He'll Never Know

There's A Light On

I woke up the next morning in my bed, my head pounding. I couldn't remember last night all to clearly. I remember drinking a lot of Yeager, lots and lot of Yeager, and the occasional Smirnoff. And the Ashlee Simpson fiasco. I know she was drunk, but still it made me think, Pete was all to happy to get on the tour bus with the other guys, what changed his mind in that year to come and be mister dad? I rubbed temples as my head continued to throb.
Pete walked in to make the situation even better.

"Delilah, about last night-"

"Don't worry I'll never drink again." I groaned as I hid under the covers of my bed. The
darkness slightly helping my head.

"Well, um, you scared me last night Delilah." Pete said. I felt the bed sink at the end of my bed.
I didn't reply to this, I just waited to see if he had anything else to say. But after a few awkward minutes I spoke.

"Why didn't you pay off my Gran?" I asked.

"Um, how did-"

"I ran into a very drunk Ashlee Simpson last night, lets just say she isn't as nice as T.V makes her seem."

"Oh, umm I'm sorry, she shouldn't, she's just jealous that I picked you over her."
I smiled under my blankets.

"You still didn't answer my question though."

"When you first blurted out to me that, well you know, All I could think about was 'Oh god what will the tabloids think?' Then on the bus as I figured out a way to make sure know one found out, which included paying your Grandma and Grandpa a large sum of money, I remembered a conversation I had with my dad when I was your age. My mother had sent my father in to give me the sex talk, and that was a very traumatic experience let me tell you.-"
I laughed at this.

"-But after my father had explained the birds and the bees, he told me about how there are men who know they got a girl pregnant and leave. Not caring that they have child. And how these men are a disgrace, and don't have the right to call themselves a man. I realized by doing what I was planning on doing would make me one of those men, hell I was one of those men for getting on the bus and leaving you. And that brought me to shame, and I knew my father was thinking that, so I wanted to change things. So got custody of you. I wanted to make things right. Because it's not right for someone to grow up knowing there father walked away from them." Pete sighed.

I was shocked. This, this baffled me, he chose me, he could've just walked away, payed off my Gran, and he didn't, he wanted to be a dad.
I came out from under my covers, wincing at the brightness of the room, and hugged Pete. This was awkward for Pete, I could tell. But I had to thank him somehow, and my mom always said a hug is the best thank you there is.

"Thank you." I said.
Pete hugged me back.

"Anytime kid." He said. We broke apart. I hid back under the covers, the light irritating me.
"I'll bring you an aspirin for you head."
I felt his weight leave the bed and Pete shuffling towards the door.

"Oh and Delilah, your grounded." He said. I knew that if I could see his face he would be smiling in amusement.
I smiled myself. Things where about to change here, I could tell.