You're My Schennshine

Heroes

It’d been a truly long time since I’d sat on some metal bleachers to cheer on a team. I hadn’t done it, honestly since my college days of cheering on the University at Guelph Griffons. They weren’t the best, but they were the only hockey thing we had (although there were local OHL teams…there was nothing than rooting on your university team.) Here I was, somewhere on the outskirts of Toronto in a little beat to hell arena, trying to see over the boards.

“Are you Luke Schenn’s girlfriend?” I wasn’t really recognized as such often, and I looked over, smiling as a woman sat next to me. I bit my lip and nodded.

“Yeah…” I smiled.

“I’m Jason Simon’s wife…Tiffany” I blinked blankly, looking at the ice. “He’s number 16.” She informed me with a smile. “I know they don’t have names on…silly me…usually people…don’t come around often…who don’t know everyone on the team…you know, family or kids.” I nodded in understanding. “How’s Luke doing?”

“He’s progressing awesomely.” I smiled. “And He’s keeping his chin up…he’s doing well.”

“Are you handling it ok? Jason lost his ability to walk in a car accident…” I bit my lip, instantly feeling my heart sink. “It took a while to adjust…he was really depressed for a long while.” She said softly. I bit my lip, figuring this story didn’t end nearly as well as our story would. “I never thought I could deal with it…the stress on our relationship…but we made it work…made it stronger.” I smiled, biting my lip.

“When did he start playing again?” I asked softly.

“About a year after the accident.” She explained. “We spent a lot of time trying to see if we could help him get better. After a little while, we found that his legs weren’t coming back.” She spoke with such conviction. She sounded so comfortable with the cards that fat had dealt her, she looked at her husband time and time again as she talked…the love in her eyes was evident. “He’s been playing for about four years now.” She grinned. I bit my lip, watching the boys circled up at center ice. “He used to play for a pick up league before he got hurt…he couldn’t stay away from it…”

“The team thought that this would be good for him, to get back in the idea of being on the ice.” I smiled. “To breathe in the cold air…and get him back to it….” She smiled, nodding.

“This is great for the guys too. I mean…they never get this kind of attention…”

“He was kind of nervous that they would resent him because…he was in the mend…”

“No…” She shook her head. “They never pity themselves…when they heard Luke was coming…they were thrilled he was coming in. Jason was so happy to meet him…he loves the leafs.” She grinned. “After we used the insurance money to pay off the medical bills...he asked me if it was ok to buy some season tickets…I can’t say no to him really.” She laughed a little bit. “I can’t tell him no.”

I saw Luke then, in his blue and white Maple Leafs jersey. The team was looking at him as Jason used two short sticks, explaining the butt end of the sticks, how they had small little spikes on the end to help you push your sled across the ice. Luke was still having problems walking; they were hesitant to give him a date where he could get back on the ice. To keep him active, there was a suggestion of sledge hockey. And here’s where we were…

“I don’t think I’ll be able to say no to him either.” I grinned. “I’ll be married, pregnant and have his name tattooed on my right butt-cheek before the month is over.” I grinned. “Just you wait.” I laughed, sliding my hand through my hair. She laughed, shaking her head and biting her lip.

“We’ve been considering having a baby...” She smiled. “...Artificial insemination…kind of thing.” I smiled, looking at her, then at the ice.

“So explain these drills to me…what are they teaching him?” I asked curiously.

“Well they’re gonna teach him first how to balance…there are two blades on a sled…kind of like the inside and outside edge of a skate…it’s kind of hard to balance on it, you gotta keep your balance totally centered over the blades or you’ll topple over them.” I nodded as I looked at her. “The two different blades are only like…this far apart.” She held her fingers about 3 inches from each other. “I hope he handles not being so good at something…he might be wobbling a little bit…” She grinned. “But since he can move a little bit, he’ll be good to get himself back on the sled.” I watched as Luke started to wobble then, before his sled ended up on his side. The guys were laughing and slapping their sticks on the ice. “He’s gonna learn to use his sticks for everything…” She grinned. “To keep balance and to move himself…those sticks are a lot more than just being used for shooting like he’s used to.” I nodded, watching Jason, who I now understand as the captain of the team.

Jason looked around at his teammates, yelling something to them. Luke looked down at his sticks and then around as the members of the team twisted their bodies, pushing of their left stick and forcing their sleds sideways as if they were doing a hockey stick. “This drill will get him used to leaning on that butt end and manipulating the sled. If he doesn’t orchestrate his body weight on the sled and his stick properly, he’ll fall onto the slide of the sled.” I watched as Luke started to catch the movement of the drill; however he lost his edge and slipped. “Like that.” She laughed softly.

“I never said Luke was the most graceful.” I giggled as he righted himself. “He’s…agile…but…” I just laughed, watching him get right back into the drill, learning from watching the others, and his mistakes. I smiled and looked at Tiffany. “But he’s a quick learner…” I pointed out, biting my lip.

The drills continued, showing Luke how to move on the ice, how to turn and manipulate himself. He was smiling as he and the guys came off the ice and into their chairs. He was the only one who could stand up and help himself into his chair…and he even blushed a little, upset to show off in front of them. However, as their friends and wives all helped them into their chairs, they were smiling, happy Luke had came, and eager that he’d be coming tomorrow.

We went to every practice that week, and Friday morning, there was a little something different about Luke. He seemed almost too eager to get out the door, getting his brand new sled and sticks and tossing them in the back. He’d gotten a custom sled made for him, blue and white with the number 2. It was a kind of endorsement deal mixed with the Leafs…and a present at the same time. He was so excited to show it off…it was like a boy getting a new toy.

But there was something else he was excited for…and he wouldn’t tell me until we got there. He grinned as the boys all circled up and were helped onto their sleds.

“So um…” He grinned. “I was wondering if you guys minded teaching some real idiots how to play.” He asked, looking around. Jason tipped his head, rubbing his face curiously.

“What’s up Luke?”

“Well…ah…” It was as if on cue then, there was a knock at the door.

“Knock knock?” I looked over, seeing Luke beaming. Dion came in then, holding a sled. “So who’s gonna teach me how to use this fucking thing?”

“Dude, there’s no way this is gonna be that hard.” Tyler laughed.

“I dunno.” Tomas laughed. “You know how uncomfortable Philly gets when he sits.”

“So help you God Tom…if that was a ball joke.”

“You just made it one.” He giggled. The entire Leafs’ team, followed by a camera crew filtered into the dressing room. Jason’s eyes looked like they were going to roll right out of his head, and he laughed nervously, staring at Luke.

“Did you plan this?” He asked softly, almost sounding nervous. Luke laughed and nodded.

“Buddy…You may be hurt, but you’re getting not a fucking bit of mercy from me.” Mike laughed, patting Luke on the back, “you feeling better? Tell me you don’t like this better…we need you back!”

“As if…you guys are doing fantastic!” Luke laughed, patting Mike on the back. “Sit down…I’ll teach you how to get in this thing.” He smiled. “Everyone, partner up.” He advised. “We’re gonna do the buddy system.” He grinned. “Jason’s number 16…he’s the captain.” He grinned. “Listen to him…cause if you don’t, you’ll be lost!” He laughed.

“That’s a pretty little boxcar you got there.” Viktor grinned. “Someone give you that as a present?”

“Yeah…the Leafs guys…it’s pretty swank ain’t it?” He grinned. He was so happy to be with his friends again…it seemed like a long time before all the guys were together like this. He leaned over to help Mike strap himself to the sled.

“Buddy, you’re gonna cut off my circulation.” Mike complained.

“Hush…ya baby.” He laughed.

In time, the entire team was suited up and was being lead to the ice with Luke and Jason in the lead. They went through all the same drills as that first day, showing the boys how to stop, how to turn and how to move. Leafs TV was pulling boys aside at Random, from Jason to Phil, having them talk about the team, about learning to play the new version of the game.

“Yeah…I’m doing ok…I should be starting to get on the ice with the team in the next month or so. Um…you know…it’s been really hard and um…I’m just trying to keep myself busy…keep my head up you know?” Luke said, being the closing interview of the show. “This is great to keep my arm strength up and um…get me on the ice again. I’m really happy to have this opportunity.” He smiled, the camera crew thanked him and he pushed himself over to Jason, talking with him. “Hey guys!” He called. “Jason and I think we should scrimmage, Leafs versus Torrents. Loser buys beer after!”

They all laughed and nodded, coming to the middle to face off. They all knew it would be no contest, and it wasn’t. Monster sucked in net while on the sled, and most of the guys could really only check really well…and even with that, they couldn’t recover nearly as quickly as the Torrents boys could. The only one really capable was Luke, who was making everyone else look about as graceful as elephants on tricycles.

Inevitably, they lost, and everyone suited up and got ready to leave. Lunch followed, with good times abound. It seemed that whenever the boys had their way, it was beer and jokes. And everyone was laughing. It was almost like everything was back to normal…even if Luke was still in his chair.

“Dude…thank you so much...” Jason smiled, sipping his beer.

“You’ve said that 20 million times today.” He laughed

“No really…getting us this kind of exposure…and…I love the Leafs.” He said, star struck.

“We’re just people.” Mike laughed, sipping his beer.

“I’ve been watching you since you were kids…I wanted to play for you…” He laughed. “I…you guys are my heroes…you know.”

“You know…” Luke said softly. “At the end of the day…” He took a breath. “I’m gonna be able to walk again…if I…had to deal with…not ever doing that again…” He smiled, clinking his glass against Jason’s. “You guys are my heroes.”