‹ Prequel: In the Month of May

One-Hundred Days

Day Fifty-Nine: Words

Say it once more with feeling. Say those words you repeat a thousands times over, the ones you deemed when you were born, and the ones that will grace your final breath. Say those words that keep me on edge yet sit back comfortable and calm. Say those words that keep my breath caught in my throat with each movement of your lips. Say those words that keep me grounded in a tornado constantly trying to throw me into the sky.

Say those words you speak so well, the ones that tear apart my insides while sewing together my broken heart. Say those words that keep you above the ocean, while I am stuck to your side, looking into the water at all of the things living below our feet.
Say the words that keep my heart beating for you, say the words that bring me to life after all this time of feeling so empty it’s closer to death than I care to admit.

Say those words that keep all of us on our feet, dancing along the edges of this grand canyon of a space between you and I. Some nights this distance is too unbearable to remember, but then your words come to me through loose-leaf sheets of paper, so clean and crisp I can almost hear the sound of the typewriter keys in the quiet space of my bedroom. I speak those loose-leaf sheets into existence, and in my mind, it is you reading them aloud, lying beside me with your arm beneath my waist.

Say those words that you confess to me beneath streetlights as the sun rises behind you and sets fire to your silhouette. Say those words once more, with feeling, a feeling that you have never felt but one you cause in me every day. Say the words I have memorized by heart, the ones I repeat to myself everyday, in the hopes that they may bring you nearer. Say the words that leave me standing in front of the map, disappointed, as our locations stay the same across miles and miles of whatever lies between the canyon edges. Say the words that I sing while dancing along the edge of cliffs, if only to get that much closer to you. Say the words that can change the world if only you’d shout them loud enough.

Say the words that will set fire to our motivation and strength, the words that will set fire to our attempts to see each other once more. I know if you scream loud enough they’ll bring us only feet apart, standing face to face, with our hands interlocked below our eyes. Say the words that keep me steady walking through this ghost town while you run across the city each day. Say the words that keep me awake through the night; eyes wide open staring at the ceiling of a room that my mind is miles away from. My mind is with you, listening to you recite these words I can never say enough about. My body is next to yours as you trace the words with your fingertips onto my bare skin. I’ll walk along the edge of canyons and cliffs to only get closer to you.

I’ll scream the words if you’ll only whisper them in my ear. I’ll do the work; I’ll set everything on fire with the words you craft so well, with your tongue between your teeth. I’ll tell everyone the words that they need to hear, the ones they’ve been waiting for decades to remember. I’ll tell everyone the words if you only tell me what they are.
Whisper the words in my ear; I’ll say them aloud once more, with feeling.