I Think I Love You.

One And Only.

"...so, yeah. I love you, Kenny. That's it, that's my big secret and I know I probably sound like a lunatic, but oh well. I love you, and I hope you feel the same," I said nervously, trying to keep the fear out of my voice. "Bye." I hung up the phone, setting it on my nightstand. I turned off the lamp, sitting there in the dark with my knees pressed up tight against my chest, waiting for him to call me back. I had left a six minute message on his phone, basically spilling out everything that I had held inside for the last year and six months.

I waited and waited and waited, until finally he called me back.

"Lizzie?" He sounded drunk, which didn't really surprise me.

"Yeah?"

"I got your um... message."

"Oh." What was I to say now? Everything was said and done.

"I, um, I don't love you," he said, and it sounded so... natural, it hurt. This is what I get for trying to confront things.

"Oh." I tried to strangle back tears, blinking them away in the dark. I looked at an envelope sitting on my desk. It was an acceptance letter from the uni I had been dying to get into, the uni that was the only reason I was almost an entire continent away from home. "I s-see."

"It's just that I don't, simple."

"Oh."

"Can't you say anything else?"

"Goodnight, Kenny." I hung up the phone, crying like an idiot.

*

I accepted the university's offer, which included a full two year scholarship. Since I was going to be a junior in college, it was just fine. Kenny was absolutely shocked when he found out I was leaving, especially when I told him I never wanted to see him again. It had to be done, of course. He broke me in pieces and didn't even say sorry or show remorse.

"Elizabeth!"

"Shut up, Kenny," I said, slamming the car door. I just poured my entire heart out to my best friend, and what do I get for it? A mortified, "I don't love you." It's not like I gave him a part of me or anything, no. I gave him my heart, and he just stomped on it, as if it were a flattened can on the side of the road. I threw my last suitcase in the trunk, fighting the tears that would spill out any moment. I couldn't believe it. I simply wanted to go, to runaway as far as possible. Apparently, I had imagined it all, apparently that night under the cherry trees was something that meant absolutely nothing.

"But I-"

"I said can it, Kenneth." I walked around to the drivers seat, only to see that he had barricaded himself there. "Move."

"No. You're not leaving."

"Am so," I said, pushing my bangs out of my face. "Now move."

"But-"

"MOVE." I shoved him roughly, and pushed away his arms when he tried to pull me from the car door. "I'm going to miss my flight."

"But I don't want you to go."

"Too bad, I want to go."

"But I thought you l-"

"You thought wrong, obviously, and so did I. Now move it, Kenny."

"Penny."

"Read my lips. I. Don't. Love. You."

He looked taken aback when I said that, and moved with no problem.

"Bye, Kenneth," I said, my voice cold as stone. "Hope you're happy." I slammed my car door, revving up the engine. He parked himself right in front of my car.

"No."

"Goddamnit, Kenny!" I got out of the car, slamming the door. "Move!"

"No!"

I sighed, rubbing my temples. "If you're not gonna move, you might as well get in the car," I said defeated. I might as well have some company on my way to the airport, right? He got into the passenger seat.

"You're making a mistake."

"I have to go, my student visa is finished." I drove down the empty highway- seeing as it was still rather early in the morning - messing with the car radio knobs. I said nothing on the way there.

"Say something," he said when we were sitting in the lobby. My flight was leaving in less than fifteen minutes.

"I have nothing left to say."

"What?!"

"I have nothing left to say. I'm going to London. I'm starting over. Hopefully, we'll never see each other again."

"Now boarding, Flight #460A, Gate 45K. I repeat, now boarding, Flight #460A, Gate 45K." I held my carry on, getting up and into the line.

"You really can't go, Lizzie."

"Why not?"

"Because of the cherry blossoms." Oh, so now he remembers? Right as I'm about to leave? How bloody convenient.

I showed the flight attendant my ticket, then started walking.

"Lizzie!"

"What? I have to go, obviously!"

"I-I love you."

"What?" The blood drained out of my face. "You're just saying that." I turned my back and kept walking. He in turn, turned me around and kissed me gently.

"I said I love you, and that's why you can't go."

"Final boarding call for Flight #460A."

"But if that's what you want, then I'll let you have it."

He turned around and I stood there, stupdified, until some rude person pushed me forwards.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know if I should give this a sequel.