‹ Prequel: In the Month of May

One-Hundred Days

Day Sixty-One: Happiness

You lonely live one, breathe. Breathe and nothing else and you will find the one thing you have been searching for. Breathe and you will find the thing you’ve been searching for but you aren’t aware of this supposed and aimless wandering you have been involved in since the day you were born.

I know you; you’re looking for happiness. I can tell by the look of your face, the faded tears resting in your eyes, afraid to leave for fear they’ll be needed once again. I can tell by how you walk around empty streets with the widest eyes and clearest mind, void of everything in hopes of letting something in. I can tell that you are making room for happiness, but no matter how much room you make, it will not come.

I can tell you are searching for happiness, but happiness cannot be found. It cannot be found in money, or in vacant dreams miraculously coming true, as you merely sit and wait for them to happen. It cannot be waited on, either. You cannot sit and wait for happiness to fall into your lap, for it will not come to you, you must go to it. You must go to happiness and plead your case, plead the reasons why it should spend its time on you, of all people, with your wide eyes and empty mind.

But through all of your searching, all of your longing and determination that seems suddenly apparent, you have forgotten to do one thing. You’ve forgotten the simplest of things, while concentrating on empty streets, as simple as a black night blending into pavement. You’ve forgotten the true form of happiness, it’s true source, how it came to be, how it will never cease to exist even when everything else does.

You lonely live one, you are anything but. You are lonely, and you are lonely, but alive, why you are the furthest from it. Being void of happiness is death, and I have never seen someone as empty as you, your lips set so thin they could melt into your skin if they had the urge to. But you and they both have the urges to do many more things than melting into something that so often goes overlooked. You with your sudden urge to do something more with your life, to find happiness and love and change the world. Your lips with the urge to scream and sing every word they have kept to themselves, in fear of disappointing you.
You have never gotten along with yourself, have you? But it seems now, the two of you have come to terms, at least for now, because happiness requires harmony between whatever sides of yourself you have.
Or ignorance.

Lonely live one, please don’t let me digress; I can see your wide eyes and empty mind, your body leaning forward on the edge of your seat. I am honoured, quite so, to know that I have such attention from another human being and not a blank sheet of paper. You are waiting for the thing you have been missing, the thing you have been forgetting.

Lonely live one, you have forgotten how to breathe, and happiness comes from breath entering and exiting lungs. Happiness comes from living, a thing you have seemed to forget how to do these days.

Happiness comes from living, my dear, my lonely one, so get out off these empty streets and fill your mind back up, let it overflow with memories and words and photographs.
Go out there with a head held high and breath in your lungs, and live.
Happiness will fall into your hands shortly.