Status: Slowly Active

Falling Together Again

Just Another Pretty Bedtime Story

“Time for bed!” Kevin said to the kids who were playing on the floor. I smiled down at them. “Just ten more minutes?” Kelsey whined. “Kelsey” Lindsey said warningly. “Fine…Aunt Ally can you put us to bed though?” She asked and I smiled. “Sure. I’ll be up in a few minutes go ahead.” I said and she hopped up grabbing Connor and Andrew’s hands in her own and walking out of the room. “They got so big!” I said once they were out of sight. “I know! I remember the day Kevin, Joe, and Nicholas used to walk up those steps to bed that young.” Mrs. Jonas said and I smiled. “Feels like just yesterday doesn’t it?” I asked them. “Yea, it really does.” Nick said and we all were smiling each remembering a time from before we were recognized by strangers on the street.

“Well I’ll be back, want me to carry her up?” I asked Joe. “Nah, I’ll go up with you.” He said standing up carefully not to wake the sleeping two year old in his arms. She was his pride and joy; the way he lit up when she called him daddy could make any heart melt. We climbed the stairs together and I waked into my old bedroom with Joe. Mrs. Jonas had taken out my big bed and replaced it with a bunk bed, a crib, and a single bed. The once large room now seemed a lot smaller. “Hi uncle Joey!” Kelsey chirped. “Hi cutie doll.” He said back. “Ready for the story?” I asked. “Can it be the one about the girl next door and boy!?” She asked excitedly and I laughed nervously. I heard Joe chuckle from the changing table. He was changing the sleeping toddler into her nightgown. “Um, I’m not sure I remember that one” I lied. “I do.” Joe said and Kelsey smiled. “Can you tell it Uncle Joey!? Maybe then Aunt Ally will remember!” Kelsey whispered excitedly. “Sure” He said placing his baby into her crib. He bent down and kissed her forehead then pulled the Cinderella blanket up to keep her warm. He came over and sat down on the lower bunk bed across from Kelsey’s bed. “Let’s see, there once was a little girl who lived next to a family with three boys…” Joe started and I sighed.

“Ally” was being whispered into my ear. I opened my eyes and saw the familiar desk with the pictures of the boys and me from long ago. It took me a few minutes before I realized where I was. “Al?” I turned my head. “What time is it?” I whispered. “Almost three, Jordan said you better get going.” I sat up gently making sure not to wake up the little girl who was fast asleep next to me. I stood up and saw that Nick was laughing at something; I twisted and saw Joe asleep with Andrew. “What were you all doing up here?” He asked leaning against the closet door. “Telling a bedtime story.” I said looking at all the sleeping kids. It’s weird that I used to sleep in here. “Which one?” Nick asked. “The girl next door.” I said and he laughed gently. “Kelsey always asks for that one.” Nick said. “I should have never told her that story.” I said shaking my head. “Well it’s not like you tell her the whole story.” He said and I sighed, “True. Just the happy parts.” I said and he hugged me.

I laughed into his shoulder. “You know you look amazing Al.” Nick said to me and smiled, “You to Nick.” I whispered and he kissed my head. “Well Jordan’s waiting down stairs.” Nick said and I smiled. “Yea, isn’t he great?” I asked him. “He is, he’s absolutely crazy about you.” “And I’m crazy about him” I said as Nick shut the door quietly. He walked down the stairs with me and there was Jordan waiting. “Is he asleep in there?” Nicole asked me. I laughed, “Yea, with Andrew.” “Every time he tells the story he falls asleep!” She said throwing her hands up in the air. She hugged me and said goodbye and then made her way up the stairs to get her husband. I’m guessing everyone else had gone to bed. Erin smiled as Nick snaked his arm around her waist.

“Ready to go?” Jordan asked me and I smiled up at him. “Let’s rock and roll” I said and he smiled. “We’ll see you guys tomorrow then” Jordan said to Nick and Erin. “We will?” I asked. “Well yea, we’re all going to the circus tomorrow.” Jordan explained. “Aw yes!” I said excitedly and they all laughed. We all hugged each other goodbye and I got in the drivers side since Jordan was “tired”. Once we were home we immediately went up stairs and got ready for bed.

“So happy to be back home?” He asked as he got into bed next to me. “So happy. This is everything to me. Us all together for a whole summer.” I said smiling. Max jumped up onto the edge of the bed and took his usual position of lying lazily across our feet. I put my head on Jordan’s chest and smiled as he played with my hair. With in seconds I was fast asleep and dreaming about the girl who lived next door to the curly haired best friend, and the straight haired bully of a big brother, and not to mention the curly headed big brother who was always there to catch her when she would fall.

Sweet dreams they were.
♠ ♠ ♠
SUBSCRIBE
RATE
COMMENT
p l e a s e