Hey Romeo, Don't You Think You're Just a Tad Overrated?

The Blue Notebook

Calculus was the last class of the day before school officially ended for the week. Nobody was paying attention to Mr. Harbing, who was droning on and on. All the lacrosse boys looked anxious, checking the clock ever minute as they counted down to the first game of the season.

The bell suddenly shrieked, and there was a symphony of screeching metal as every bolted out of their seats. I stood up as well just when someone knocked into my shoulder, sending my textbook flying.

"Hey, watch it!" I snapped, looking up to see Cam's retreating figure dart out the door. What was with that boy and smashing into people?

Frowning, I bent down to retrieve my textbook, noticing a small, familiar, dark blue, square notebook. Cam's notebook. "Hey wait up!" I called, looking up. The classroom was already empty. Mr. Harbing was the only one left in the room, shuffling a few papers on his desk.

"Do you need something, Ms. McAllister?" he asked, looking puzzled.

I shoved my textbook and Cam's notebook into my bag. "No, sir, nothing," I mumbled, exiting the room.

__________________

I closed the door to my room and flopped onto the bed. After a moments hesitation, I flipped open the blue notebook. Cam's immaculate handwriting covered the first page. I started reading.

Thirty minutes later, the door to my room burst open as Alyssa barged in, cheerful and sing-songy. "Aurelie! I hope you don't mind, but Mrs. McAllister let me in. We have to get ready for the game tonight!" she yelled.

I quickly snapped the notebook shut and shoved it under my pillow.

Alyssa stared at me. "Are you crying?" she asked incredulously.

I quickly wiped at my eyes. "No! It's the dust mites in the closet! They give me allergies!"

Alyssa narrowed her eyes but let it slide. "Whatever you say. Come on! What are you gonna wear tonight for your date with Max?" she said, throwing open my closet door.

I shrugged. "I dunno, what I wear to the game?"

She rolled her eyes. Two seconds later, she flung something onto the bed. A dark sequined tank top, a pair of dark straight-legged jeans, a cropped jacket, and a pair of ankle boots I didn't even know I owned.

I opened my mouth in protest. "Alyssa, those jeans are like five sizes too small and I don't do sparkly things," I said, eyeing the tank.

Alyssa sighed. "Hon, maybe you've been wearing jeans that are five sizes too big. And sparkly is in right now. Trust me, you'll look hot."

"Do I have to wear these killer looking things?" I muttered, picking up one boot. "Can't I wear my converse low-tops?"

"Will you wear the rest of the outfit?" Alyssa demanded.

"Fine," I gave in.

"Good. Come on, get your school spirit on, and let's go to the game!" she said, all-smiles again.

I quickly pulled a sweatshirt over my head, blaring the words McAllister Academy in maroon and white, our school colors.

"Wait a sec," I said to Alyssa quickly, rushing back into my room as I shoved Cam's small notebook into my bag.

"Have fun at the game," Rachel called from the kitchen as we clomped down the stairs.

__________________

Lacrosse Team Locker Room

"This year, the championship is ours!" Coach Gunner yelled, trying to rile up the boys. "I want you to get on that field, and destroy all of them. Get motivated!"

"I know Max will be motivated," Roger sniggered. "He has a chick cheering for him and a date after that."

Max flushed.

Another fellow teammate, Andy, overheard. "So are you really going out with the headmaster's daughter now?" He whistled. "Damn, I wanna see how her daddy reacts to that. Maybe if you're really nice to her, he'll give you automatic straight A's or something!" Andy commented.

Max shrugged. "Maybe," he said vaguely.

Andy started up again, but Cam coughed. "Come on, people! Let's get out there and kick some Mustang ass," he interjected loudly in the locker room.

"Yeah!" Cam's cry was met with several shouts.

"Alright team! Let's go Tigers!" Cam yelled as he led the team out of the locker room.

___________________

Alyssa and I quickly made our way down to the field, where Will would be waiting for us by the bleachers. I spotted McAllister Academy's large group of varsity cheerleaders doing stretches at the edge of the field.

"Beth!" Alyssa called.

I watched in surprise as Beth looked up. She grinned and left her team, waving at us. I didn't know that she was a cheerleader. She certainly didn't really seem like one.

"Hey guys!" Beth greeted us, wearing her maroon and white cheerleading uniform. "Guess what? I'm flying today," she announced rather grimly.

I cocked my head at her. "Flying?"

"Getting thrown up in the air," Alyssa explained. "Beth is one of the only ones on the team that's light enough," she laughed.

"See you later, I have to go," Beth smiled as her captain called her over.

Alyssa tugged on my sleeve. "Look, Will's up there," she pointed to the bleachers.

After paying a buck for a water bottle, we trudged through the throngs of people and up the metal bleachers, settling near the top where Will had saved seats for us.

"Hey," he said. "Look, the lacrosse boys are here," Will pointed at the field as a whole mass of maroon clad boys head out. Across the field, a crowd of blue and yellow clad players and spectators resided.

I spotted a flash of blonde hair down below as Max turned to the stands, unerringly noticed me in the audience, and waved. I grinned and waved back.

Will noticed. "Ooh, Aurelie, I think you have it bad," he laughed.

I rolled my eyes, spotting the brunette that was one of the captains of McAllister Academy's Lacrosse team. He didn't turn around. I bit my lip. Should I return the notebook to him after the game?

And then it was game time. Two grueling hours later, the game finally ended, with a score of four-three, McAllister Academy. Everyone in the stands screamed their approval and the cheerleaders went crazy, jumping up and down, cheering.

"Let's go see them!" Alyssa yelled in my ear as she grabbed me and Will as we blended into the screaming fans.

"You were awesome," I congratulated Max once we got down to the edge of the field.

He flashed me a bright smile. "I know, I was pretty amazing, right?" he laughed good-naturedly.

I giggled. Wait. Since when did I giggle?

"So, you're still on for dinner, right?" he asked hopefully.

"Of course," I answered.

"Great! I'll pick you up at your house in an hour, if it's okay with you. I have to shower and change." Max gave me one last smile, and headed off to the locker rooms.

"Aw, you're such a cutie-pie when you blush," Alyssa cooed at me.

"Shut up, Alyssa," I retorted.

She laughed at me. "Come on, let's go help you get ready for your date!" she said, taking hold of my wrist again.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the same brunette from earlier again. I stopped. "Wait, Alyssa. I have to do something really quickly. I'll meet you at my house in a few minutes, okay?" I said shortly as I pulled away from her, melding into the crowd once again, leaving her standing looking confused.

"Cam!" I called. "Cam Gallagher!" I yelled, finally managing to cut across a few people, touching his shoulder.

He flinched as if he'd been touched by electricity, whirling around. "What?" he snapped.

I recoiled.

"Oh, it's only you," his stated as he saw me. "What do you want?"

I lowered my eyes. "Um, you dropped this during Calc," I murmured, holding out his blue notebook.

Cam's dark eyes widened. He immediately snatched the notebook out of my hands, holding it close to him. "Did you read it?" he suddenly demanded, his tone harsh.

"N-no," I stuttered, glancing up.

His dark eyes flashed and his fist tightened around his lacrosse stick. "You read it," he said, more a statement than a question.

I opened my mouth. "They're really amazing, your stories," I said. "I don't understand why you're hiding them to yourself!"

He glared at me, leaning in so closely that my nose was only inches away from his. I could smell the dried sweat that stained his uniform. "If you tell anyone about what you've read, I swear, you'll be getting more than just detentions," he hissed threateningly.

I gulped. "I-I won't tell…" I whispered hoarsely.

"Good, then go away. I know you have that stupid date with Max tonight," he said, quickly turning and striding towards the locker room, leaving me standing there in the crowd, staring at his retreating back.