Impala and Ingrid

chapter 6

As we reached the old, battered red door I couldn’t help noticing that the front door was open as in to invite us in.

I chained my bike to the lap post out side of Impala’s house.

I say house because it was never really a home to her not really.

It was just a place where she slept and eat. After chaining up my bike I stood up and looked at Impala. I had to ask:

‘Are you sure you want to do this? Because there’s now going back.’

‘Yes, I’m sure that this is the only way that he’s going to stop. It HAS to be done.’

Her voice was still a bit shaky but you could see in her eyes that she was sure.

‘Well. There’s no going back. It’s now or never. Well, let’s get going!’ I swung open the broken, run down, red gate and practically jumped down the twelve concrete steps.

I paused only to let Impala catch up. I held out a black woollen ski mask.

‘What’s this for?’ Impala asked me as she took the mask.

‘What do you think it’s for? So nobody will recognise us, stupid.’

‘Oh. Right. I knew that.’ Impala said as she pulled the mask neatly over her head.

We carefully approached the door and I pushed open the door enough for us to see if he was there. There was no sign of him any where.

‘That’s weird.’ Impala said in just a whisper.

‘What is?’ I said not daring to take my eyes off the kitchen door on the far side of the small, mildew coated, what was white paint hall way.

‘Well, he never goes out with out finishing a beer and a cigarette.’ She whispered pointing to the living room door that was slightly ajar.

I looked towards the living room making sure that I still was checking on the kitchen door, I saw the ash tray with a cigarette smoking up towards the moulding ceiling.

Beside it lay a can of beer that looks like it has been tipped over.

We carefully walked over to the middle of the hall way and then stopped, but, only for a moment long enough for me to swing off my bag on allow Impala to pull out a .357 Magnum and handed the other to me. she also handed me a cartridge containing 12 rounds.

‘Make sure you put the rounds in correct way in.’ I said in just a whisper.

Her hands were shaking badly as she nodded towards the kitchen door to tell me to go first.