talking earnestly on the phone. He switched the car off, but made no move to let Jade out. A couple of minutes ticked slowly past and eventually Jade tentatively tried the door, wondering if he was supposed to just get out and get on with it. It was locked. He sat in confusion for a couple of minutes more, building up the courage to tap softly on the glass between him and the driver. The driver lowered the glass, glaring irritably at him.

“Uh, sorry but… what are we doing?” Jade didn’t bother to try to prevent the stutter in his voice, the man already knew he was weak and pathetic.

“We’re waiting. For the Sir.” The driver turned back to his newspaper and raised the glass again, dismissing Jade.

He sat back down, looking around him at the car interior. There was nothing to do in here, no book, no music. Just smooth tan leather and shiny black plastic. Fretting, Jade turned back to the window, squinting up the hill at the Institute building and the steady stream of cars dropping off their passengers. He guessed that tonight was one of Bios’ publicity events, but he had no idea why he had been sent here.

A car pulled in behind them, its headlights dazzling in the darkness. Jade’s driver jumped out and wrenched his door open, gesturing him to get into the other car. Warily, Jade stepped out and walked to the other car, relaxing a fraction as he recognised Hunter’s main chauffeur. The man nodded politely to him, holding open the door. Jade slid inside, finding himself sat next to Hunter and face-to-face with Davey.

Both were dressed smartly, Jade realised that he and Davey matched, and were outfitted to compliment Hunter’s sharp charcoal suit. Davey’s long hair had been cut, save for a jaw-length section at the front, and at first Jade thought that he was makeupless – an almost shocking sight, it was so rare – but on closer inspection he saw the well-blended foundation, the tiny smudge of soft grey eyeliner and subtle light-brown eyeshadow. His nails were French-manicured too. This was apparently as close as Davey could get to ‘clean face and bare nails’.

Jade perched awkwardly on his seat, not comfortable with being trapped with them in the car like this. Both of them ignored him, though they didn’t speak to each other either. Hunter looked excited, Davey: tense. They rejoined the stream of cars heading up to the Institute and slowly climbed the hill. As they neared the last bend before the long straight to the door, Hunter cleared his throat.

“Best behaviour, best manners. Speak when spoken to but don’t ramble. Be nice,” this to Davey with a meaningful stare, “and do not get drawn into business talk. Pose for the photos and talk with major publications or shows only. Tell the minor ones you don’t have time. You can have one drink, but I want you both sober.” He peered out of the window, gauging how close they were. Davey nodded impatiently, Jade got the impression he’d already been told all of this. Hunter looked at Jade, taking in how he was turned out, a small proud smile curving his lips. Jade felt a flash of happiness and gratitude that Hunter was actually pleased with him. Instantly, he felt pathetic for being so needy, that such a small thing could make him feel good.

“Any questions?” Jade opened his mouth to try to ask just what this was all about when the car stopped and the driver got out to open their door. The camera flashes started immediately and Davey stepped out first, generous smile pasted onto his face. Hunter followed and they posed as a couple for a second. Taking a deep breath, Jade steeled himself and climbed out of the relative safety of the car. There was a hushed gasp from the amassed photographers and reporters and then a flurry of fit-inducing camera flashes as Hunter wrapped his arm round Jade’s waist, pulling him in for the pictures.

Jade blinked, pained by the bright lights and more than a little unnerved by the attention. He should have guessed that Hunter would generate such media interest. They stood for what seemed an age, looking left right and centre for the cameras before finally Hunter stepped forwards, taking Davey and Jade by the hands, and forcing a path through the throng towards the Institute lobby.

It had changed little in the months since Jade had last stood here, on the day he had first met Hunter, though now it was decorated with silver and blue balloons and streamers for the event. Hunter strode the three of them imperiously in, greeted reverentially by staff who took their jackets and pressed glasses into their hands. Red wine for Hunter, orange juice for Davey and Jade. More pictures were taken, though this girl actually asked permission first, and was wearing a Bios staff shirt. They were shown through to the main hall.

Jade steadied himself. The last time he had been in this hall he had been put through three hours of intense physical exercise: a gruelling circuit-training course, being shouted at by instructors the whole time until he had collapsed into a gasping heap on the floor, unable to stand. Unsurprisingly, it wasn’t high on his list of good places to be.

But today it was full of happy, smiling people, holding wine glasses and sampling finger food from the trays being carried round by staff. The whole place was decked out in Bios’ blue and silver, the lighting was muted and flattering and light, jazzy music was playing softly from the overhead speakers. A couple of people glanced up as they entered and Jade saw a ripple of discreet nudges and whispers spread round the room. Hunter was practically preening under the attention.

A smartly dressed woman strode up wearing an overly-welcoming smile. “Mr Burgan! How wonderful of you to join us, I must have missed your RSVP.”

Hunter shook the offered hand briefly, his smile matching hers. “Oh I didn’t send one. I’m afraid I hadn’t decided whether I would attend or not until this morning.”

She blinked at his cool admission of ambivalence, recovering quickly. “I’m so glad you could make it. And lovely to see your partner looking so well. Excuse me. Partners.” A bright, fake smile at Jade who desperately tried to resist physically recoiling from her.

He glanced nervously at Davey who on the surface, seemed to be charmed by the decorations, but Jade noticed the clenched fists, the slight curl of his lip. He bit his lip, trying to calm himself down. Davey wouldn’t try anything here anyway, not with all these people around, and not in the heart of the very place that could have him stripped from his job if he was caught. It would be fine. He turned his attention back to the woman, who was burbling away, ending with a smarmy “Do come this way, Mr Burgan.”

She took Hunter’s arm and led him towards a group of smartly dressed men making small-talk. Jade followed automatically but was jerked back by Davey grabbing his arm. “Not us you idiot! Weren’t you listening? We’re going over there.” He pulled Jade over to the other side of the room, and Jade finally realised that the room had vaguely divided up into Bios products and their… purchasers.

While the rich people made stiff conversation, using the event as a networking opportunity, the Bios-side was more familiar, with several people making heartfelt reunions with others they’d been with during Initiation or Training. Jade scanned for a familiar face, but apart from a couple of guys he’d never liked and three girls he knew by sight but had never spoken to, he saw no one he knew. Lost, he kept near Davey, and glanced nervously between him and Hunter, waiting for further instruction.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter will follow on immediately - i only split it because it got a bit unweildy as one long installment.

Comments are always lovely! *hugs* thank you for reading.