Like a Fairytale

Five.

Ever had the feeling something that make or break an entire situation is about to happen? Yeah, that’s how I felt the morning after I tutored Justin. That explained my silence in the Sammy’s car on the way to school, and at school in general, and my silence explained my best friends’ worry. I’m not the quietest person in the world, in case that wasn’t glaringly obvious.

“Ella, are you okay?” Kelsey asked at lunch, concern lacing her voice.

I did nothing but nod my head, inspecting the sandwich I had packed that morning but had no desire to eat.

“Eleanor,” Sam said warningly. “We aren’t stupid.”

I looked up, faking a smile. “Guys, I’m fi-”

I got cut off by a very pissed-off Hannah Jackson shrieking, “You’re breaking up with me?!” When I looked over at her, she was standing next to Justin, her eyes wild, her face flushed, yet her hair still perfect. It was strange.

Justin remained calm and seated. “If you’re going to act like that, I am. Hannah, I know you were lying about the dance.”

“Well, then how did I know the combination for the iPod, huh?” She screeched. (She sounded a bit like an angry banshee.)

He shrugged. “I don’t know, but I do know that the girl from that night would never act the way you’re acting. Sorry.”

“So what, this past month was just wasted? Now how am I suppose to get famous?! I wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s glasses got shattered from the volume of her voice.

“I want to slap her, I want to slap her, I want to slap her, I want to slap her,” I mumbled over and over again, my hands curled into fists so tight my nails were cutting into my palm.

Justin’s golden-hazel eyes were flashing with anger. “Leave me alone, Hannah.”

She strutted away, calling over her shoulder, “You’ll miss me!”

Since I have essentially no impulse control, I coughed loudly, “Not likely!” causing everyone in the cafeteria to crack up, and Hannah to whirl around angrily.

“Ella Kinsley, you don’t want to get into this,” She snarled.

“What?” I asked, feigning innocence. “I wouldn’t miss you; I’d thank the good Lord that I had escaped with my virginity and then go and try the real girl of his dreams. No, skiddoo, go sleep with someone or something.”

“At least people want to sleep with me!” Hannah screamed. It was so amusing to see her loose her cool.

“At least I don’t have herpes,” I replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Listen, bitch, I can make your life hell,” She smirked. “You really want to go there?”

I laughed. “I’m stronger than you think. Try your worst, I don’t care. Waste your time. It won’t bother me. Just don’t expect me to start crying or whatever.”

“I hate you,” She said, narrowing her sapphire eyes.

“You should really get over that,” I said dryly. “Its not healthy.”

She let out a wail of frustration, and then turned around quickly and left the lunchroom. Everyone was silent, and I, nonchalantly as could be, took a bit of my sandwich, suddenly ravenous.

“Damn!” One of Justin’s friends laughed. “That was sick!’

I giggled. “Thanks, I guess.”

“Bitches get stitches!” Kelsey cried, pumping her fists in the air as Sammy and I dissolved into laughter.

“Hell yes!” His friend cackled.

A slow round of applause had built up, and soon, I was blushing. I saw Justin send me a wide smile.

But, even stranger, Rebecca smiled at me, and to add on to the weirdness, a boy came and sat by us. It turned out his name was Chad, and he was gay too. He and Sam got involved in some serious flirting.

And that was how I stopped being completely invisible.

Image

“Hey, Ella?” Justin asked one night after we had finished working. School had let out for the winter, but I still tutored Justin, and once we got done, it was now customary for him to hang out for an hour or so.

“What?” I asked, looking up from my fluffy Siberian Husky puppy, Jenna. (Yes, I named her after the girl from Balto; go to hell, I’m six at heart.)

“Why… why are Rebecca and your step-mom so mean to you?” He seemed to have changed his mind from what he wanted to ask, but that was a valid question.

I looked back down at Jenna’s bright blue eyes, petting her as I figured out what words I wanted to use for this. “My… my mom died when I was about seven, and my dad got remarried to Tanya about six months later. She didn’t know about me, and when she found out, she didn’t like it. She wanted to have the house to herself most of the time, since Dad’s a pilot, and all of the money for her and Rebecca, and I’m standing in the way. So, she just keeps pushing me and pushing me, hoping I’ll move out or something.”

“Does your dad know?” He seemed genuinely concerned for me, something I wasn’t quite used to; I hadn’t had anyone care for me besides Kels and Sam for a really long time.

I shook my head. “I could never tell him; Tanya would accuse me of lying, and then he would have to choose between his wife and his daughter. I wouldn’t do that to Dad.”

Justin reached out to pet Jenna as well, and our hands overlapped once, causing my heart to race. He smiled. “Are you and your dad close?”

I nodded, smiling myself. “I love when he comes home.”

“How often is that?”

“Once every few months,” I sighed. Longing for my father to be home filled me once again, but I pushed it aside. “Do you see your dad often?”

He shook his head. “He lives back home in Stratford. But, um, speaking of my dad, Ella… me and my mom are going back to Canada this weekend for Christmas, and I know your Christmas won’t be very, um, merry, so… do you want to come with us? You can meet my family, and my friends, and everyone else. I understand if you don’t want to, but I just thought - “

I interrupted him with a grin. “I’d love to, Justin.”

His face lit up. “Really?”

“Really,” I smiled. “Um, do you think your family will like me…?” I was genuinely nervous about that.

He laughed, rubbing his thumb against the top of my hand, which was resting on Jenna’s sleeping head. “They’ll love you Ella. You’ve just got that type of personality.”

“Really?” I asked dubiously; I had never considered that. No boy had ever wanted to date me, so I never had to meet their parents.

“You really don’t know, do you?” He asked in amazement.

“Don’t know what?” My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

He laughed. “Nothing. Yes, they’ll like you, don’t worry. Now, I gotta get home.” He kissed Jenna on the top of the head, and then, he lightly pressed his lips to my cheek. “Bye Ella.”

I waved mutely, still shocked from the cheek kiss. As soon as I was sure he was gone, I squealed. “Oh my effing God!”

Rebecca knocked lightly on the door Justin had left open. “Ella? Can I come in?”

“Sure,” I replied cautiously.

She came in and sat on my bed, crossing her long, tan legs. “Ella, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’ve been so mean to you all these years, and I’m sorry I doubted you about Hannah.”

I was stunned. “Its… its okay, Becky.”

“Okay.” Her soft smile turned into a large grin. “So, you and Justin seem to be getting close.”

I chuckled. “We’re just friends… all though…”

“All though?” She asked.

“He did ask me if I wanted to meet his family in Canada this weekend.”

It was Rebecca’s turn to squeal. “Ella, he totally has a crush on you!”

I laughed. “I don’t think so. He just did it to be friendly.”

“Oh, you don’t really think that, do you?” She giggled. “You’ve got to go. Don’t worry, I’ll talk Mom into it, and keep it from Hannah.”

“Thank you, Becky!” I exclaimed. I was a little suspicious, but she seemed harmless. “Hannah would get really mad, wouldn’t she?”

Rebecca rolled her eyes. “Like you wouldn’t believe. She’s already mad that you’re tutoring him.”

“What about you?” I asked quietly.

She shrugged, smiling. “I just… I saw that he didn’t like me, and I gave up.”

“Wow,” I said softly.

Rebecca and I talked, actually talked, until eleven at night, when we both went to bed. I couldn’t help but smiling and thinking right before I dozed off, Maybe Justin does like me…
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh, drama! Lol, I really liked this chapter.
What about you? Feedback? :) <3