‹ Prequel: Accidents Can Happen
Status: Updated on random occasions

Life After Death

Of This Misadventure

Seven Months Later

I was in love. I never felt like that before so I took the feeling that had manifested deep in my soul to be love. I wasn't sure if the feeling, if love, was supposed to grow so soon, so fast. But it seemed that with each passing day, each passing minute my love for Alex grew. I was worried that one day my body and mind wouldn't be able to hold it all and I would explode. It wasn't like the feelings I had for Wade Wilson all those years ago. That was a simple teenage crush. This, this was something completely different.

Over the past seven months, my feelings weren't the only that changed. Brittney had finally gotten the courage to talk to Tyler and they were going on five months now. I got promoted to hostess at the fancy restaurant I worked at. The pay was better and it was a lot less stressful than being a waitress. And between work and my social life I still managed to maintain a low A in all my classes, which was quite a feat for me since I was a major procrastinator.

There was just only one thing that bothered me. I had yet to tell Alex the truth about my mutation. Again, I was worried about his reaction. I'd probably be institutionalized if Alex left me because I was honest with him. And even though I planned on telling him about my ability, I didn't plan telling him everything. I planned on sticking to my well conceived back story. Some of it was true. My birth parents dead in a plane crash (true), I was then shipped from foster family to foster family until I decided to get emancipated and live on my own. It was so much simpler than reciting the novel that was my past.

Alex had a similar past. His parents were killed in a car accident when he was five. His older brother, Scott, and him were then put in foster care. Alex and Scott were adopted into different families and it had been over ten years since they saw each. Alex grew up in Hawaii before attending Berkeley for geophysics. It was a Thursday night when I decided to tell him about my secret.

Both of us were sitting on the small black couch his roommate and him had managed to cram into their dorm room watching a crappy movie when I broke the ice. “Alex, can I tell you something?”

Without taking his eyes off the screen, he nodded his head. “Sure, hon.”

I exhaled heavily. Alex would watch anything as long as it had bright colors. To get his attention, I crawled across the couch to sit on his lap. The position I was in was a bit awkward but it got his attention. I'm sure it was hard to ignore someone when their face was just a few inches from yours, especially when that someone is your girlfriend. “I'm going to tell you something but you have to promise you won't freak out.”

I think the seriousness in my voice caught him off guard. He wasn't a serious person so any form of it made him uncomfortable. “I won't freak out.” He said cautiously.

“You know how I told you that I have to constantly dye my hair....well that not exactly true.” I said maybe a bit too fast.

A soft laugh escaped Alex's lips. “Lorna, seriously? I don't care what color your hair is. I mean -”

“I'm not finished, Alex.” I cut him off before I lost the nerve to tell him the truth. “I haven't been exactly honest with you about everything. I....uh....I'm.....” I wasn't sure how to say it so I just blurted it out. “I'm a mutant.”

There was no taking it back. A thousand questions filled my head immediately after I said those three words. Did I do the right thing? Was it too soon? He believes me, right? Why am I such an idiot? A loud laugh burst from Alex's lips. Oh, God. He thinks I'm insane. He continued laughing until I punched him in the chest. “Stop laughing at me!” I said in a hateful voice.

“You too, huh?” He managed to say between laughs. That was when the confusion set in. “Lorna, honey, it's quite possible we were made for each other. I'm a mutant too.” The last four words stuck in my mind, hovering before my eyes. He was making fun of me. Or was he serious. To prove his point he pointed at a spot on the wall next to us. A small black fly had landed there. From the palm of his hand a bright pale light erupted and shot in the direction of the fly. A split second before the fly was obliterated it flew away to safety. It left behind a burning hole in the wall the size of a baseball.

With a smile on my face I announced, “You missed.” Without lifting a finger, I picked the fly swatter, by its metal handle, from its place on the stereo and five seconds later the fly was on the floor dead.

Alex continued to smile. “Aren't you cool?”