Wandering at Dawn

one / one

In a narrow street in the outskirts of a small town, spray of fine droplets misted the road making a vague visual of the enclosed place. The condensed atmosphere was mixed with the smell of daybreak in that particular morning.

It was clear by the looks of the sky and how the morning started that it was going to be a frigid day.

Serene as it was, despite the tranquil manner of how the wind hushed its way through every part of that town, something about it felt so . . . dead.

But that’s not the only thing that felt so lifeless.

As the remaining source of artificial light of a lamppost was un-illuminated, a sound of heavy patted footsteps was heard coming from down the street, making its way through the deserted road but yet unaware of where it’s heading.

Under the safety of a grey umbrella, from the shower of the ever so lightly drizzle of raindrops, a dirty-blonde haired wanderer drowned himself in the comfort of the cold and the music blaring from the iPod that was carefully buried deep in his tight jeans pocket.

His piercing green eyes, beautiful as it was, showed a deep sign of nothingness. His soft, pale face was blank, like a corpse more or less. Everything about his exterior shouts dead.

What he’s feeling in the inside was worse tenfold.

I’m wandering the streets in a world underneath it all.

The wanderer started to hum.

In a subdued tone, almost like a whisper, he sang to the song of what his iPod started to play.

But nothing seems to be, nothing tastes as sweet as what I can’t have.

He was just standing there at the edge of the pavement. Both of his hands clutched at the handle of the umbrella. His eyes directed on the wet, stoned road. But his mind was someplace else, somewhere in his painful past.

They were runaways, you see. Denied by loved ones and shunned by their homes. Not accepted because of the person of their choosing to be with.

But that didn’t stop them.

Fate brought them together. Fate approved of them together. And now, trusting fate as they never left each other and been wandering the world ever since, just the two of them. It seemed that it was more fortunate that they have runaway and left everything behind rather than suffering every passing day without their other half.

Forgive me if st-stutter, from all of the clutter in my head.
‘Cause I could fall asleep in those eyes. .


Her eyes, they were his favorite. Behind the thick batter of lashes was a warm butterscotch color that you could easily be lost in to.
But he wouldn’t forget her voice, the velvet texture and musical intonation you wouldn’t get enough of.

Just thinking about it, it’s making him miss her more. Missing the way he used to nuzzle at her neck and leaving a trail of soft little kisses, sliding his arms around her little waist, remembering how perfect it fit with her hands around his neck.

He would do anything to be with her again. As of that moment, the thought of intentionally killing oneself doesn’t seem to be at all risky. He has nothing to lose. He already lost everything.

The surrounding silence broke when out of the blue, the grey umbrella touched the ground and hit the sidewalk, making a small clang sound that was hardly heard in that nearby area.

. . I want to be exposed, and not be afraid to fall.

The confounded little wanderer hesitantly moved then laid himself in the cold, damp sidewalk. Flinching when his back made contact with the wet ground. He closed his eyes and took in the morning air.

The hard, muddy pavement seemed to be unexpectedly soft for him. It felt like laying in the soft green grass in a meadow with wild flowers popping in every corner. It felt like laying in the soft bed he used to sleep in with his dear little Annabelle.

Annabelle. The name he treasured most. The name he held meaning that completed his own little world, the name that was still in the back of his head with the words ‘I heart’ in the beginning of it.
She was the girl that he held dear but lost. His thoughts rushed back to that unfaithful day that he lost her.

It started off as a bright day. He appeared to be falling in love more and more with every passing moment, his eyes always leaving a glint of happiness.

A piercing sound of a car crash was heard from outside, across the street. It was too late to save her. The sound of wailing sirens was heard a moment after and flashes of blue and red lights were spotted coming from the distance.

For you, I will. .

He stretched his arms towards the gloomed sky. As if wanting to be taken away, wanting for someone to pick him up and remove him from the dreadful place he’s in.

To be with his lover’s side, that’s where he wished to be in, where he desired to be at. With her in the celestial realm she’s now in.

For you, I will.

The song slowly started to fade, meeting its end. As the downpour of rain hardened and a jolt of thunder scarred the dark sky, an unexpected ambience of peace and solitude arise from the un-heavenly grounds.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'm gonna muster every ounce of confidence I have"
- For You I Will (Confidence) Teddy Geiger

Cold -- kinda' related to this poem.
My first contest •_•
Thank you for reading. Please Comment and tell me what you think. ?