Sequel: Back 2 Good
Status: Finished! Look for the sequel soon! :)

Mutiny Below

Like This

Jayce

Things were back to normal finally. Gemma and Kennedy were even more glued to each other, as if that were possible. It was adorable to see the two long time friends admit feelings for each other. Everyone else, however, was not so thrilled for the new couple, mostly because their lips were also glued to each others.

More importantly, I had successfully avoided Nick for three whole days.
However, I could still feel the light touch of his lips on my cheek and his fingers on my back.

“Jaaayyyce!” John whined from outside the bathroom. I rolled my eyes and ran a hand through my warm curls. Tonight we were going out, which I was looking forward to and regretting at the same time. Why? Because Rocket was invited.

“Jaaayyyce!” Garrett mocked John and I shook my head with another eye roll as I opened the bathroom door. “It’s about damn time. What took so long?”

“It takes time to look this good, Gar.” I winked at him as John’s hands smoothly found their way to my hips. Garrett made a face before turning and heading down the hallway. “Is everybody else already ready?” I tilted my head sideways to get a look at John, but he buried his face in my neck.

“Mmhhmm.” He hummed as his lips barely brushed against my skin, up and down my neck, sending shivers through me. I smirked as I laced my fingers with his and pulled away from him, dragging him down the hallway behind me.

“Well then, let’s go.” I giggled as he groaned and shuffled his feet along. Garrett was waiting by the door and Jared on the couch. Someone had decided it would be more fun to car pool.

“Get your ass up, Monaco! Jayce is finally done!” Garrett yelled before stalking out the door. I, yet again, rolled my eyes as I followed him. John stayed behind to lock up after Jared exited and then the four of us started the short walk over to Halvo’s. Did I forget to mention that someone’s brilliant idea was for practically everyone to carpool in one small car? Yeeaaah.

“Shot gun!” Jared shouted as we got in seeing distance of Eric’s car. Garrett smacked him in the back of his head.

“Nat’s riding shotgun, dude, so she can sit with her new boyfriend.” He said it in a duh tone and all our eyes turned to him.

“Halvo’s dating Nick’s little sister?” Jared verbalized all our confusion and Garrett rolled his eyes.

“It’s only a matter of time.” He shrugged and I sighed.

“Try not to tease them.” I warned, knowing his mind probably wasn’t the only one thinking of jokes to make Natalia and Eric blush.

“But Jayce!” Garrett whined and I simply raised one eyebrow at him. “You suck the fun out of everything.” He grumbled just before we reached the car.

“You guys are late.” Eric observed and his eyes went straight to me.

“Okay, guys. I’m sorry I take forever to get ready! Happy?” I threw my hands up as the guys chuckled. I tried my hardest, but I couldn’t help a small glance at Nick. It was just too tempting.

He was leaning against the car with his arms crossed and smirk firmly on his lips as he stared at me. The smirk dropped quickly as I felt two arms wrap around me from behind again. “I’m happy.” John muttered into my ear and then kissed it, making me giggle.

Garrett made a gagging noise and both John and I shot him a glare. “Right, well, let’s take this party to the club!” He fist pumped the air before running to the driver’s door. I laughed and followed to his side, ignoring the other red head staring me down.

Eric leaned his seat up and Garrett got in first, then John, and then me on John’s lap. Jared got in on the other side with Nick and Natalia sharing the passenger seat. Someone made a joke about a clown car and everyone laughed, but I wasn’t really paying attention.

It felt like the air around me was hot and sticky. All I could think about was how close I was to Nick. It wasn’t near as close as we’d been at the dress shop, but that didn’t matter. Being in the same car had almost the same effect. My nerves were on end and my eyes wanted to just stare holes in him. I wanted to stare into his gorgeous hazel eyes and trace those lips with my finger. If I tried really hard, I could just barely remember the feeling of them on mine. It would send my stomach into summersaults for hours.

Of course, I tried hard not to remember. I leaned back into John and turned my head so I had to stare out the window. It was too dark out to see much of anything, but as we got closer to downtown and the small club the boys often played at, street lights started to pop up. There weren’t many people out on a Tuesday night, but I guess that was the point. The boys didn’t want to run into any hometown fans.

Tonight was all about kicking back and having fun. Too bad my anxiety was in overdrive.

“Jayce?” Eric’s voice snapped me from my daze and I broke my stare from the window to his big brown eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed and his mouth pulled down in a frown. “You coming?” He questioned and I wondered what he meant until I realized he was standing outside the car.

I bit my bottom lip as I took his hand and skillfully hopped out of the car without falling in my heels. John followed and replaced his arm around my waist quickly. He started to lead us to the club without even waiting for the others.

“Is something wrong, Jayce?” He asked once we were out of ear shot of the others. I should have known that was why he hadn’t waited for anyone else. John was always the worry wart type.

“I’m fine. I just zoned out a little. No big deal.” I smiled and laced our fingers again. He eyed me over again, looking for one twitch that said I was lying. After not finding one, he squeezed my hand and kissed my forehead.

I got another side glare from Nick for that. The rest of our small group had caught up with us and I couldn’t help but notice that Natalia was looking more and more green as we got closer to the club, like she was going to be sick. I smiled as I watched Eric throw his arm around her neck and whisper something in her ear. The two would make a pretty adorable couple.

“Kenny says he’s got a table over by the wall already.” Jared informed us as he checked his phone.

“And the fun begins.” Garrett smirked as we stepped into the dark venue. Sometimes they had live bands here, but that was usually on the weekends. During the week, they turned on the strobe light and opened the bar. It wasn’t bad for a small town like Tempe, but I’d grown up in Phoenix and most of my adolescence had been spent club hopping in the heart of the city.

“Don’t you mean the alcohol?” John joked and Garrett nodded as they steered us toward our usual booth in the back corner. Gemma was sitting on Kennedy’s lap, of course, and Pat and Tim were on either side of them. The rest of Rocket was missing.

“Jayce!” Pat chirped and I grinned as I slid in the booth beside him.

“Pat!” I mocked and accepted the lung crushing hug that only tiny Pat could give.

“Where’s Andrew and Justin?” John directed his question toward Tim as he slipped in beside me and Garrett beside him. John rested his hand on my thigh as he leaned forward a bit to try and hear Tim’s answer.

“So Jayce, are you coming to the photo shoot on Friday?” My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion at Pat’s inquiry.

“What photo shoot?” I shook my head and his eyes widened before darting to John.

“Uh … um, nah-nothing.” He shook his head fiercely and turned toward the Shirley Temple in front of him. I would have giggled usually at the fact that the young boy had to drink a pink girly drink because we were at a bar and he was underage, but my mind was too preoccupied to even find the humor in it.

“Pat,” I put some motherly stern in my tone and his brown eyes glanced at me.

“There’s a photo shoot on Friday for Warped Tour.” He mumbled and then frowned as he turned toward me. “I’m sure John was going to tell you, probably before you leave on Thursday.”

“Right.” I nodded and sulked. I didn’t even bother asking how long they’d all known about the photo shoot. It had probably just slipped his mind. I sighed and tried convincing myself as my eyes strayed across the table.

Nick was talking with Tim, but he was looking at me. He raised one eyebrow at my pout as if to question it but I just shrugged. I wasn’t in the mood for drinking or dancing anymore. I got pulled into both nonetheless.

Kennedy ordered a round for everybody, minus Natalia and Pat who both drank Shirley Temples throughout the night. Eric was the first to raise his glass and proclaim we cheered to something.

“To Natalia!” Eric yelled as no one else had anything to say. “For lasting a whole week with our crazy asses.” The guys chuckled and I giggled as Natalia’s face turned bright red. She elbowed Eric in his side, but that only made him laugh louder.

“To Natalia!” We all agreed and then it was heads back. The next one went to Gemma and Kennedy who decided to start kissing afterward, and the third went to the promise of Warped Tour.

After that it was all downhill. John dragged me to the dance floor and I let the rhythm take over. My body swayed and pressed against his as his hands went up and down my sides. It was nice to finally be in a bubble of just me and John. It seemed like it had been too long since the last time we had quality time away from the guys.

Ten songs flew past as they morphed into each other and before I knew it, I was out of breath. I glanced around and found only Natalia sitting at our table, all alone and bored looking. I frowned as I pulled away from John slowly.

I stood up tiptoes to reach his ear. “I’m going outside for some air.” I hesitated as I glanced over at the table again. “You should go ask Nat to dance.” John gave me a weird look before looking over at the table too and frowning. “Show her your awesome sprinkler and I’m sure she’ll just fall at your feet.” I giggled and moved to walk away but he wrapped his arms around my waist and held me there. John kissed me and then let me go as he strode back over to the booth.

I watched for a moment as Natalia shook her head at first, but John grabbed her hand and yanked her from the booth. I smirked and then turned for the back exit. The warm Arizona air felt good against my clammy skin and in my lungs. There was a peculiar smell that made my stomach churn as I exhaled loudly.

“Claustrophobic?” I nearly jumped from my skin at the voice. My heart beat wildly in my chest and my lungs seemed to forget how to take in air. I closed my eyes and numbly shook my head as I tried to regain control of myself.

I leaned against the wall and took slow, deep breaths. It took longer that it should have to tame the erratic beating in my chest and the thudding in my ears, but finally it did recede. When I opened my eyes again, I hoped he was gone. I hoped I’d just imagined him in the first place, but of course I hadn’t.

Nick stood merely five feet away, leaning on the same wall I was with a cigarette between his fingers. “So, does Kenny know?” He asked before exhaling a puff of smoke. That all too familiar shudder rippled through me again.

“Kn-know what?” I stuttered and then bit my bottom lip. Nick gave me a funny look before explaining.

“Does he know Gemma slept with Stephen?” He asked simply, as if it were the only question he could be asking and I was dumb for not knowing it.

I shook my head. “No.” Nick snorted and nodded.

“I figured as much.” He took another drag and I made my eyes stray to the wall across from us. “Sex changes everything.” I squirmed.

“I don’t think he would mind. I mean, he’d probably feel more guilty that he pushed her into some other guy’s bed, but he l-loves her.” I didn’t know why I stumbled over that word. I caught another weird glance from Nick.

“It wouldn’t be the same anymore though.” Another cloud of smoke blew my way from a light breeze. “Sorry,” he muttered and moved so that he was standing in front of me. I shrugged, biting my tongue from blurting how that damn cigarette was driving me insane.

“You’re n-not going to tell him, are you?” I brought my eyes up to his bravely so that I could get an honest answer. As much as I didn’t think it would matter, something inside told me that if Kennedy found out, the picture wouldn’t be so pretty anymore.

Nick smirked. “Now why would I do that? Tear apart the happy couple?” He chuckled cynically and shook his head. “Nah, I’ve got bigger things on my mind.” He smirked again, with a I’ve-got-a-secret look in his eyes.

“L-like what?” I cursed myself for asking and I cursed myself for stuttering. I was showing him just the kind of effect he was having on me and I needed to stop before something happened.

I swallowed hard as Nick stared at me for a moment, like he was putting together a puzzle. His lips twitched as he took careful step toward me. “Like this,” he muttered as he continued to step closer.

My body was frozen as he closed the distance between us and put his hands up to cup my face. I melted at his touch and my eyes fluttered close. His lips pressed against mine softly and then slowly they started to move against mine. I could taste the cigarette on him, bitter yet so perfectly right. My stomach felt bottomless as my hands rested against his chest, my fingers clutching to his shirt. I was totally lost in the moment, in him.

The back door to the club slammed open again and two drunken men staggered out. That was all it took to bring me back to my senses. My eyes opened immediately and fear took over the dreamy state. I pushed Nick away halfheartedly and he stumbled back a few steps. His features were torn between confusion and hurt. Tears started to well up in my eyes as my body grew heavy.

I darted for the door and escaped back inside before either of us could say anything. I blinked hard to make the tears go away, but it didn’t do much help. It was easy to spot John in the middle of the dance floor, making a fool of himself, with Natalia clutching her stomach, probably from laughing at him. I couldn’t walk up to them with the tears spilling down my cheeks. I couldn’t go to anybody. It would bring up questions and in this state, I couldn’t keep my secrets in.

I wiped at my cheeks and went to the front exit, heading straight for the car. I found Eric’s spare key in the magnetic box under the driver’s door and quickly slipped into the backseat where I laid down. The tears continued to pour as I curled up into a ball and sniffled.

I couldn’t lie about my attraction to Nick anymore. That kiss made everything evident.
♠ ♠ ♠
whew X D Nicholas is just too tempting for his own good. Jayce.
As Marissa said, THE MAINE'S ALBUM CAME OUT YESTERRRRDAY! lol, who else has it? I do! and it's totally awesome. those boys are great. I love them.
short story time! lol, so I was driving today with my little sister and out of the blue we passed a dakota truck and she screamed "Dakota!" at the top of her lungs as she pointed at it and then proceeded to sing "Ba da ba ba ba da ba ba da ba da" : ) I'm proud of her *tears up*
xooxEmber