Status: This has been more or less abandoned, obviously.

July Flame

chapter three

Despite how well the first date had gone, I wasn't really expecting Jonathan to actually call me. I guess it was my inner cynic or whatever, but I was beyond surprised when I answered my phone the next afternoon and realized it was Jonathan, asking for another date. We scheduled one for the end of the week, dinner an hour after I got off work. I had no plans on telling Abby about it, knowing how smug she would be. It ended up being unavoidable, though, when she asked me out for drinks and I said I was busy.

"Busy?" Abby repeated, quirking an eyebrow at me. "Busy with what? Laundry? Grocery shopping? Watching PBS? When are you ever actually busy?"

"Oh, thanks, Abby," I replied sarcastically. I tried to return to work, assuming the conversation had ended, but Abby continued to stare at me from her desk.

"But seriously - what are you doing tonight?"

"Well, if you must know, Jonathan called me and we're going out to dinner -" I began reluctantly, only to be cut off when Abby began squealing.

"Oh my God! A second date?! You never go on a second date!" Abby exclaimed, grinning at me excitedly.

"Considering you usually set me up with a bunch of weirdos, a second date was never much of an option, especially since I barely made it through the first..." I trailed off, allowing Abby to fill the silence with her hyperactive ramblings. She continued for a while until she stopped suddenly and stared, as if something had just crossed her mind.

"How long ago did he ask you out?" she asked incredulously.

"...a couple of days ago..." I mumbled.

"A couple of days? Emmeline Carrigan! You weren't going to tell me about the date, were you!" Abby accused. She actually sounded more impressed than hurt.

"Well... I mean... it's only a second date... it's not really anything worth making a big deal about..." I responded softly, avoiding eye contact.

"Em, I know you and I know Jonny; neither of you are second date people. This is a big deal," Abby said with a smile. "So, where are you guys going this time?"

"Some Italian place I've never heard of. Probably too expensive for what it's worth," I muttered.

"Jeez, he didn't make you pay last time, did he?!"

"What? No, no, but, I mean, I felt bad that he spent so much on dinner..."

"You do realize he's making millions of dollars, right? Jon can afford to pay for your dinner," Abby reasoned.

I nodded, "I'm aware, I'm just - I'm not good at these types of things. I've been self-efficient ever since Cam was born..."

"Well, you better get used to it, Em, because if this date goes well, who knows how long Jonathan's going to be sticking around for," Abby replied. "Speaking of Cam, do you need Patrick and I to watch him?"

"Nah, the girl down the hall is going to... So... what do you think I should wear?"

Abby made a ridiculous face, something Patrick referred to as her "thinking face", which was nothing more than her pretty face being all scrunched up and twitchy.

"Jeans and the gray sweater you bought a few weeks ago. Casual, but not sloppy," Abby finally stated, "But honestly, Emmeline, you could probably wear sweats and a Wings' jersey and you'd still knock him dead."

I furrowed my brow, "The Wings? Is that some hockey thing I don't understand?"
♠ ♠ ♠
A new part, finally! I'm sorry for how scattered I have been lately. There's not much to it, I know, but I'll be done with school next Monday and then I'll get the ball rolling on this.

Comments are supremely welcomed!