You're My Schennshine

Hockey Family

I was firmly pressed to Luke’s side, holding his hand tightly, although he couldn’t feel it, playing with his hair, trying to make it lay flat again. He laughed at me, finding my frustration and inability to do something that for him was such a simple hairstyle, funny. I hit him in the chest for teasing me, and we laughed, knowing he couldn’t feel it.

It was nothing to laugh about, but we were making the best of it. Trying to make it easier for him to relax. After pledging my undying devotion to him, I could only guess he felt less alone. It would be a struggle we both would take…and things didn’t have to change between us just because he was hurt. They would change…things would put a strain on us…but our relationship had survived long distance, scandal, and puck bunnies. With that relationship resiliency, we could survive anything.

Sure, that was an overstatement. It was impossible with just that barometer for strength to see if this change could keep us together. But, we would try our damnest. The highlights from the Leafs game were on the TV. He had mixed feelings about turning it on. Part of him wanted to support his boys, wanted to ensure that they won…and be as close to it as possible. However, I knew there was one thing he wanted more than having the e game on TV. He wanted to be on the ice….he wanted to be there more than anything.

They won. An interview with Tyler said that they’d done it for Luke…that they all were worried sick and were praying the best. He had tears in his eyes when they gave the win its rightful dedication. Being a part of this team was something special, be it you were part of the team on the ice, or by marriage and relationship. The boys took care of everyone…and never hesitated to make a move when it was necessary. They were a big unit…a big family; Leafs Nation to the most concentrated extent.

“And now an update on the state of Luke Schenn. The Leafs’ defenseman sustained a spinal cord injury late in the first period after the Canadiens’ forward; Maxim Lapierre collided with him into the end boards. He’s currently in stable condition in a local Toronto area hospital, awaiting assessment by his doctors. This is a clip of what happened, it is graphic, so viewers should hold digression-“

“Are you guys seriously watching this bullshit?” I looked quickly over to the doorway, seeing mike at the doorway, holding…an edible arrangements fruit bowl. “Seriously…turn that horseshit off.” He laughed, walking into the room, followed by a flood of huge suited men, Luke’s teammates. I looked at him in surprise as they all filtered past the door into the room, packing it full of his family. His smile was absolutely massive as he looked at his teammates, his eyes flitting around to trace each one of them around the room.

“What are you guys doing here?” He asked softly.

“What the fuck does it look like we’re doing here?” Mike laughed, leaning over and hugging Luke tightly. “To make this room not so glum. Your girl…sorry…with that shit on the TV…is doing a horrible job…no offense Cassidy.” He grinned.

“Fuck you Mike.” I laughed, watching as a group of the guys fitted a helmet with pint
glasses attached to the sides, straws coming down to in front of Luke’s mouth.

“You cannot lift the beer to your lips…so we bring the beer to your head.” Tomas laughed, smiling as someone else held up proudly, a 30 pack of Molson.

“Mike…what the hell is this?” I grinned, pointing to the bouquet of fruit. He looked at me, shrugging then.

“What were we supposed to get him, flowers?” He shook his head. “He’s gonna need to eat, and it’s all on sticks so you can feed him…I don’t know.” He licked his lips, his hand on Luke’s shoulders. He tipped his head as he leaned close. “How you doing bro? You alright?” He asked, obviously concerned, worried for his partner and friend. “Don’t listen to those fucking doctors…whatever they say…it’s wrong…you’re coming back…you’ll be back before you know it.” He said softly. “You got it…” He said softly. “We’re gonna get you nice and healthy and on the ice again…” He patted his back, rubbing it carefully. I don’t think he really realized that Luke couldn’t feel it.

“Let’s get going.” Phil laughed. “Get this party started!” He grabbed a bottle of Molson, flipping off the cap and pouring a little bit into each of the glasses coming off of Luke’s head.

“Luke…you look so goofy.” I laughed softly. He grinned.

“I’m gonna have helmet hair…after you spent all that time trying to fix it.” He teased. I bit my lip and shook my head, shaking my hand at Phil.

“Don’t be mad at me…I want my Schenner happy…” He said innocently.

“If he’s anyone’s Schenner…” Mike laughed, already having a beer in his hand. “It’s me…he’s mine.”

“Um…Excuse me?”

“No…Bros before hoes…Cassidy.” I stared at him, and then looked at Luke, who’d occupied his mouth with his little drinking contraption. I couldn’t believe this.

And I couldn’t believe…how after tragedy…this team did this…they came together and brought humor, brought good times, and tried to make it better. There was a heavy atmosphere that was lifted by the jokes…by the completely out of place fruit salad…by the beer helmet and by the camaraderie of the team. They somehow turned the worst of situations, into a time of comfort…and it was only something our boys could do. I kissed Luke’s cheek as I enjoyed it with him, nursing a beer as I watched the boys chatter. Talking about how Mike had torn Lapierre apart…and how the game had been carnage after that. They beat the arch rivals…and they did it all for Luke.

“Babe…you’re crying.” Luke whispered. I looked at him, seeing his soft, puppy like expression. I hadn’t even noticed. “What’s wrong?” He asked, speaking quiet as to not alert the boisterous (and eager to tease) team.

“I…Just feel so loved” I smiled, kissing his lips. “I…I love these guys…”