Like a Fairytale

One.

The morning of the first day of sophomore year was a chaotic rush. Rebecca just had to look perfect for Justin, so guess who had to fight for bathroom privileges? Me, that’s who. Even when I finally got in the bathroom, I had to contend for mirror space to brush my hair while she blow-dried hers. I really needed to look into installing sink in my room or something… that “something” being buying a shovel to beat Rebecca with, preferably an iron one. Oh, and that shovel could be used to clobber her group of hags.

“Can I get shipped to Los Angeles immediately?” I groaned as I got into Sam’s car. He failed second grade, because he had too many absences. That was the year he got some heart problems, and spent most of the year at home bedridden. Still, he got held back in the same grade, which is where he met Kelsey and I. Because of that, he’s a year older than all the other tenth graders, and can drive. While it’s handy, I feel bad for him. He didn't deserve that. I guess we must've been a pretty crazy group.

“What’s in LA?” My other best friend Kelsey inquired curiously from the backseat. Kels is pretty enough to roll with the popular crowd, with long raven hair, cocoa-colored eyes, and porcelain skin, but she hates them all. She’s always preferred Sammy, who gets a lot of critique for being gay, and me, a loser, for reasons still unknown.

Kels did get a lot of comments about her mental health, though, ever since she randomly starting screaming one day at the place were kids got picked up from school. That was when we were in first grade. She didn't stop until both of her parents were comforting her. I later found out she was only screaming because her they wouldn't stop fighting, and she needed to know that there was still something they could work together on - even if it was trying to subdue their apparently barking mad daughter. In a town like this, no one forgets anything, so maybe she wasn't popular for that reason instead of Sammy and I. Either way, Kelsey and I grew up together, and she'll always be like a sister to me - barking mad or not.

“Its what isn‘t in LA that I‘m interested in,” I replied, buckling my seatbelt as Sam started driving. “Namely, Rebecca and the Stripper.” Okay, so my step-mother’s name is actually Tanya, but where’s the fun in that?

“Ah, yes, the family of whores,” Kelsey said airily. “You really should like run away or something. My couch is always open.”

I laughed bitterly. “They’d find me. Thanks though.”

You see, my life is highly cliché - I actually do have a “wicked” step-mother and step-sister. Dad married Tanya when I was eight, six months after my mom died. Tanya actually is a stripper, I’m not lying. So, whenever possible, I don’t use her real name. Plus, the Stripper is a huge bitch. When Daddy isn’t home (which is pretty much all the time since he’s a pilot) she treats me like a dirty maid - I have to cook, clean, and just generally take care of the house while she tosses random insults into the mix, so if I did run away, they would find me, just to have their maid back. I hate the Stripper, but Dad thinks she’s wonderful. Sometimes, I worry about his mental health, but I really love my Daddy and miss him all the time. When he comes home, I'm always happy, and not just because Rebecca and the Stripper lay off.

“Oh, poor Cinderella,” Sammy laughed, turning on the radio. They’ve both called me that at one point or another, because, sadly, it’s kind of true. Stupid clichés. “Cute outfit, by the way.”

“Thanks,” I giggled. “Now, shut up and listen to the music.” Then, I had a giggle fit when I realized the song playing was Baby by the one, the only, Justin Bieber. “I love this song.”

“Can’t believe he’ll be going to our lame ass school!” Kelsey grinned, thrashing in the backseat to the beat of the song.

I agreed. “Wonder if he’ll end up dating Rebecca.” We all paused, made eye-contact, and said at the same time, “Yeah.” I giggled again.

The conversation switched to Ludacris (who I adored) and then we were at Thousand Oaks High School. As much as we all like to complain about TOHS, (commonly referred to as Toes, at least with me, Kelsey, and Sam) it really is an awesome school. For example, Mr. Giaborini is the coolest music teacher in the world, and his sister is the best Social Studies teacher ever. I have both of them this school year. The only evil here is the students, the math teachers, and the meatloaf.

After putting my stuff in my locker, (I know I’ve had one since sixth grade, but I can still never open it on the first day of school) I rushed to Mrs. Goff’s literature class. I was actually early, but I always rush to class, because I always feel like I’m late… I’m kind of weird like that.

Anyway, it took me about two point five seconds after I sat down to realize I had taken the empty seat next to Justin Bieber himself.

Perfect, I thought with a grimace. Now Rebecca and every other obsessed fan girl in class will be planning on slitting my throat in my sleep or burying me alive… I silently prayed Mrs. Goff moved me, or made us sit in alphabetical order, or something.

As soon I looked at him, Justin flashed me a smile. I admit, it was very cute, probably the best smile I've ever seen. I had just returned it and was about to introduce myself (okay, not going to lie, as much as I knew it was a stupid move, I at least wanted him to know my name) when Kels walked in, chattering about how she needed to steal some of my fairytale juice to find a Prince Charming. Perfect example of why I love her to death.

“Uh, sweetheart?” I asked with a laugh as she sat in front of me. “My whole fairytale thing doesn’t cover Prince Charmings. Why do you think I don’t have one?”

“’Cause he lost his horse and is looking for him instead of you,” Kelsey replied back without missing a beat. “Your Prince Charming should be lucky you’re smart.”

“You mean I’m a geek?” I grumbled as I pulled out a piece of paper, Mrs. Goff’s orders. “Gee, thanks.”

“Chill, senorita,” Kelsey said, getting paper out of my notebook while giving me a dubious look. “What’s up with the sudden self-hate?”

I shrugged, aware that Justin was looking at me. Finishing this conversation with him right there didn’t seem like much fun. "I'm not being self-hating..." I mumbled. At that second, I realized the rest of the class was there and breathed a sigh of relief, praying Kelsey would drop it. Still though, Wayne Tucker was sitting next to Justin, so the whole death-by-fan-girl thing was still entirely possible. Oh yes, because I always wanted to get slaughtered by a squealing teenager. Totally.

“Settle down, class, settle down!” Mrs. Goff said, standing at the front of the room. She was in her late-forties, early fifties, I’d guess, with a older looking face and chocolate brown hair to her butt that I envied. (Her hair, not her butt. Her butt wasn't envy-worthy at all.)

The rest of the class was boring, but I paid strict attention because I could feel Justin’s eyes on me. I knew if I so much as glanced back, he would think I liked him. or at least flirt with me, and that was not an option. Anything anywhere near a romance, even a one-sided one, was out of the question, because of what Rebecca would do to me. Thanks, sissy. I so appreciate it.

To make matters worse, Justin was with me in second period too - right behind me, in fact. You know how I said the math teachers here at Toes were evil? Mrs. Clayton was no different. She must’ve known the hell Rebecca would give me or something and just wanted to add a little hell to my life - only logical explanation.

My schedule was totally cruel, though - my third period was Mrs. Giaborini with Kels and Sammy. Mrs. G knew me because of her brother (Mr. G loves me and says I have “potential” which I find very flattering) so it was an enjoyable class period.

I was really grateful I packed my own lunch when I saw Kelsey poking at the meatloaf - surprise, surprise. We were joking about lunch and lunch-room related topics when Hannah sat down next to me.

“Um, can I help you?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. You remember how I said Hannah hated me? Well, let me say it again: Hannah Jackson freaking hates me. So, her sitting at my lunch table for a reason that wasn't flat-out nasty was like Sammy crushing on Mrs. Goff, the meatloaf tasting good, the Stripper being nice, pigs falling from the sky, et cetera.

“Look,” She said, her bitchy attitude coming out in her tone of voice. “Why were you sitting next to Justin Bieber in two class periods?”

“I didn’t see him sitting there in first period, and Mrs. Clayton put him behind me in second, simple as that,” I replied coolly.

"Sure," She spat, narrowing her blue eyes. “Well, anyway, Rebecca says you need to back the hell up, because he’s hers. Besides…” She dropped her voice and leaned in, malice gleaming in her blue eyes. “I have my own little plans for him.” She gave a giggle I knew was supposed to be sexy, but really just sounded sluttish. "Plus, Rebecca won't rule this school much longer. Just you wait. I'll be the popular one." And with that, Hannah sauntered off.

"She has issues," Sammy whispered after a few minutes.

“I want to shank her with my spork,” Kelsey said dully. “Like I'm shanking this meatloaf.”

While the laughter helped get my mind off Hannah’s warning and her plan, it didn’t do much. I was pretty sure I knew what she was planning, but did Rebecca? I know she was a hag from hell, but she was still my step-sister. I couldn’t let her best friend stab her in the back like that. When I confessed my thoughts to Sammy and Kelsey, they looked at me like I was an idiot.

“Are you nuts?!” Kelsey cried, drawing attention from most of the cafeteria.

“Hush!” I whisper-yelled. “And, no, I’m just compassionate, thank you.”

“Compassionate or stupid?” She questioned. “I think you have the two confused. This just makes no sense to me.”

“Ella, Kelsey‘s right! Rebecca’s been nothing but cruel to you for years!” Sam hissed. “You can’t actually be feeling sorry for her. Its not right.”

“Sammy…” I said softly. “Would you let something like that happen to your dad?”

His face paled, but he ignored the question. “Ella…”

I bit my lip. “Sam, Kelsey, you know we can’t actually let something happen to Rebecca.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Kelsey grumbled before sighing. “If you come up with a plan, I’ll go along with it, I guess. But can this plan please include shanking Hannah the Whore with a spork?”

As I burst out with laughter, I caught Justin looking at me as he dumped his tray. As soon as he saw we had eye-contact, he smiled sweetly and winked at me, causing my heart to stutter and skip a beat or two.

Oh, this is just perfect. Justin is flirting with me, so Rebecca’s going to kill me, and Hannah’s going to be destroying the both of us. Oh, and I may or may not be crushing on Justin myself. Fuck my life.

This calls for an early visit to the music room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I got five commenters (two I didn't even know! :D) and eight subscribers! Thanks, guys! I tried to make this as detailed and funny as possible as a way to say thanks, but I don't know how well it worked.
Hehe, "death-by-fan-girl"... I've got to use that in conversation one day. xD
So, feedback? :) <3