Someone Left Behind

10 minutes

The next morning Jake woke up bright and early at 6:30, despite him having had a late night the night before. Today was the day he and the rest of his family were going down to the local rink for him to play his first roller hockey game which Eric had signed him up for when they first arrived. He remembered that day perfectly.

Eric and Jake walked into the arena hand in hand, Jared and Marc trailing behind. There was a girl about 20 sitting behind the desk and she glanced up as they approached, releasing the phone from between her ear and shoulder, causing it to smash to the floor.

“H-hi, um, Mr. Staal. My name is Alexis but you can call me Lexi, um, what can I do for you?” she looked like she was about to pass out and Jake could hear Jared and Marc snickering furiously in the behind him.

“Hi Lexi, please call me Eric and ignore my brothers.” he shot them a glare which only served in making them laugh harder, “Ugh. Anyway, I’d like to sign Jake here up for the summer roller hockey program.” he smiled at her and she fumbled about on the desk. The Staal’s could hear the person on the other end of the line yelling for Lexi and even Eric cracked a smile.

“Yes, yes here we are.” she handed him a clipboard and a pen, “Fill that out and you’re all set.” she then promptly disappeared through a door. He picked up Jake and set him down on the counter, his brothers piling in behind him and yelling out random numbers and names as he tried to fill out the forms. He let Jake write his own name.

Just as they were finishing Lexi appeared back through the door, 5 pounds of makeup now occupying her face. The quick makeup job made her very unattractive. Truth be told she looked like a clown with her bright red lipstick, blush and blue eye shadow.

“Can I help you with anything?” they all looked up at the same time. Jake and Eric bit their lips while Jared and Marc lost it, quickly attempting to cover their laughing with coughs. It didn’t work and Lexi frowned unhappily.

“Uh, um no thank you.” there was a definite laugh in Eric’s voice, “No, um, we got it all filled out.” he handed it to her, smiled slightly, picked up Jake who looked like he was about to pass out from trying not to laugh, and scurried out the door. Jake remembered laughing hysterically with the other three as soon as they were out the door, then Eric scolding his younger brothers for laughing in front of her.

He ran down the stairs and hopped up on the island, Linda and Tanya being the only ones awake at this time.

“Hungry?” Linda questioned, turning towards the cabinets.

“Not really…I’m more nervous.”

“Why? It’s just like playing with a bunch of really small Erics. Plus, you’ve been trained by NHL players, how many of the other kids will be able to say that?” Jake nodded slightly and suddenly his stomach growled, alerting his grandmother that he really was hungry. She laughed and began making some oatmeal.

“You’ll be fine sweetheart, it’s just like I told all the boys. Just go out and have fun, it doesn’t matter if you’re the best or the worst, as long as your having fun you’re better than all of them.” he smiled thankfully at her and began scarfing down the oatmeal.

Half an hour later and everyone was up and getting ready for the day. Henry and Linda really wanted to be at the game but they had errands they had to run in town so they wouldn’t be able to make it. Jordan came bouncing down the stairs and sat down at the island next to a freshly dressed Jake.

“Are you coming!?” Jake bubbled excitedly at him.

“Coming where?” he looked at him out of the corner of his eye as he got up to make a cup of coffee.

“To my game!” he explained excitedly, “It’s my first roller hockey game today!”

“Really? That’s awesome Bud.” he sat back down next to him and took a sip of the piping hot drink, “Sure, I’ll come.”

“Well we’re leaving in 10 minutes so I’d hurry if I were you.” Jared called across the living room, obviously eavesdropping. Jordan spit his coffee out all over the island, making Jake cringe and then giggle uncontrollably.

“10 minutes!?” Jordan went to start cleaning up the mess but Tanya shook him off, saying she’d take care of it and to just get dressed.

“Ah the wonders of midget hockey.” Marc sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next few chapters will just sort of be fillers...