‹ Prequel: Story of a Girl

Walls

Summoned

Alex sighed, the plane ride longer than he had expected.

Although he blamed part of it on his nerves.

Another part he blamed on the couple cuddling in the seats next to him. Most of it was his nerves.

He was just nervous about running into Sydney again. When Jesse and Marla had returned to Maryland, Marla called him; saying that Jesse wanted to hang out.

Alex had met up with them at the park, and Marla let Alex watch Jesse without her supervision. Alex laughed as the boy tugged on his hand.

“Auntie Sydney is really pretty!” Jesse had said once they were just sitting on the grass. Alex laughed and looked down at him.

“Your aunt has always been pretty.”

“Yeah, but now she’s blonde!” the eight year old pulled out a camera and Alex laughed shaking his head. He couldn’t imagine himself having a camera when he was Jesse’s age. When the image of Sydney standing with the sun on her, and the sand beneath her feet, Alex felt his heartbeat quicken.

She was still as gorgeous as he remembered. Her hair was now well past her shoulders and her skin tanner. The next picture was of both of them, making funny faces and Alex smiled slightly at her. Her green eyes were just as vibrant as he remembered, and he stroked her picture before he realized what he was doing.

“I guess that you still think that she’s pretty.” Jesse said softly. Alex nodded and looked up, the afternoon sun behind him.

“Jesse-”

“I told her you missed her.” Jesse said quickly. “And she said that she missed you too. But that things were too complicated and she would understand if you never spoke to her again.” Jesse was quiet for a few moments and then continued, “I told her that I thought that you two should just talk. Because never talking about it doesn’t make it go away.”

Alex smiled at that little bit of wisdom, “And where did you hear that, buddy?”

“My mommy told Auntie Sydney that. When I was really little. Auntie Sydney never wanted to talk about daddy. And Mommy said that she needed to. That it would help her heal.”

Alex chuckled, “Your aunt was never one to take advice like that.”

Jesse giggled, “Yeah I know. Mommy says that you and Auntie Sydney should talk, but not force things.”

“Did your mom tell
you that?” Alex asked, his eyebrows coming together.

The boy shook his head, “No. I overheard her talking to Auntie Sydney when I was supposed to be asleep.”

Alex laughed and messed with Jesse’s hair, “Sounds like you’re taking after your aunt.” Jesse beamed and Alex smiled.

“Alex, if I tell you this, you hafta promise that you won’t tell Mommy I told you.”

“I promise, buddy.”

Jesse took a deep breath, “When we came and saw Auntie Sydney at work, she was crying. And when we went into the tent that she was getting her hair done in, your new C.D. was playing.” Jesse bit his lip, “I think a song you wrote made her cry.”

Alex slowly absorbed this information.

Sydney had listened to the new album. She had heard ‘Remembering Sunday’ and ‘Vegas’. She had heard him incorporate her letter that broke his heart into a song.

She knew exactly what she had done to him. And it made her cry.

Alex didn’t know how to feel.


Now the plane was descending, and he was still antsy about Sydney. He knew in his gut that since she had become good friends with Runner Runner, and had mostly rekindled her friendship with V; that his chances of seeing her had gone up.

When he got off with the rest of his band and crew, they walked to baggage claim. “So are you guys going to crash at our place a few times, or stay in the hotel the whole time?” Zack asked, walking out to his girlfriend’s vehicle. She was standing by the trunk, a smile forming on her face. The rest of them were going to go by taxi.

“We’ll see what happens.” Rian said and Zack nodded.

“Alright, well I’ll see you guys later.” As they got into the taxis to take them to the hotel, Alex saw her jump into Zack’s arms and wrap her legs around his waist; the couple kissing passionately.

And yet again, Alex felt a twinge of jealousy. He was watching another happy couple, be happy together. He was happy for his friends, don’t get him wrong, but he knew that he still wanted the same things. Even though he acted like he didn’t.

He was only human after all, and he wanted to be loved for himself.

He sat back and closed his eyes, blocking out Jack’s chatter about their surroundings.

“Alex?”

“Yeah?” he looked over at the chestnut haired girl.

Sydney was laying in his bed, it had been a week since she had moved in. Alex was currently sitting at his computer, but he turned completely around to face her. She was looking at the space in front of her and then she sighed, “You’ll be big. You won’t be one of those bands who are one-hit wonders. You’ll live on in teens hearts.”

He chuckled and got up and climbed into the bed with her. He slid his arms around her waist and sighed, “I hope so.”

She shook her head and continued to face the space in front of her, “You will. No doubt in my mind.” He chuckled and opened his mouth to continue, “You know, it’ll probably be a few years before they’re able to charge him.”

Alex didn’t know what to say, so he just held the girl, and she seemed fine with that. “Anyway, I think that I should get another job.”

“Why?”

“I feel bad for intruding on your parents like this, so I’m going to pay them.”

Alex shook his head, “They won’t take it.”

“Then they don’t take it. But I want to at least offer.” Sydney replied, shrugging.

Alex smiled, “Most people wouldn’t think to do that.”

Sydney turned and smirked and Alex was relieved that she was back to normal, “Oh Alexander, you should know by now that I’m not like most people.”

Alex grinned and nodded, “That is a fact that I could never forget.”


“Alex, man, are you awake? We’re here.” Jack’s voice took him out of the memory and Alex got out of the taxi with his friend.

After settling into the hotel, there was a knock at the door. Alex got up and answered it. The bell boy looked at him, “Are Misters Alex Gaskarth, Jack Barakat and Rian Dawson here?”

Alex raised an eyebrow and nodded, “Yeah.”

The boy handed him the three envelopes and walked away. Alex opened the one with his name on it and his jaw dropped. Jack came out of the bathroom and raised an eyebrow at his friends expression.

“Alex, what’s up?”

“We’ve been summoned as witnesses.”

“Witnesses?” Jack asked confused. Alex nodded, “In Sydney’s rape.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Blah, sorry it's short, but I'm sick. :/

Give me a few comments and I'll update in a week. :]]]