Hey Romeo, Don't You Think You're Just a Tad Overrated?

Lunch Room Disasters

I wasn't totally wrong about those boarding school snobs. I had simply just not met one yet. Until Calculus class.

"You're in my seat," a voice said.

I looked up. A very pretty brunette was standing over me, her eyes made up and her pink manicured nails tapping my desktop. Her tiny white Lacoste polo hugged her flat stomach and curvy figure, and her skirt was at least six inches shorter than the dress code demanded. She had an entire posse following her, and she was glaring daggers at me. Now, just how cliché does that sound?

"Excuse me? I was sitting here yesterday too," I said, not moving.

The girl cocked her head, obviously confused to why I hadn't kissed her feet and run away to go sit in the corner. "Uh, well, yesterday, I didn't feel like sitting here. And today I do. So move it," she said.

"Go find another seat, I was here first," I snapped at her, taking out my notebook.

The brunette looked pissed. And unfortunately, she was one of those girls that still looked pretty with her face all contorted.

"What did you say?" she asked icily.

"I said, go find another seat," I pronounced each word slowly. Seriously, she was just bugging me. I was in a terrible mood due to yesterday, and I wasn't up to dealing with snobby rich girls, especially during Calculus.

Someone suddenly chuckled. The prissy brunette turned for the source of the sound. "Cam! I didn't see you there!"

Oh, now I totally know why the prissy girl wanted to sit here.

"Brynne, why don't you just sit somewhere else for today?" Cam suggested, grinning.

I suddenly stood up, gathering all my books together. "You know what, Brynne, you can actually have this seat," I smiled sweetly at her. "I'll go sit somewhere else."

She looked positively surprised, but nonetheless pleased. "Okay, whatever," she managed to say with an eye roll.

I moved to the back corner of the classroom, as far away from Cam Gallagher as I could get. Why the heck was he even in my class? I didn't notice he was there yesterday! Or maybe it was because I was so focused on the fact that Mr. Harbing had embarrassed me in front of the entire class with the "Oh, so you're the new headmaster's daughter?" speech.

Unfortunately, I just had to sit behind the fat kid who farted like there was no tomorrow. And by now, Mr. Harbing had already started his lesson, so I couldn't really move. My life seriously sucked. I mean, how much more worse could it get?

"Alright, today we're going to be working with partners on a packet that will be handed in. Your partners will be assigned according to your assessment that you took yesterday," Mr. Harbing announced.

Ugh. Partners. I hated working in groups.

"Aurelie Chevalier-McAllister…you will be working with Cam Gallagher."

So apparently it could get a lot worse.

"No wait, actually, Aurelie, you'll be working with Bobby Willis," Mr. Harbing corrected himself.

HA! Yes! Someone out there loves me after all! Well, now all I had to do was figure out whom this Bobby Willis was. The fat farting kid sitting in front of me turned around.

"Hi, I'm Bobby," he introduced in a sniffling voice. "Nice to meet you." And then he farted.

Oh. My. Goodness.

______________

Well, everything bad has its upsides right? It turned out Farting Bobby was a math genius. Yup. So basically, he did all the work, and I copied off of him, pretending to understand it.

By the time lunch rolled around, I was starving. I piled my tray high with delicious food, and proceeded to walk over to my usual table when something flew out of nowhere and hit me in the face. I dropped my tray, sprayed food all over the floor, and on top of that, my nose was bleeding pretty badly from the impact. I swore on the top of my lungs. And looked around in horror to see the entire lunch room staring at me.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hit you!" someone yelled.

I glared at the boy that was running towards me, but I didn't glare at him for long. I mean, he was just so adorable! He had shaggy dirty blonde hair and the brightest green eyes.

"It's okay," I managed. My voice came out all nasally since I was pinching in a poor attempt to staunch the bleeding.

"Holy crap, you're bleeding!" the boy's eyes widened in shock. "Here, let me help you get to the nurse," he said.

"No, really it's okay," I said, but it probably came out something like "No, weally, iggs ogay." The adorable boy paid me no attention, grabbed my bag from the ground and ushered me out of the lunch room.

"Oh my, what happened here?" The nurse jumped up as we entered her office.

"She's bleeding," the boy said quickly. "I accidentally hit her in the face with a football," he explained, shooting me an apologetic look.

The nurse quickly led me over to the sink, handing me a wad of paper towels. "Tilt your head up darling, the bleeding should stop soon."

I tilted my head, feeling like a complete idiot.

"I'm so sorry," the boy kept apologizing. "I didn't mean to. I mean, Freddy is an idiot, he didn't catch the ball."

"Mr. Austerlitz, you shouldn't even be throwing things in the lunchroom in the first place!" the nurse reprimanded.

I threw the bloody tissue into the garbage, pleased to see that my nose had stopped bleeding. "It's really not your fault," I said, my voice normal now. "I'm just really clumsy sometimes." I looked down. "Great, I got blood on my shirt," I sighed.

The boy smiled sheepishly. "I'm Max, by the way," he said. "I know, it's really not the time, right?"

I shook my head, smiling. "No, it's fine. I'm Aurelie," I said. He was just so cute!

His eyes lit up. "Oh, you're Headmaster McAllister's new daughter right?"

I sighed, exasperated. "Everyone has got to stop that."

He laughed. "Oops. I guess it can get pretty annoying huh?"

The nurse came back, taking a quick look at me. "The bleeding's stopped. You two can go now," she said.

Max picked up my bag, easily slinging the hundred pound weight over his shoulder. "Come on, I'll walk you back to the Mess Hall. It's the least I can do."

Oh my gosh. I think he just broke the adorable scale by doing that. On the way back to Mess Hall, we just chatted about random things. I found out that he was doing lacrosse during P.E. too, except he was in the advanced group. We were just laughing about the way Coach Gunner spits and turns as red as a tomato when he gets angry when an irritated voice interrupted us.

"Geez, Max, I was looking all over the place for you. Where did you go?"

We stopped laughing. "Oh, hey, Cam," Max said casually. "I had to take Aurelie to the nurse."

Cam looked down at me, one eyebrow raised. I scowled as his eyes traveled down to my chest (no not in that way!), noticing the dried blood on my white shirt. "I see," he said. "Let's go," he said to Max.

Max slid my bag off his shoulder and handed it back to me. "See you around," he smiled.

Cam rolled his eyes, and dragged his friend away. PMS much?

"Aurelie!" a very familiar voice called.

I turned around to see Will running towards me. "Hey, I saw what happened in the lunch room. I was going to help, but Max Austerlitz already walked you over to the nurse so…oh, ew, blood. If we wash it with cold water immediately, it shouldn't stain," he shuddered at the dried blood.

"Where's Beth and Alyssa?" I asked, looking around.

"They have a lab today, so their lunch period is cut short," Will explained shortly.

I nodded. He suddenly had a sly look in his eye.

"What?" I asked him.

"Max Austerlitz, huh? So, two days here and you have all the hot guys going after you. Quite the player, aren't you, Aurelie?" Will winked.

I flushed. "Shut up, Will," I muttered. "Now come and help me wash this stupid blood off my shirt."