‹ Prequel: In the Month of May

One-Hundred Days

Day Fourty-Eight: Abandoned

I walk through abandoned towns, where life as the people who lived in them once knew it is frozen in time by panicked leavings and neglecting to replace an old useless town with something productive. I walk through these towns, where the bibles and songbooks still lay on church pews, and where pots and pans still lay on stoves inside kitchens of houses long forgotten.
These abandoned towns, where the buildings once had life, brought to them by the people who had inhabited their now crumbling walls. They sit vacant now, empty not only of people but of life and spirit. They look out onto the dirt streets through sad windows, waiting for someone to take notice of them, and bring them back their life they lost so many years ago.

My friend stands beside me as I we stare in awe at the abandoned theater that has opened up beneath us. We stand on its rooftop, looking down at the ripped seats and props thrown along the stage. The stage wraps around the front half like teeth, and we stand at the edge of the mouth, waiting to jump inside.
We make our way from the roof inside, walking along the once marble floors, the sunlight reflecting in chains of diamonds off the crystals of the chandeliers hanging above us. I marvel at the opened history around us, taking photos of the crumbling ruins of a once magnificent theater. My friend walks along the aisles, climbing onto the stage, running his fingers along the keys of the grand piano sitting in the corner of the stage.

I walk over to him, covered in the dust that the wind shakes from the chandelier. We weave our way through the layers of heavy curtains until we hit the back wall. We walk along, captured between the curtain and the brick wall, suffocated from dust that hangs from the curtains. As we walk we run into a ladder, and we help each other up its unsteady metal rungs. We stand along the edge, the railing in our hands, as we look out onto the expanse of abandoned cities in front of us.

Their empty streets are begging for life, missing the time they once had it taken away so abruptly from them. We look out towards the horizon, and the abandoned skylines emit dust from the calm breeze. The dust swirls along the winds trails and around our fingertips.

We make our way towards the abandoned ghost towns, to bring the crumbing buildings life, something they have been longing for for years on end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ghost Towns..