Someone Left Behind

July 4th- Part 1

Two days past and now it was the morning of the 4th of July, Jake had managed to avoid Jordan for the most part. This morning he walked downstairs and over to the island, glaring as he saw who was sitting in his normal seat. He sat down next to Jordan and assumed the same position as him, his arms folded on the counter and he head resting on them, except he turned his head to look at Jordan while Jordan was staring down at his lap.

Linda turned around from making eggs and had to hold in a gasp at how perfectly the color of their hair matched. They both heard her and looked up, two pairs of identical blue eyes bore into her. She knew they looked alike but she had never noticed how much until they sat next to each other. They both looked at her weirdly before she turned back to the eggs and they resumed their positions.

“You’re in my seat.” Jake spoke up and Jordan’s head snapped up, whirling around before resting on the little boy next to him.

“This has been my seat since I was your age.” he smiled slightly at him. Then they both looked towards the stairs as loud rumbling came from them. Suddenly the remaining three Staal brothers came thundering down the stairs, heading straight for the island where they both sat.

Eric spun Jake’s seat around to face him and bent down slightly to his height, grinning happily at him, “Bath time!” he laughed when Jake groaned.

“Why???”

“Because it’s the 4th of July! We’re going to have a cookout and then go to the Square for fireworks…you don’t want to smell…there’ll be girls there!” his eyebrows wiggled suggestively and Jake pulled a face but hopped down from the chair.

“Oh! Jake has a pretty lady in mind! He doesn’t wanna smell!” Marc elbowed Jared and they both joined in on the teasing.

“Yeah, your girlfriends!” Jake shouted over his shoulder and both their mouths dropped open, Eric and Jordan snickered. Marc and Jared both searched for a comeback but by that time Jake was already up the stairs.

20 minutes later and Jake bounced back down the stairs, his sopping wet hair matted to his forehead, he scrambled over to Eric, handing him a comb and standing in front of him. Eric started brushing through his hair, the wet hair hung in front of Jake’s eyes and he pushed it away, only to have it replaced by Eric brushing it again.

“Turn around.” he spun around fully and faced Eric again, a playful grin on his face, “Halfway Smartypants.” he laughed and turned, waiting until his uncle finished brushing his hair before running upstairs to give Tanya back the comb. He ran back down and dove on Eric’s lap as Jared turned on the TV, Adam Sandler’s voice filled the room as the beginning of Eight Crazy Nights played.

“What the…?” Jake stared oddly at the TV.

“Christmas in July!” Eric shouted happily, turning up the TV.

They watched that for 2 hours, laughing until they cried, singing along to all the songs and making fun of Whitey. Then it was time for the cookout and they all scrambled up, dispersing to different places. They had a small stage set up with a local band and karaoke machine which everyone was having fun with. There were about 100 people there, close friends and then friends of the close friends, they were all eating and having a good time dancing to the local band when suddenly ¾ of the Staal brothers and Jake scrambled up onto the stage, putting a disk in the karaoke machine. The whole crowd seemed confused as to what the song was but laughed at how much fun they were having. Halfway through some of them started to recognize it, it was ‘Stand Out’ from the Goofy Movie. Suddenly they started soaking the front of Jake’s sweatpants with a water bottle, which he had changed into before he came up on stage, and part of the stage, completely confusing the crowd. Jake suddenly had a solo.

All I need is half a chance
A second thought
A second glance
To prove
I got whatever it takes!

Marc sang his one lined solo and as the song picked up Eric ran forward with Jake, timing it perfectly and swung him out over the crowd, he had a death grip in him, as the song said “To stand out! Above the crowd!” then he let him go as his feet hit the stage again and he ran forward 2 steps, power sliding and turning around in the middle of it to face the crowd. They continued the song until the end where they stood and bowed, gasping for breath but smiling and laughing hysterically. The crowd roared in approval and Eric lifted Jake up onto his shoulders, walking down off the stage and congratulating each other, suddenly Jordan walked over.

“How long have you guys been planning that?” he laughed, high-fiving his brothers and nodding at Jake.

“A month?” Marc looked around at them, they all nodded slowly and he nodded at Jordan, “Yep about a month.” they all laughed and Eric set Jake down, who wandered off towards the food table.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll probably have Part 2 up tonight...