9-11 Indulgence

Just Breathe.

Someone is standing alone. Under a tree, with a blank stare.

I'm watching as a labyrinth of gray darkness and light leaks through the dieing branches.
I realize the person is not alone, as I hear painful and saddening screams filling the cloudy and poisonous air.
I can smell the sourness of burning New York City buildings, and my stomach churns as i look all around me.
I become blind as I look up at the fading light of the sky. Suddenly, I don't see anything, but everything flashes through my mind.
This is nothing the world could ever understand.
I see paint as red as blood smother a murky alleyway, and then my mind snaps back to the tree.
The sorrowful moon's faint glow barely makes it through all the smoke and ash in the air.
Luminous red flames are shooting in all directions, making it all more confusing to me.

The world before this isn't there. I cannot hide from it because it isn't there.

I start to wonder, as I am watching all the misery and destruction around me, if everything can ever be the same again.
As the breeze blows debris through the air, I hear soft whispers shouting into my ear, through the tree branches.

I am the one standing under this tree. And I am the one hoping.
I still look around here, and see all smoke rising from the buildings.
And I'm still scared.
I still wonder who else could be wondering what the world would have been like without that sad September day.
I am still alone. That gray sky will never clear up. All I can do is stand, watching the world eat itself away, while the voices around me are telling me everything will be okay.

"It's OK. You can come out from under your tree."