Someone Left Behind

The Talk

20 minutes later he came back down to a silent living room, Jordan was sitting on Jared’s original chair with Heather on his lap. Marc and Jared were sitting side by side, leaned up against Marc’s chair.

“How is he?” Tanya questioned from the couch, worry radiating from her.

“He’s calmed down enough to sleep.”

“Who was that?” Jordan questioned and Eric glared at him, Your son! he wanted to scream at him but he held his tongue.

“My son.” he answered.

“But you said..”

“He’s my son.” he snarled, “Maybe not biologically but he’s my son.”

“Okay, okay.” he held his hands up in front of him, “Sorry.”

“So…biologically…who’s son is he? How did you end up with him?” everyone held their breath as Eric chose his words very carefully.

“Two of my…best friends…slept together…and Jake was the outcome. Best Friend #1 did something that he really shouldn’t have to Best Friend #2 and so Best Friend #2 asked her dad to accept a job promotion and moved away, having Jake. Then I ran into Best Friend #2 at a game when Jake was just a baby and we caught up and I’ve been his father ever since.” he seemed rather proud of himself for explaining it without giving anything away.

Jordan’s eyebrows rose but he nodded slightly, “Okay…”

“I’m going to go.” Sandra nasally interrupted, standing up off Jordan’s lap and walking to the door, Jordan trailing after her like a puppy. “Bye Jordie” she giggled and kissed him, 2 ‘ewws’ came from the room, you can guess who they were from.

“Bye!” she leaned around Jordan and waved at the other people in the room before sauntering out the door, they heard a vehicle start up and tires squeal out of the driveway.

“Jordie?” Jared burst out laughing and the other two followed, Tanya snickered and Jordan glared at them all.

“Well we’re heading to bed.” Henry motioned to him and Linda and they both headed up the stairs. Tanya followed them after giving Eric a kiss goodnight and left the 4 brothers. As soon as the room was clear all three brothers glared furiously at Jordan.

“What the hell man!?” Marc yelled at him and Jordan jumped.

“What!?” he genuinely seemed confused as he glanced between his 3 brothers.

“It’s been a week and a half man! Don’t you even freaking care about Emma!?” Jared was steaming, “You of all people should be at least unhappy! But no! You go and find some puckbunny to bring home to Mom! What the hell was that!? Do you want to give Mom a heart attack!? Poor Emma is probably turning over in her grave!” that hit everyone hard and they all stopped, not even breathing. Eric was watching Jordan closely as Jared continued, still trying to get his point across, “If anyone I thought you would be the one to go for a bridge, instead we practically needed to talk Eric down!”

“Jared.” Eric warned

“You go and bring home that!” he motioned towards the door.

“Jared stop.” tears were streaming down Jordan’s face.

“How could you do that? To Mom, to us, to E--”

“JARED STOP!” Eric said forcefully and pushed him away from Jordan, sitting down on the coffee table and facing his younger brother.

“If anything…be happy he’s dealing with it like this instead of drinking away his problems…or like you said taking a bridge.” he glared at his youngest brother then turned to Jordan, “I’m proud of you for dealing with this in a semi-mature way. She was a sister to us but so so much more for you…I am, I’m proud of you.“ he laid a hand on Jordan’s shoulder for a moment before standing up and ushering Marc and Jared to the stairs.

“Bedtime.”

“What? We’re not little kids…you can’t--”

“Bedtime!” he said forcefully, pointing up the stairs and the two ginger-headed boys listened, grumbling as they lumbered up the steps. Eric returned to Jordan, “Just…I don’t want you dating her for the wrong reasons.”

“I’m not!” he quickly defended, “I really…like her.” he seemed to struggle slightly.

“Okay J, I believe you. Just remember, there are other people to think about now.” he made his way to the stairs and turned around to look at Jordan.

“I know, I know, don’t hurt her feelings.”

“I wasn’t talking abut Sandra, but yeah, I’d watch her feelings too.”

“What do you..?“ he simply shook his head. Eric took the first three steps; then he glanced back to see Jordan staring at the picture on the mantle of the 4 Staal boys and Emma. He sighed and walked up the stairs, poking his head in at Jake before continuing on to his room and laying down next to his wife.