Sequel: Back 2 Good
Status: Finished! Look for the sequel soon! :)

Mutiny Below

Dresses

Jayce

“Jayce! Gemma’s on the phone!” John yelled and I sighed as I left the dirty dishes in the sink. I wiped my hands on a dish rag before going out into the living room that I had been avoiding all morning because of the strange atmosphere in it.

John was sitting on the couch, a game controller in one hand and the other rose above his head with my cell in it. Nick sat a cushion away, with his own controller tightly gripped in his hands. “Thanks, sweetheart.” I muttered and quickly took the phone back to the bedroom. “Hey Gem.”

You love me, right?

I rolled my eyes. “What do you need?”

What on earth,” she stopped for a moment and then cursed. “Okay, I need you to ride with me to Scottsdale.

“Why?” I rubbed my temple and closed my eyes. A car ride was not particularly how I wanted to spend my Saturday afternoon.

John left his guitar over here last night and they’ve got practice. He’s refusing to play with any other guitar.

“How mature of him.”

Stephen is the mature one. John is more of the childishly-stubborn type, which is why I have to get over there and bring his guitar, and I don’t want to drive alone.

“Why don’t you take Kennedy?” I whined. “I’m sure he’d love to catch up with the guys.”

Gemma sighed heavily into the phone. “We’re fighting at the moment.

“About what?” My eyebrows furrowed together. Gemma and Kennedy were practically glued together 90% of the time. They hardly ever fought, but when they did, it was big and it was troublesome.

The Gomez brothers.” She mumbled and I frowned.

“About which one’s hotter?”

He said I was using them.” Gemma’s voice was full of distress. It was clear this whole thing was tearing her apart.

“That doesn’t sound like Kennedy.” I frowned a little deeper.

I don’t know where it came from either. After the band left, I made John leave but as soon as he did, Kennedy freaked out on me. He started yelling about how pathetic it was that I toyed with them and played them against each other. He called me a tramp.” She sniffled.

“Oh, Gem.”

I’m not though! You know I don’t put them against each other! None of us want anything serious. It’s just something fun and it helps with the loneliness.

“I know, Gemma.”

Not all of us can have what you and John have. You guys are so perfect. It’s like you complete each other. I’d like to have that, I just can’t find my other half. I’m not a tramp.” She mumbled the last sentence and I had the sudden urge to punch Mr. Brock’s lights out.

“Course you’re not a tramp, doll. Kennedy’s just being an asshole. He’s probably PMSing too.” I added and Gemma snorted. “I’ll be ready to go in about two minutes. You coming to pick me up?”

Yeah, thanks Jayce.

“Anything for you best friend.” I smiled as I grabbed my wallet from the vanity and slipped it into my back pocket.

Right. See you in a few, best friend.” She mocked me and I giggled.

“Kay, bye.” I closed the phone and put it into my other back pocket as I went back to the living room. “John, I’ve got to go to Scottsdale with Gemma.”

“Why?” John whined as he paused the game and put his head back to connect his green eyes with my blue ones.

“Because your guitarist is being a ridiculous dickhead.” I folded my arms and John’s eyebrows scrunched together.

“Jared?”

I rolled my eyes and dropped my arms, bringing my hands to the sides of his head. “Kennedy.” I corrected as I ran my fingers through his hair. “He’s being a douche bag and you need to figure out why.”

“I do?” He raised his eyebrows and smirked.

“Yes, you do. That way when we get back, they can makeup and we’ll be a happy family again.” I smirked back at him and leaned over to peck his lips upside down. “I figure while I’m there, I’ll stop by the mall and pick up a few new dresses. You know, since my mother pointed out that I wear the same one to dinner every time I visit.”

John chuckled and shook his head. “I’m surprised she didn’t notice that three months ago.”

I lightly pushed the back of his head and then turned my attention to the reason of my early morning anxiety. “Do you think Nat would like to come?” I figured it was better to ask the person who knows her best than to drag her again into an awkward situation.

Nick made a face where he scrunched up his nose. “Malls and shopping aren’t really her thing, but I would like to tag along. If you girls don’t mind.” He added with a charming smile. My knees almost buckled at the sight.

“Uh, I’m sure Gemma won’t mind. You’ll have to sit in the back though.” My hands fidgeted and my stomach sank. Spending a whole day with Nick was surely going to lead to trouble.

“Fine by me.” He shrugged and turned back to the television as John had just resumed their game. I bit my bottom lip and went to grab my shoes. A few minutes later, a car honked outside.

“That’s Gemma.” I notified the two boys and John groaned as the game stopped. Nick stood up and went to the front door, probably to get his shoes from there. “We probably won’t be back till dinner time.” I placed my hands on the sides of his neck and kissed him hard. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” He grinned like a small child and it made me giggle as I walked around the couch, toward the door.

“Don’t forget to talk to Kennedy!” I shouted over my shoulder and got a grunt in response.

Nick waited for me at the door, holding it open for me patiently. I smiled and nodded thankfully as I skipped out. Gemma was just getting out of her car as we reached the lot.

“Uh, aren’t we going somewhere?” I asked confused as I watched her struggle to get John’s guitar case out from the backseat of her car.

“I was hoping we could take your car. I’m too fucking tired to drive.” She sighed as she slammed the door and approached us. Fighting with Kennedy never did too good on her nerves.

“Sure, babe.” I smiled sympathetically and unhooked the keys from my belt loop. I unlocked the car and got in the driver’s seat. Nick took the guitar case from Gemma and put it in my trunk as she got in the passenger seat.

“I thought you didn’t like Nick.” She mumbled as she started to lay the seat all the way back.

“Where’d you get that idea from?” I scrunched my eyebrows together and bit my lip.

“Maybe because every time you two are in the same room, you’re sending glares at each other.” She said in a ‘duh’ tone as the backseat door opened and Nick climbed in.

“Things change.” I muttered under my breath and eyed him in my rear view mirror before I pulled out. My eyes continued to dart to the backseat for the next few minutes as I carefully drove to the outskirts of town. Nick was smirking the whole way and it befuddled me. He stared out the window and just smirked.

It wasn’t until the CD player started to skip that I realized the reason he looked so smug in the back. My cheeks burned as I groaned mentally. “Hey Gem, can you switch the CD?”

She nodded as she hit the eject button and then examined the piece of plastic. “John Oh going overboard with the demo’s again?” She asked and I licked my lips as my eyes strayed to the rearview mirror one more time. My blue eyes met hisgorgeous hazel ones for a few seconds and then I cowardly looked away.

“Uh, yeah.” I answered distractedly and concentrated all of my attention to the road. Gemma put in John Mayer and I sang along under my breath while she sang a little louder. I couldn’t quite tell if Nick was singing along too, but I tried hard to just pretend he wasn’t there in the first place. It made focusing on the cars around me easier.

Ten minutes later, we were parked in Josh’s drive way. I hesitated as Nick got out, retrieving the guitar case, and Gemma opened her door. “I’ve got to run to the mall for a little bit. Do you think you’ll be okay here with the guys?”

“It’s fine, Jayce. I’m a big girl.” She huffed and leaned over the middle consul to wrap her arms around my neck. “Thanks for coming with me.”

“Anytime, Gems. I’m here for you.” I rubbed her back and listened to her sigh before she got out of the car. The door slammed at the same time the trunk did and I watched as she exchanged a few words with Nick. He nodded and handed over the case before coming to the passenger seat.

He got in and closed the door without saying a word. I stared at him while he watched Gemma walk up the driveway. “Is she alright?” He finally turned to me once the front door closed behind her. “She’s not as bitchy as usual, just really depressed.”

“She’s fighting with her best friend and that tends to take a toll on a person.” I grumbled sarcastically as I started to reverse. He nodded like he understood and then we fell into silence, a very long silence.

I regretted being so nonchalant about him coming. I should have come up with some excuse as to why he couldn’t. I should have asked John to come instead of pushing him on Kennedy. I bit my lip as I placed my hand on my cell phone. Maybe I should just call to check in.

“So what is it we’re here for again?” Nick interrupted my thoughts as he scanned the stores we were passing.

I have to buy some dresses, but you were vague with why you had to come.” I noticed the bitter resentment in my tone and so did he. Nick looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I frowned and sighed. “Sorry, Gemma’s stress must be seeping into me.”

“Feel free to shoot insults at me if you need to. I kind of deserve it anyway.” He chuckled and put his hands in his pockets. I looked at him from the corner of my eye suspiciously. He was so weird sometimes.

“Nobody deserves it.” I mumbled and crossed my arms as I started to stray toward a store. Nick followed silently, but I caught him grinning over my shoulder as we entered Angela’s.

I’ve never really been a big shopper. My mom was and she occasionally dragged me with her. Gemma liked to shop, mostly because I always paid for her things. Money wasn’t a problem, finding something that looked right on me was however.

I scanned a few racks but didn’t really find anything similar to my tastes while Nick looked over my shoulder quietly. I figured he was dazing out or something, because honestly what guy likes to go dress shopping? I was proved wrong when I came across a bright yellow knee high dress.

“You’d look gorgeous in that.” He muttered close to my ear and I quickly swiveled around to stare at him in disbelief. He smiled a little. “The yellow would look nice with your tan.” He gestured to the dress my fingers were still clutching.

Why does he have to compliment me like that? It’s starting to severely confuse me, meaning MAYDAY!

“Try it on.” He chuckled and reached out to take the dress off the rack and away from my hands. “That one too.” He laughed as he pointed to an overly floral dress. It almost looked like someone had barfed on it.

“Ew! I wouldn’t wear that anywhere.” I stuck my tongue out in disgust, making him laugh more. “But on the upside, my mother would absolutely hate it.” I smirked as I ran my hands along the fabric. “Eh, too itchy.” I shrugged and went to the next rack.

“Is that what these dresses are for? Family day?”

“Yeah, my mom makes us dress up for dinner. It’s kind of lame, but it’s their money and their time.” I shrugged again while sifting through more dresses.

“Okay, I’m going out on a stretch here, but it sounds like you don’t really get along with your parents.”

“You are correct.” I nodded and gave him a strange look.

“Then why do you agree to this whole thing?” I snorted and turned my gaze back to the dresses. I found one that was semi my taste and completely anti my mother’s so I grabbed it.

“They pay my expenses.”

“So you sell yourself for money?” He sarcastically summed up and I glared at him while he smirked.

“You’re so charming sometimes, you know?” I sarcastically spat back at him and threw two more dresses at him, just to make his load heavier.

“That is beside the point.” He shifted the dresses all onto one arm and took the one that was still my hand with ease. “Why don’t you break away from them if you hate them so much?”

“Why are you so nosey?” I avoided the question and put my hands on my hips to fake anger.

“Because I see you’re unhappy when you could be ecstatic.” He shrugged and I pressed my lips together. There wasn’t much I could say back to that.

“It’s just how things are.” I turned and started to walk away from him.

“It’s not how things have to be though.” He insisted and kept pace with me. “You’re capable of changing anything in your life you don’t like.”

“Easier said than done.” I mumbled and took the dresses from his as we reached the fitting rooms. I walked into the closest room and hip bumped the door close before he could say anymore.

I put on the yellow dress first since it was on top. It fit perfectly around my hips and I bit my lip as I stared at my reflection. I was debating on whether or not to show Nick. The tiny voice that was saying he did pick it, after all finally won and I walked out of the fitting room with fake confidence.

“What do you think?” I held my hands up, pulling Nick’s attention away from the wall. His mouth opened as his eyes scanned me. I felt completely open and naked to him, like nothing could be hidden from him, when he looked at me like that and it scared the shit out of me.

Finally his voice started working again. “It looks good.” He lamely spoke as his eyebrows furrowed together. I checked the side mirror again and frowned. I was expecting a little more that looks good.

I shuffled back into the room and changed again. This was one of the dresses I’d thrown at Nick just because and of course I hadn’t bothered to check the size. I had barely gotten it over my thighs before I gave up and kicked it to the corner.

Now my self esteem was slowly dwindling as I pulled on the third dress. This one was a strapless gown that went down to the floor. It was a deep purple color that surprisingly didn’t clash with my dark red hair. I debated again on whether or not to show Nick, but again ended up standing in front of him seconds later.

He grinned widely as I spun around. “Stunning.” He nodded and I couldn’t help but giggle like a small girl.

“Want to know a secret?” I bit my bottom lip as he waited for me to continue. I stepped a little closer and whispered. “This dress makes me feel like a princess!” I started giggling uncontrollably and he chuckled.

“You definitely have to buy it then.”

“I agree.” I tiptoed back into the room and carefully took the dress off. I set it gently on the spare chair and turned to the fourth dress. I pursed my lips as I stared at it. I didn’t remember picking it up or even seeing it as we walked through the store. I counted the dresses and came up with five. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where the extra dress came from. I hadn’t seen Nick pick one up, except for the yellow one.

I changed into the dress I did recognize and walked out without even a second thought. Nick had taken a seat by the half circle of mirrors. “What kind of statement are you trying to make with this one?” He arched his eyebrows and gave me an insane look.

“Rebellion.” I chirped happily. My mother would absolutely die when she saw me in this.

Nick chuckled and shook his head as he watched me return to the room. I examined the odd dress again and this time checked the size. It was mine. I sighed before slipping off the ‘rebel’ dress and putting on the final fifth one.

I frowned as I tried to zip up the back, but failed. I bit my bottom lip hard as I held the dress up and peaked my head out of the room. “Nick!” I whisper shouted and his head snapped toward me. “Come here!” He was grinning lazily as he strode over and I had to forcefully push away goose bumps as I spun around, presenting my bare back to his warm, hazel eyes. “Zip me.” I pleaded and stared at the wall.

It was silent for a moment and then his cool hands brushed against my lower back as he grabbed the zipper. He slid it up slowly and I held my breath the entire time. When he pulled away, I waited a good five seconds before turning around. He hadn’t moved. Our bodies were inches apart and our faces only a few more. My breath caught again as I stared into his sparkling eyes.

“This is my favorite.” He muttered lowly and smiled slowly, making my stomach flip over backwards. His eyes were such an interesting color. They were a dark brown on the outside of the iris and a light brown in the middle, but close to his pupils were a bright green. Needless to say, I was mesmerized. “You are so beautiful.” He murmured and then slowly leaned in.

My eyes closed from instinct and my heart swelled as my breathing stopped all together for the third time in the last minute. His lips softly kissed my cheek and I exhaled as he pulled back. My head was spinning as I opened my eyes. Nick took a step back and I closed the changing room numbly.

Oh my god. I stared at my reflection for a moment before I quickly snapped myself from my daze. Unfortunately now I was stuck in the dress I couldn’t zip on my own. I managed to get the zipper down halfway by rubbing my back against the wall and then slip the dress off carefully so as not to make any rips.

I dressed in my regular clothes and scooped the dresses up. When I exited, Nick was waiting with his hands in his pockets. We were both quiet as we went to the register. I paid for my four dresses and then we exited the store, still not talking. There was about a good three feet distance between us as we stumbled around the mall.

Nick strayed into Tilly’s and I followed timidly. I was a little confused when he went over to the girls side and started to look for something in particular. I followed him like a puppy and watched as he started to get frustrated. Finally he asked an employee about a backpack and she guided us toward the back wall that was lined with all sorts of backpacks.

I was even more confused as he searched the designs and pointed out one in particular. I didn’t say anything as he bought it, though I was really dying to. We passed through the food court on our way back to the car and I got a few cookies from Subway. I offered some to Nick and he graciously accepted.

It wasn’t until we were walking in the parking lot that I could no longer keep the curiosity behind my tongue. “So, what’s the backpack for?” I glanced at him and listened to him chuckle.

“School.” Great. One word answers. My favorite thing in the world. Not.

“Not to be offensive, or anything, but don’t you think it’s a bit girly for you?” He full on laughed now as I unclipped my keys and unlocked the car.

“It should be girly, considering it’s a present for Nat.” He explained and then ducked into the car. My eyebrows furrowed as I slipped in and he tossed the bag to the back. “She ripped her old bag last semester and I saw her eyeing this one before we left.”

“That’s really sweet.” I thought out loud as I started the car and then I wanted to knock myself upside the head.

He laughed. “Yeah, you wouldn’t say that if you had seen how I got her on the plane to here.”

“So the backpack is like a peace offering?”

“Sorta.” He shrugged. “I’m just glad she’s starting to warm up to everyone.”

“Especially Halvo.” I muttered and then bit my lip as I glanced at him before backing up.

“Especially Eric.” He agreed. “Both Eric and John have started to get her out of her shell. I don’t have a fucking clue how they’re doing it. I’ve been trying for years, but nothing’s worked.” He mused as he stared out the window.

“John has a way of bring out the best in people.” I smiled to myself as I thought about my boyfriend. “He changed me for the better.” I added without much thought.

“How so?” Nick questioned and my stomach sank.

“I was just a mess when I met him. I wanted to be everything my parents weren’t and in the end I was just hurting myself. John showed me that. He showed me what it’s really like to be loved.”

“Can I ask a question and you not get angry at me?” I glanced at him, but he wasn’t looking at me. His attention was set to the dashboard, making me that much more anxious about his question.

I swallowed. “Okay.”

It was a few seconds before he spoke again. “What was the argument about that led to you two breaking up?” I gripped the steering wheel as memories flooded my mind. I didn’t like to remember that fight with John. At one point, I’d thought it was the end of us and that nearly killed me.

I sighed before answering. My voice was much softer and lower now. “It was stupid,” was the first thing I said.

“It had to be some kind of important to drive you away from him and have sex with me.” I glared over at him briefly. He was still staring out the window, his face calm and expressionless. I hated how blunt he was.

“John changed me for the better, like I said. He got me back into academics, so after high school we both started college. It was okay for a year, but then John dropped out to pursue his music. The next year came around and I enrolled alone. By the second week I knew I didn’t want to do school anymore. There just wasn’t a point.” I stopped and paused. I didn’t completely understand why I was telling him everything. I could have just simply said ‘school’. That would have answered his question. Why did I feel like I had to spill my secrets and guts to this boy? Fuck if I know.

I licked my lips before continuing. “So mid-semester, I decided to quit. John freaked. He wanted me to finish, get my degree, and get some fancy job. He really just had my best interests at heart, but I didn’t think about it like that. Instead, I got pissed and called him a hypocrite. The argument escalated from there until finally I stormed out. I stayed at Gemma’s and whenever he showed up to talk I told him we were through and screamed names at him.” A hint of a bitter smile played on my lips. “He visited the day I met you.”

“That’s why you slept with me.”

“Yeah.”

I sighed and chewed on my bottom lip. It was all a mistake and if I could take it back, I would. All of it. I frowned as we settled into another silence. I pulled into Josh’s driveway again and pulled my phone out to text Gemma. Nick got out of the passenger seat and climbed into the back. We sat quietly with just the sound of the a/c blowing in the background. I wondered what happened to the music when the front door of the house slammed open and Gemma came running out.

My eyebrows scrunched together as she got closer. She was alone and as she got closer I noticed she was crying. She jumped into the car and proceeded to hunch over and let sobs over take her body.

“Gemma?” I worriedly placed a hand on her back and glanced at the doorway again, looking for a reason as to why she was so much more distressed. Being here usually helped calm her down.

“Just drive.” She instructed sternly and I hesitated before giving her shoulder a squeeze. I backed out of the driveway and started back home, glancing frequently at her. It was a few minutes before she composed herself. She sat up and stared out the front window. Her eyes were puffy and red and her lips in a melancholy pout. “I just had sex with Stephen.”

My mouth dropped open and my foot leaned up from the gas for a moment in shock. “What-what happened?” I asked cautiously. I didn’t know exactly how to approach this.

Gemma sniffled. “After practice he pulled me up to his room and asked me what was up with the sad face. I told him nothing and then he threw it in my face that I didn’t even crack a smile when he licked his bass when he knows that’s a turn on for me and so I broke down and told him about Kennedy. I was crying and he was letting me cry on his shoulder and then it just happened.”

“It just happened?” I repeated and though I didn’t really want to, I started to picture it.

“I don’t know.” She sighed frustrated. “One minute I was literally soaking his shirt with my tears and then the next we were kissing. Before I even realized it, my clothes were off and so were his.”

“Okay! I do not need this mental picture!” I raised my hand to make her stop. I was trying so hard not to picture Stephen Gomez naked.

“Jayce! I’m so screwed up!” She whined and I returned my hand to the steering wheel.

“You’re not screwed up.” I reassured her, but it was no use.

“Yes I am!” She cried. “A-after w-we d-did it-t, h-he to-old m-me h-he l-loves m-me.” My eyes widened a little. Last time I checked, flings were not supposed to talk about love after having sex. “Kennedy was right! I’m a tramp and I’ve been playing with his and his brother’s emotions this whole time! I’m a fucking tramp, Jayce!”

“No, Gemma. You are not a tramp. You didn’t intend to play with his emotions, or John’s. Kennedy was upset. That’s the only reason he would say something like that, and Stephen,” I hesitated. “Stephen’s probably mistaking love for lust.”

“You didn’t see the way he was looking at me. It was like how John looks at you!”

“You can’t tell if someone loves you by the way they look at you.”

“Yes you can!”

“No, Gems, you can’t. You know a person loves you by the way they act around you. If Stephen loved you he would have no problem committing to a serious relationship with you. Does he want to start a relationship?” I raised my eyebrows and glanced over at her.

She sniffled again. “He didn’t mention it.”

“See. It’s fine. Everything’s fine. You’re not a tramp. He’s not in love with you. Kennedy was wrong and everything’s okay.”

“Can I stay at your place tonight?”

“Course. We’ll eat ice cream on the couch and watch The Outsiders over and over until we fall asleep. How’s that sound?”

She pouted. “Seeing you and John Oh being couple-y is not going to help me right now.”

“I promise John and I won’t be couple-y. We’ll even kick him out if we have to.”

She sighed again. “Okay.” She agreed weakly and rested her head against the window. I bit my lip and turned John Mayer back on to lull her to sleep. It worked.

A few minutes later I felt the burn of someone’s eyes. I glanced at the mirror and nearly jumped out of my skin. Somehow in the chaos, I’d managed to forget all about Nick in the backseat.

“You really believe that?” His voice sounded groggy, like he hadn’t used it in a while.

“Believe what?” I took one hand off the steering wheel to rub at my temples. A headache was starting to form just behind my eyes.

“Not being able to see love in someone’s eyes.”

I paused and thought for a moment. The words had just spilled from me earlier, to comfort Gemma. “Love’s a tricky subject.” I decided was the best answer and for some reason Nick let that settle.

Only John Mayer’s voice was heard for the rest of the car ride home.
♠ ♠ ♠
John Mayer kicks ass : ) and here are Jayce's dresses in the order she tried them on, left to right plus Nat's new backpack.
okay, we have 46 subscribers yet we hardly get one comment on a chapter ... what's going on? where are you people? please stop by and let us know what you think. please. I'll beg if I have to. the comment can be as simple as 'i like this' or copy&pasting your favorite part of the chapter. anything goes.
Jayce.
I had a lot of fun writing this chapter, hence why it's so long. The tension between Nick and Jayce is really starting to get to me. Anyone else?
xooxEmber